Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:24 am 

Yorkie wrote:
TDO wrote:
JD wrote:
You are right I'm going to have to watch out for these zoned areas. Any idea how many there are on that list? I'm going to have to put Calderdale back on the list because I understand Halifax is part of the zoned area of Calderdale and as we know, Halifax is still restricted.

Not a clue how many John, I just know that an Annexe in the OFT report mentioned Sunderland and Calderdale.

If the DfT stats were compiled on a consistent basis then it might be possible to tell from that which LAs are zoned, but the stats aren't.

For example, the last three sets show Calderdale as:

2000 Taxis 66 maximum 66
2002 Taxis 66 maximum 37
2004 Taxis 65 maximum 65

Presumably the middle one is the accurate one - the 37 relates to the Halifax zone, and the other 29 relate to the other unrestricted zones.

Funny that the total for Calderdale barely changes though - if most of it is unrestricted then it might be expected that the number might vary more than it has, but maybe not.

Calderdale although lifted restrictions in 6 zones as I have said here b4 the trade could not get suitable vehicles through the testing proceadure.

there have been changes in transport who advise licensing, 2004 has shown a significant rise, but by no means to stupid proportions.

next year will show a bigger rise,and its nice to see new vehicles comming through, already the outer zones have more wheelchair accessible vehicles than Halifax, and are showing the way.

it will not be too long before Halifax demands a taxi service to the service levels of the outer areas.

Halifax once the superior zone is now lagging behind in service delivery and image and its sad to see.

37 is about right. I have just briefly spoken to an operator in Halifax and he informs me the plates are going for around 70 grand. Does that sound about right Yorkie?

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:46 am 
In the interests of accuracy a plate is worth what you get for it

on the day. Plate values are guidelines only. Liverpool plates are

38-40000 pounds. Sefton plates are 11-13000 pounds. Interesting

thing though, the govt. and the courts maintain that plates have no value

but, and I say but, within the last couple of years under the new

confiscation laws allowing courts to confiscate ASSETS, there were a

number of taxis and plates confiscated and sold. Not only were they sold

but the prospective buyers were asked to send in sealed bids. Most of

these vehicles at the time of sale were well and truly out of test.

Mr>T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:38 am 

MR>T wrote:
In the interests of accuracy a plate is worth what you get for it

A plate is worth what you're willing to sell it for. Plate Values are governed by outgoings and earnings and of course a councils rigid policy of restriction.

If you go and work in places like Brighton don't expect to get a plate for a pittance. What you can expect if you want a track is to pay night rent at anything between 200, 240, and a day track rent at anything between 150 and 180. Calculate the yearly outgoing and you will see the advantages or disadvantages of buying a plate.

You could argue that paying ten grand plus a year to an owner for the privilege of driving his cab is a price to high to pay. You may work out that if you and the day man got together and pooled your resources you could by a Cab and plate and be financially better off, that's as long as the council maintain your standard of living of course.

Quote:
on the day. Plate values are guidelines only. Liverpool plates are

38-40000 pounds. Sefton plates are 11-13000 pounds.

Yes, I'm sceptical about Liverpool, I would have thought 40 grand but Halton in its wisdom worked out 50 grand. You can't discount Halton's figures because they got it right in their own backyard, so we tread with caution.

Quote:
thing though, the govt. and the courts maintain that plates have no value.

They say they have no value as far as good-will goes because the good-will has to be built up, that is certainly not the case with regards to Taxi plates. They have a value simply because the value has been artificially maintained through a council's policy of restriction. The Government are right in one respect because in 63% of the country plates have no value.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:17 am 
JD wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
A taxi plate is now for sale in Ripponden and Hepton, area of Calderdale at £10,000 for quick sale, this taxi could not survive on rank work alone.

Is that Cab and plate and isn't this area restriction free?

Best wishes

JD

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:21 am 
JD wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
TDO wrote:
JD wrote:
You are right I'm going to have to watch out for these zoned areas. Any idea how many there are on that list? I'm going to have to put Calderdale back on the list because I understand Halifax is part of the zoned area of Calderdale and as we know, Halifax is still restricted.

Not a clue how many John, I just know that an Annexe in the OFT report mentioned Sunderland and Calderdale.

If the DfT stats were compiled on a consistent basis then it might be possible to tell from that which LAs are zoned, but the stats aren't.

2000 Taxis 66 maximum 66
2002 Taxis 66 maximum 37
2004 Taxis 65 maximum 65

Presumably the middle one is the accurate one - the 37 relates to the Halifax zone, and the other 29 relate to the other unrestricted zones.

Funny that the total for Calderdale barely changes though - if most of it is unrestricted then it might be expected that the number might vary more than it has, but maybe not.

Calderdale although lifted restrictions in 6 zones as I have said here b4 the trade could not get suitable vehicles through the testing proceadure.

there have been changes in transport who advise licensing, 2004 has shown a significant rise, but by no means to stupid proportions.

next year will show a bigger rise,and its nice to see new vehicles comming through, already the outer zones have more wheelchair accessible vehicles than Halifax, and are showing the way.

it will not be too long before Halifax demands a taxi service to the service levels of the outer areas.

