Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:49 pm 
TDO wrote:
- There may be saloon plate premiums in a Gateshead-type scenario after allowing unlimited WAVs, but they will be lowered, at least in the short term, thus the term 'retained' is to that extent misleading;

Wrong again, and more evidence that you do not accept.

Plate values prior to derestriction £6k.
Plate values after derestriction now £10k.

Plate values in Gateshead were a constant £5500 - £6000 for approx 5 years prior to derestriction. 8 years after derestriction we have seen prices of plates nearly double.

In areas where you show plate values to be high a vehicle is very often included in the amount demanded, yet you do not show this.

I'm not having a go at what your trying to do here, I'm just asking that the language you use should properly describe the figures that you show, it will add to the credibility of the peice should you chose to publish it.

Isn't it better to have these "questionable" aspects raised now than after the whole piece is discredited because of them.

Secondly Councils don't issue plates for free, there is an annual charge which must be met by the plateholder, another point that might, or indeed, be petty, but again its an observation mean't to help rather than hinder the amount of work which needs to go into such documents.

In order to recieve the support of the public, your better off just telling the truth instead of trying to trick the public, or the people who you intend to read the piece, into thinking something is happening when it quite clearly is not.

In areas which operate restrictive policies and also a WAV only policy the effect of derestriction will of course be different, but how many of those councils are considering derestricting compared with those who will maintain a quota on saloon HC whilst derestrict to allow WAVs, I wager a small percentage.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:49 pm 

Yorkie wrote:
have you got over the flu yet?

Haven't had the flu for at least twenty years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:02 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
TDO wrote:
- There may be saloon plate premiums in a Gateshead-type scenario after allowing unlimited WAVs, but they will be lowered, at least in the short term, thus the term 'retained' is to that extent misleading;

Wrong again, and more evidence that you do not accept.

Plate values prior to derestriction £6k.
Plate values after derestriction now £10k.

Plate values in Gateshead were a constant £5500 - £6000 for approx 5 years prior to derestriction. 8 years after derestriction we have seen prices of plates nearly double.

I've never denied that saloon premiums might increase eventually - note that I did say that I was talking about the short-term.

If Brighton did a Gateshead, for example, I suspect saloon plate values would drop, but would be retained assuming they were allowed to continue using saloons, and assuming that the new plates had to continue to use WAVs.

But once the market has stabilised, then as far as saloons are concerned they should behave like any restricted location generally does now - ie they will generally show increases in valuation, if only to reflect inflation.

Thus de-restriction on the Gateshead model should result in initial decreases in saloon premiums then increases in the longer term. Thus I'm not denying what you say about premiums in Gateshead, but that the cause of the increases is not de-restriction, thus your statement is not wholly accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:07 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
In areas where you show plate values to be high a vehicle is very often included in the amount demanded, yet you do not show this.

I'm not having a go at what your trying to do here, I'm just asking that the language you use should properly describe the figures that you show, it will add to the credibility of the peice should you chose to publish it.

Isn't it better to have these "questionable" aspects raised now than after the whole piece is discredited because of them.

It's JD's work, not mine, so I can't really speak for him definitively, but that aspect was mentioned at the outset, and I'm sure JD has taken every reasonalbe step to make sure any figures supplied are adjusted to ensure the vehicle is not included.

If you access the document via the frontpage there's information about uncertainty with the figures, so everyone will know that there's a degree of uncertainty in them.

JD certainly seems to have done a lot more research than some of the official figures that are often quoted, such as the LA document used to justify restrictions, but which now seem to be a bit wide of the mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:09 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
In areas which operate restrictive policies and also a WAV only policy the effect of derestriction will of course be different, but how many of those councils are considering derestricting compared with those who will maintain a quota on saloon HC whilst derestrict to allow WAVs, I wager a small percentage.

I wouldn't doubt that, but when has anyone on here suggested otherwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:13 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Secondly Councils don't issue plates for free, there is an annual charge which must be met by the plateholder, another point that might, or indeed, be petty, but again its an observation mean't to help rather than hinder the amount of work which needs to go into such documents.

Again you are perfectly correct, but your point is petty to the extent that we've considered it umpteen times before, and I think everyone now knows what is meant when the statement is made, and 'free' is used as shorthand for something like 'at a cost immaterial in the context of plate premiums'.

Indeed, I used to use the term free in inverted commas - 'free' - to denote that it wasn't meant literally, but stopped doing this since I assumed everyone knew what it meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:19 pm 

In fact if you look further up the thread to the post you made in the early hours of this morning you will read:

All I'm asking for is fairness of statements here, plates have in most cases been sold by the person who recieved it free and the prices quoted were certainly not charged at that time. I'm not requesting that this information be included, as it would be impossible to collect, however proper representation of the correct facts is essencial to ensure the credibility of the piece if published

So there you use the term free in the way that you are now saying isn't accurate!

I think that's what's called hoist with your own petard!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:01 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:

Secondly Councils don't issue plates for free, there is an annual charge which must be met by the plateholder, another point that might, or indeed, be petty, but again its an observation mean't to help rather than hinder the amount of work which needs to go into such documents

How do you define the word free? In a Hackney carriage licence scenario everyone has to pay administration costs, even though the licence itself carries no financial burden. It doesn't matter if you bought a plate on the black market or you got one issued for free, the fact is that Every owner has to pay administration costs.

