Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:36 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:

As for my reply sounding like something you've heard before, maybe another de-restricted area which did not work???

These arguments are always much the same, but on closer analysis don't really seem to hold much water - ie myths rather than reality.

The Scottish Taxi Fed made a major point about part-timers, yet many locations in the UK are riddled with part-timers, with or without restricted numbers. Indeed on the Edinburgh forum one of the posters described a weekend part-timer as the cream on the cake, so I think that demonstrates what I was saying about part-timers being welcome only on the terms dicatated by plate holders.

Similarly, quality is always a big point, and on another thread earlier today we had a report on the Brighton committee meeting recently where the the chairman was concerned that 'old-bangers' might appear with de-restriction. But the committee decides which cars to let on, so his point seemed completely invalide.

Perhaps he was confusing de-restriction of numbers with deregulation (ie removal of all controls) in which case it perhaps demonstrates his total lack of suitability for the job.

Thus I suspect some of the Dunfermline arguments may be just those parroted from elsewhere whether or not they are actually valid.

By the same token, the Scottish Taxi Fed regurgitated some stuff that Dublin had fed them - ie how bad deregulation had been according to US studies, but this was indeed about deregulation and not just removing numerical controls - ie the stuff was totally invalid to the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:47 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
I notice you and sussex are trying to make lots of educated guess's using your knowledge of other areas and de-regulation, but me thinks, until we are in posession of the facts and figures either from Fife Council or a driver or two from that particular area we should avoid waffling on to the extent we loose track of the original quote.

But sadly that's generally how restricted numbers come about in the first place, and are retained subsequently.

Another example which sounded like the Dunfermline line was the T&G's Pete Kavanagh at the House of Commons Trans Committee meeting after the OFT. His point was that there is a huge influx of part-timers following de-restriction but then they dissapear again meaning less vehicles than before de-limitation. Although I've heard the part-timers argument plenty of times, this was a new angle, and this was essentially just accepted as gospel by the Trans Comm, although it was at best just anecdotal evidence. (But there were the usual contradictory arguments about bankruptcies, lack of rank space and the like - less cars means more bankruptcies?)

Another example was the Scottish Tax Fed stuff, which we did an indepth analysis on in our Myth and Reality document, which you can download via our frontpage - it's quite a lengthy read, but might fill in a few gaps during the kipper.

I think it exposes some of the arguments for what they are, and shows the simplistic and self-serving nature of the arguments, and cites much verifiable data in support.

But the Scottish Exec accepted the Scot Taxi Fed et al's version of events, and said that the OFT's opponents had put up a robust defence, or suchlike - have a read and see what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:50 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Whilst i can't comment on the commiment of all these new Taxi's and drivers, I believe people would naturaly show more commitment to their full time careers.

But presumably London doesn't suffer in this way even though it's never been restricted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:17 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
St Andrews, Crail, Pitenweem, well i don't know what your workloads are like, but you certainly ply in an area of outstanding beauty! 8)

Its still my intention to retire to Anstruther, gorgeous! :lol:

Bloomin 'eck, you seem to know the area better than some of the drivers :shock:

All the East Neuk villages are nice, St Monance and Elie as well.

But there's something about Anstruther I dont like - too many neds (I think thats what you call chavs), but compared to the big cities their all probably quite tame.

Crail has one taxi based there - strangely its an old Metro cab so you might feel more at home there if you want to hire a cab - the area is otherwise all saloons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:21 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[Well i suppose its 'big' in comparison with St Andrews, but to London??? :lol:

Its all relative; I think Dunfermilne is a big city, and Dundee is a metropolis!

London is abroad anyway :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:56 pm 

deecee wrote:
I've posted this yesterday, but its probably been lost as I'm only just getting use to the site. But the reason I came on the site was that you was slagging off mark Royden from Wirral.

You say I was slagging off Mark Royden? Or do you mean someone on the site was slagging off Mark Royden. I assume by "slagging off" you mean criticising Mr. Royden? Whichever way you interpret slagging off it is customary to point out the offending liable. Is your criticism generated to a particular post or is it a generalisation?