Halifax once the superior zone is now lagging behind in service delivery and image and its sad to see.

37 is about right. I have just briefly spoken to an operator in Halifax and he informs me the plates are going for around 70 grand. Does that sound about right Yorkie?

Best wishes

JD

well the last cab I heardtgoing was 70 grand, however it would be politic to subtract 20 grand as the value of the vehicle

I would say plate value at £50.000.

that should be registered as an educated opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:25 am 

Slightly amended, 27 authorities. Liverpool for the time being down to 40k

Calderdale £70,000 37 £2,590,000
Bradford £55,000 224 £12,320,000
Manches £50,000 890 £44,500,000
Blackpool. £45,000 256 £11,520,000
Brighton £45,000 479 £21,555,000
Liverpool £40,000 1417 £56,680,000
York ua £40,000 158 £6,320,000
Chester £25,000 73 £1,825,000
Eastbrne £25,000 84 £2,100,000
Knowsley £25,000 240 £6,000,000
Newcast £25,000 819 £20,475,000
Sefton £25,000 271 £6,775,000
Wigan £25,000 136 £3,400,000
Salford £22,000 78 £1,716,000
Trafford £22,000 103 £2,266,000
Blackburn £20,000 64 £1,280,000
Leeds £20,000 402 £8,040,000
Oldham £20,000 85 £1,700,000
Stockport £20,000 114 £2,280,000
Tameside £20,000 143 £2,860,000
Worthing £20,000 60 £1,200,000
Bolton £15,000 104 £1,560,000
Hastings £15,000 48 £720,000
Warringtn £15,000 109 £1,635,000
Elles Port £13,000 40 £520,000
Halton ua £12,000 267 £3,204,000
St Helens £12,000 63 £756,000

Total 225,797.000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:29 am 

Yorkie wrote:
JD wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

2000 Taxis 66 maximum 66
2002 Taxis 66 maximum 37
2004 Taxis 65 maximum 65

Best wishes

JD

well the last cab I heardtgoing was 70 grand, however it would be politic to subtract 20 grand as the value of the vehicle

I would say plate value at £50.000.

that should be registered as an educated opinion.

Ok, I think the guy I spoke to in Halifax may have included the vehicle price. it certainly sounds like it.

I'll amend the 70k to reflect 50k as soon as I get another confirmation from Halifax tomorrow.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:36 am 

MR>T wrote:
Interesting

thing though, the govt. and the courts maintain that plates have no value...

I don't think either the Govt or the courts have maintained that plates have no value, indeed quite the reverse.

You may be alluding to the Royden case, which did not deny that plates have a value, but that the nature of the 'property' was such that the Govt had no obligation to maintain that value.

As JD implies, if the value had been attributable to goodwill then it might have been a different matter, but the value is only attributable to the closed market in plates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:40 am 

JD wrote:
[Ok, I think the guy I spoke to in Halifax may have included the vehicle price. it certainly sounds like it.

I'll amend the 70k to reflect 50k as soon as I get another confirmation from Halifax tomorrow.

The Halcrow report on valuation of premiums quite specifically stated that the £65,000 related to the PREMIUM.

Of course, this might have reduced in value, but given the trends elsewhere, this seems unlikely.

Perhaps a more realistic value for the vehicle might be a lot less than £20k, in which case the £65k for the premium may not be unreasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:53 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:
[Ok, I think the guy I spoke to in Halifax may have included the vehicle price. it certainly sounds like it.

The Halcrow report on valuation of premiums quite specifically stated that the £65,000 related to the PREMIUM.

Of course, this might have reduced in value, but given the trends elsewhere, this seems unlikely.

Perhaps a more realistic value for the vehicle might be a lot less than £20k, in which case the £65k for the premium may not be unreasonable.

Yes I was thinking along those lines myself. It would appear that Halifax has a lot of saloon hackneys so 20 grand is over the top. That is why I said I would get confirmation today. Actully he said the highest plate value that he knew of in the past went for 80 grand but perhaps that was cab and plate. I'm goin gto get on the phone right now.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:28 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

Calderdale licensing seem to think its around 60k, so its getting there. The rest of Calderdale he tells me is unrestricted but they will only license WAVs. Spot the trend? There are 37 plates in Halifax and they haven't decided what to do with regard to the Government guidance. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:46 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

I've just had it confirmed 70 to 80k so i'll go with the lower figure. The person I spoke to seemd to think they are the highest in the country. I wouldn't dispute that perception at this moment in time. They must be earning a pretty penny in Halifax to have a value that high.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:05 pm 

JD wrote:
There are 37 plates in Halifax and they haven't decided what to do with regard to the Government guidance. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Can someone please tell me if the end of March comes at a different time of the year in Halifax, than to the rest of the country? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:34 am 
sefton 11000-13000 not 25000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:32 pm 

cheshirebest wrote:
JD

Stockport plates are worth 18k as I was offered one not long back.

I've spoken to a lot of Stockport owners over the last few days and they all form a consensus that the lower 20's is the present going rate. Last year they were selling for 28 grand but because of the uncertainty of what the council might do in respect of the Government guidance they have been reduced to the present figure which is 22 grand. That is the figure which seems most accurate.

Best wishes

JD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next