When the word "Free" is applied to Hackney carriages licenses it means license issued for free, except for administration costs. Is that better? do you think you can handle that interpretation?

Now perhaps you can tell us who wrote the passage below with regard to the word "free" and how do you reconcile this statement with the nonsensical statement you made above.

Quote:
My advice, based on my knowledge gained through working in a deregulted area, is that in areas where H/C numbers rise more than 200% the opyion to work independantly of an office is much less viable with every new plate issued.

We have therefore seen an increase in driver expenditure as the relevant fees demanded from operators must be paid as well as the increased running costs associated with the WAV's, the ONLY vehicle type which is being offered "free" entry to the trade.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:09 pm 

JD wrote:

Leeds £20,000 402 £8,040,000

The Leeds plate value should read 35k they are back on the increase since the initial scare of de restriction two month ago. Perhaps the lads in Leeds know something we don't.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:16 pm 
TDO wrote:
In fact if you look further up the thread to the post you made in the early hours of this morning you will read:

All I'm asking for is fairness of statements here, plates have in most cases been sold by the person who recieved it free and the prices quoted were certainly not charged at that time. I'm not requesting that this information be included, as it would be impossible to collect, however proper representation of the correct facts is essencial to ensure the credibility of the piece if published

So there you use the term free in the way that you are now saying isn't accurate!

I think that's what's called hoist with your own petard!!

All I will say is that following acceptance of truthful fact, being that the plate initially, and some considerable years ago was issued without charge to the original recipient but then susequently, in the majority cases, sold onto another person whom payed a premium. Furthermore the purchaser of a licence cannot operate that licence without paying an annual fee to the issuing authority.
In many cases a plate will have changed hands many times for many differing amounts as somethimes the actual vehicle licensed is included in the transaction.

You, TDO, have isolated a word within a post, then mis-quoted the author way out of contect by not quoting what preceeded or followed the use of the word.

Never mind though, I'm getting used to it by now, unfortunatly so are many others.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:26 am 

TDO wrote:
I've always been curious about the 'causes' of part-time drivers, so your comments are clearly interesting in this regard.

A paper on the Dublin taxi trade written by economists at Trinity College Dublin said:

In London, where entry is not regulated but fares are controlled, all drivers must take the same "knowledge" test. The market is supplied by a large proportion of part-time drivers.

A footnote to this says:

Beesley & Glaister (1983) report that 15 per cent of all London taxi drivers have other full-time occupations.

To me 15% doesn't seem that much, but on the other hand B&G's definition of part-time cleary isn't the same as your own.

Also interesting was a report in the Evening Standard at the time of the firefighters' strike which said that 500 London taxi badge holders were firefighters.

I found this figure amazing, but the article wasn't clear whether this was just green badge holders or included yellow as well - incidentally, how many yellow badge holders are there?

But intuitively I've always assumed that the harder it is to get a badge then the fewer part-timers there will be, since people would be less likely to do the KOL to work 15 hours a week than do so in an LA without a knowledge test at all.

But of course the KOL might deter people with current full-time jobs that they have no intention of leaving (like the firefighters, say) but clearly wouldn't be a deterrent to those who have worked full-time as a green badge holder but then work part-time while 'semi-retired' as you describe them.

To cover the first point, Greenbadgecabby wishes he had secondary employment after tonights results, London's sky was glowing yellow.

The 500 firefighters story was written and published by The Evening Standard, which is't exactly known for its support of the Fire brigade's Union (lets hope Ms Wadleys arse burns one night) Now Ms Wadley apparantley is good friends with Bob ODDY from the LTDA, so no prizes for guessing where that eminated from.

Doing the KOL with a full time job, whilst taking longer is none the less achievable, hence Firemen and post office people seem to sign on in ever increasing numbers because of their shift patterns.
My only hope is some more commit to working when demand is highest, and not as the 'old boys' do, by working no later than 10PM. :-|

The yellow's amount to around 3500, covering the various suburban sectors around the centre (6 miles) of London.
I know a couple from the garage, whilst not for me as it is a bit limited working the same area day in day out, they seenm to earn a reasonable wedge, but again by working evenings, nights, weekends etc.

Its quicker to do a yellow badge so it suits the semi retired more than the 'all London'

I notice its bash tdo time on this forum! What have you done now? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:33 am 
TDO wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
have you got over the flu yet?

Haven't had the flu for at least twenty years!

ah ah, so the court session hasnt started yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:52 am 
JD wrote:
I've stopped responding to your posts Angel because some of the things you say are completely nonsensical, such as the statement above. You know very well what the list represents and it certainly doesn't represent saloon vehicles which hold a small plate premium in unrestricted Authorities that have a policy of quality control rather than quantity control.

JD I'm sorry that you feel as though my responses to your work are completely nonsensical.

A council which states its delimiting providing a WAV is produced but is maintaining a quota on the number of saloon vehicles it licenses is surely still operating quantative restrictions.

That aside, I don't understand why you have such a problem with using correct language, unless the intention is to mislead the reader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:08 pm 

JD wrote:
The Leeds plate value should read 35k they are back on the increase since the initial scare of de restriction two month ago. Perhaps the lads in Leeds know something we don't.

I suspect the ones in the know are selling to the ones that aren't. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:26 pm 
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

I suspect the ones in the know are selling to the ones that aren't. :sad:

Or Sussex the ones in the know are buying from the ones who don't. just as :sad:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next