I don't believe I have ever criticised Mr Royden on a personal basis, I believe his judgement was misguided and so was that of the other 91 members of his Branch that were cited in the court case. Being misguided and unable to understand previous case law is not a crime. I'm sure Mr Royden is a wiser man for having travelled down the road he did and that statement likewise applies to the other 91 participants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:00 pm 

deecee wrote:
I've posted this yesterday, but its probably been lost as I'm only just getting use to the site. But the reason I came on the site was that you was slagging off mark Royden from Wirral.

You say I was slagging off Mark Royden? Or do you mean someone on the site was slagging off Mark Royden. I assume by "slagging off" you mean criticising Mr. Royden? Whichever way you interpret slagging off it is customary to point out the offending libel. Is your criticism generated to a particular post or is it a generalisation?

I don't believe I have ever criticised Mr Royden on a personal basis, I believe his judgement was misguided and so was that of the other 91 members of his Branch that were cited in the court case. Being misguided and unable to understand previous case law is not a crime. I'm sure Mr Royden is a wiser man for having travelled down the road he did and that statement likewise applies to the other 91 participants.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:06 pm 

TDO wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
Whilst i can't comment on the commiment of all these new Taxi's and drivers, I believe people would naturaly show more commitment to their full time careers.

But presumably London doesn't suffer in this way even though it's never been restricted?

Well there's a point. :wink:

Yes you are correct with regard to the vehicles, anyone who (is rich enough) can buy a taxi and license it, (well as long as its an LTI product)
providing they are registered as a proprieter with the gestapo.

But the drivers are restricted by virtue of the knowledge which you are no doubt aware takes on average about 3 years.

Now if you were to hand a badge out willy nilly to anyone who can stand upright and operate a sat-nav system, what situation would exist then? (apart from Bronze M'holdings share value going up)

The majority of guys and gals who undertake this generaly give up work and go 'on the knowledge' full time, therefore as i have mentioned before, forfeit in excess of say £50 - 60K, which in comparison with buying a restricted plate . . . . .

Part timers do have an effect on the London trade, as i have posted previously the part timers in the main are semi retired males usualy
about 65 plus (bless them), now this is great if you need a taxi between the hours of 6am and 8pm, but after that, nope, not many to be seen, and after midnight none, just as the demand starts to peak.

Thankfully T3 has had some effect on encouraging more cabs to come out, but still not enough, although this mirrors the situation across the country.

I would hate to think TFL's answer would be to license another 2000 drivers??? :sad:

Anyway, the games dead. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:14 pm 

TDO wrote:
Another example was the Scottish Tax Fed stuff, which we did an indepth analysis on in our Myth and Reality document, which you can download via our frontpage - it's quite a lengthy read, but might fill in a few gaps during the kipper.

Will do, I've got until june to read it.
Tell me TDO, and you don't have to disclose, did you have any input on the O.F.T report that was released?

Do you work for the O.F.T? :shock:

Are you Mr T, trying reverse phsycology? :shock:

Will we ever get a spill cheik on this forum eusasmiles.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:41 pm 
Greenbadgecabby. ah-ay mate what have i ever done to you o.f t. they and him can go and F.T,S love..mr.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:58 pm 
MR.G.B.C. 2000.DRIVERS....We went from 100.cabs working the road.to 271 all with sets in. then it got worse. love .MR.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:43 pm 

MR T wrote:
Greenbadgecabby. ah-ay mate what have i ever done to you o.f t. they and him can go and F.T,S love..mr.T

Well you certainley confirmed yourself and TDO are NOT the same!!

Regards GBC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:44 pm 

TDO wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
['In my opinion'. 'To me' 'you're either for it or agaist it'

Some would suspect you are opinionated. :wink:

Perhaps, but what I was trying to make clear with such words was that these were just my own views, and accordingly weren't the definitive answer.

Thus the opposite of the quality that you attribute to me?

In your opinion? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:46 pm 

JD wrote:
deecee wrote:

You say I was slagging off Mark Royden? Or do you mean someone on the site was slagging off Mark Royden. I assume by "slagging off" you mean criticising Mr. Royden? Whichever way you interpret slagging off it is customary to point out the offending libel. Is your criticism generated to a particular post or is it a generalisation?

Best wishes

JD

Twice JD?! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:54 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
JD wrote:
deecee wrote:

Best wishes

JD

Twice JD?! :lol:

lol there was a spelling mistake in the first one, I'm glad it got deleted lol nice to see someones on the ball.

Best wishes

JD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next