Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:56 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Or Sussex the ones in the know are buying from the ones who don't. just as :sad:

B. Lucky :twisted:

Perhaps if plate values were falling, but the scenario being commented on was one of rising plate values.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:01 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
[
A council which states its delimiting providing a WAV is produced but is maintaining a quota on the number of saloon vehicles it licenses is surely still operating quantative restrictions.

Not long ago you were saying that de-restriction causes plate values to increase.

Others were telling you that this was in a Gateshead-type scenario, thus saloon plates were still restricted.

Now you've turned the tables and are telling us what we told you!

JD pointed out elsewhere that his list is based on authorities that have de-restricted in at least one type of taxi license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:02 pm 

Yorkie wrote:
TDO wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
have you got over the flu yet?

Haven't had the flu for at least twenty years!

ah ah, so the court session hasnt started yet?

Wot, you mean immigration tribunal :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:03 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[I notice its bash tdo time on this forum! What have you done now? :wink:

Nothing new about that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:06 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[
Doing the KOL with a full time job, whilst taking longer is none the less achievable, hence Firemen and post office people seem to sign on in ever increasing numbers because of their shift patterns.
My only hope is some more commit to working when demand is highest, and not as the 'old boys' do, by working no later than 10PM. :-|

I suspect they'll committ to working when it fits round their shift patterns :?

I wasn't surprised about the firefighters story, but it was the numbers that I couldn't believe. Do you think the pudding was over-egged a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:10 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
You, TDO, have isolated a word within a post, then mis-quoted the author way out of contect by not quoting what preceeded or followed the use of the word.

Of course the word was isolated, because it was the use of this paricular word that was being questioned.

If I was quoting out of context, then why not point out how this was.

The answer is that I wasn't - you used the word free in a particular sense, and then when others used the same word in the same sense, you said that they weren't being accurate - pots, kettles and black, and that kind of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:11 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
[Never mind though, I'm getting used to it by now, unfortunatly so are many others.

Wot, you mean having what you say scrutinised instead of it being accepted as gospel?

Welcome to TDO Mick :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:15 pm 

TDO wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Or Sussex the ones in the know are buying from the ones who don't. just as :sad:

Perhaps if plate values were falling, but the scenario being commented on was one of rising plate values.

I was informed by one person in Leeds that the plates on saloon vehicles had a slightly higher value than the traditional black cabs. I wonder why, if it is true of course?

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:30 pm 

JD wrote:
I was informed by one person in Leeds that the plates on saloon vehicles had a slightly higher value than the traditional black cabs. I wonder why, if it is true of course?

I think any recent plates issued in Leeds have been WAV-only, in which case the scenario is the second of the three possible main ones that I outlined a few days ago (see below).

I think there are a few like this, and are of course distinguished from the Gateshead scenario in that both saloon numbers and WAV numbers are still restricted.

That's another complication for your figures John, but presumably if you get a few valuations then you will be arriving at some kind of average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:31 pm 

Forgot to post the scenarios:

1 Restricted with equal conditions - all plates have the same value.

2 Restricted with unequal conditions - eg in Brighton, where some runs saloons, but others WAVs - here both plates have a value, but the WAV plate will be less because of the more onerous conditions.

3 De-restricted but with unequal conditions - eg Gateshead, where the saloons have a premium because they are less costly to run than the WAVs. But WAV plates have no value because they are unrestricted. So strictly speaking saloon plates are still restricted, so a useful description might be partial de-restriction.

Of course, Brighton, for example, could move from 2 to 3 by 'Gatesheading', but the saloon plates would still have a value.

In theory, there could be all types of different plates and values eg saloon without an age-rule, saloons with an age-rule, brand new WAVs, any WAV, but I don't know any actual cases offhand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:44 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

I think any recent plates issued in Leeds have been WAV-only, in which case the scenario is the second of the three possible main ones that I outlined a few days ago (see below).

That would explain it.

What needs to be determined in these Authorities such as Gateshead and now Leeds is their policy on saloon vehicles. For example, what's the shelf life of a saloon vehicle before it ceases to be no longer licensed.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:54 pm 

Yes, like everything else I think it depends on each individual LA.

In Brighton new plates are issued to WAVs only, but I don't think there is any currentintention to change the conditions for saloons, in which case these plates will always be more financially advantageous to operate.

Of course, the DDA could change all that, but I think many mainly saloon LAs are de-limiting or issuing new plates to WAVs because it makes any new issues slightly more palatable to the saloon trade in that it limits the number of new plates that there would be if saloons were allowed (at least in the de-restriction scenario) and also means that the saloon trade are under less pressure to do wheelchair work and/or go WAV.

No doubt many would like to go all WAV, but they can wait for the DDA and then blame the Govt, but in the meantime issue new plates for WAVs and this takes the heat out of the issue.

Cynic, moi :lol:

Told you the exercise was fraught with difficulty!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:09 am 
TDO wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
You, TDO, have isolated a word within a post, then mis-quoted the author way out of contect by not quoting what preceeded or followed the use of the word.

Of course the word was isolated, because it was the use of this paricular word that was being questioned.

If I was quoting out of context, then why not point out how this was.

The answer is that I wasn't - you used the word free in a particular sense, and then when others used the same word in the same sense, you said that they weren't being accurate - pots, kettles and black, and that kind of thing.

Hey TDO, your having a laugh.

You state that plates are issued free by the council but holders demand premiums up to £70k for them.
You don't however explain that the majority of current plateholders didn't obtain the plate for free from the local authority but had to pay the previous holder of the plate for the rights to it, in turn the previous holder had to pay for it and in most cases you have to go back through many holders before you actually get to the first holder who obtained the licence free from the council.

The termanology used suggest that every one of the current plateholders got their plate for free, and that quite simply isn't true.

JD is being accurate in his figures why can't the report be accurate in its explaination or summary.

Could it be because it weakens your argument :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:49 am 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
You don't however explain that the majority of current plateholders didn't obtain the plate for free from the local authority but had to pay the previous holder of the plate for the rights to it, in turn the previous holder had to pay for it and in most cases you have to go back through many holders before you actually get to the first holder who obtained the licence free from the council.

So we all have to feel sorry for the queue jumpers then? :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:06 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:

So we all have to feel sorry for the queue jumpers then? :sad:

How childish.

I don't want you to feel sorry for anyone Sussex, I just want people to acknowledge the true facts and report them accordingly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next