Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:05 pm 

Quote:
It is because of this awareness they will continue to grow, both will soon be major players when it comes to corporate accounts and large annual contracts.

so what about the quaint insistance by HC drivers for cash work only?

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:08 pm 

Chopsy wrote:
Just to clarify - my point about second drivers was meant to illustrate that owner/drivers have to pick and choose which shifts to work in order to make a decent living. There is very little left to offer a second driver. Cant speak for all but this is true of the majority. Not sure what the ratio of H/C badges to plated cars is though......

Sounds even better - I wouldn't mind 85 cars even with an average of 20,000 people in St Andrews, if the cars were all singled.

The trouble is that most have two or three drivers and only a minority of us are single-shifted.

it's difficult to tell how many drivers are on each car because the drivers are pooled by the offices so there are always different drivers in each car, but in a magazine article one of the local firms said it had almost 30 drivers and it has around 12 cars. However, a lot of the drivers are part-time, so it's not a case of each car being more than doubled, if you get my drift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:12 pm 

Chopsy wrote:
Population about 85,000 (on the figures I found but could be more). We have loads of students but,as the article said, they have a very good late night bus service. As Bath is small no need to get a taxi to cross town.

Theres not much in St Andrews more than a mile from the town centre, and they still get taxis everywhere - some nights 80-90% of the work is one mile or so runs out to the halls of residence. So I don't think the size of Bath can be the problem, unless the studens are lazier here :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:17 pm 
captain cab wrote:
Quote:
It is because of this awareness they will continue to grow, both will soon be major players when it comes to corporate accounts and large annual contracts.

so what about the quaint insistance by HC drivers for cash work only?

Captain cab

oh Captain I wish you hadnt said that!

or picking off the street, or doing private hire jobs? we are slowly changing him into a winner,!

it matters not the length of time it takes to get there, or the route he takes, its vital he gets there there is too much at stake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:29 pm 

Captain,

I am working on the advertising for this one.looking for the winning slogan
the current scheme is, and I wasnt in on that one, it was taken from the telephonist who says " its on its way"

Ryburn Taxibus
"We are one our way"

this one how about

Tyne Sunshine Taxibus

" The Sun will Shine,
When We Get To The Tyne"
Get me thinkin cap on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:55 pm 

Quote:

or picking off the street, or doing private hire jobs? we are slowly changing him into a winner,!

it matters not the length of time it takes to get there, or the route he takes, its vital he gets there there is too much at stake!

Yorkie,

I think GA is always a little hard done by on the site, the guy says it how he see's it, in a trade full of BS you got to admit it is refreshing.

I dont need to tell you and everyone else what the HC trade is, you all know, even GA who has had the "balls" to improvise when he found difficult times. (and I am not taking the [edited by admin] GA)

Unfortunately when you represent people, you may not even be going with your own instincts, but by the will of your members. I suspect this is the case in many places and even with perhaps GA himself.

PS Paddington Bill, perahsp the dittee show go along with the tune fog on the tyne :wink:

Captain cab

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:38 am 
Captain

you ought to see Bills office hes got the base bus white, with a yellow skit rising to the top of the bus in a curve to the back..

hes put an advert on the side, dont know what GA would think!

"if you are deprived of sunray"
"use fast tan spray, every day"

We have a chineese wall dividing buses from Taxis, we booked a bill board for 10 weeks for the bus, there is another board on a railway bridge at the other side of the road.

we put on day glow orange

"never a fuss,
go by bus"

he dropped a clanger by telling the taxi division, the other side of the road was booked by the taxi division.
dayglow yellow

"better by far
by car"

well I thought hell this is a disaster, but no its caused amusement and been fairly successful.

competition in house!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:02 am 
captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Yorkie,

I think GA is always a little hard done by on the site, the guy says it how he see's it, in a trade full of BS you got to admit it is refreshing.

I dont need to tell you and everyone else what the HC trade is, you all know, even GA who has had the "balls" to improvise when he found difficult times. (and I am not taking the [edited by admin] GA)

Unfortunately when you represent people, you may not even be going with your own instincts, but by the will of your members. I suspect this is the case in many places and even with perhaps GA himself.

PS Paddington Bill, perahsp the dittee show go along with the tune fog on the tyne :wink:

Captain cab

Captain cab

I think the real issue is one of passion CC.

The taxi trade provided me with a good living for many years, I made some real friends most of whom are still involved in the trade, some even in areas outside of Gateshead.

What I'm saying is that I do try to say it as I see it, I don't have a problem when people tell me that its not what they see, or its not what what they want, thats why sites like this become addictive.

I may call Yorkie many different names, he may respond with or initiate similarly "harsh" posts but if push came to shove I can assure you he could count on me to stand in his corner.

I may be doing different things now, but taxidriving is my trade, it is what I have done for most of my working life, I only wish that it was my own decision to leave the trade, but it wasn't.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:37 am 
Bill, the slogan is simple

on tyne .......every tyne

or you could have

howay and hyem

or

gannin oot, giz a shoot

or

rely on us, and book our bus

(a royalty charge will apply if any of the above are used.)

B. Lucky :twisted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:03 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Again you misquote me, again you make claims that I have said things in a weak attempt to discredit my opinions.

For example?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:17 pm 
TDO wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Again you misquote me, again you make claims that I have said things in a weak attempt to discredit my opinions.

For example?

TDO wrote:
The Angel seems to be the only one on here to provide any sort rationale, and they are:

1 That making people pay a fortune for a plate is FAIRER than imposing reasonable quality standards;

2 That HC restrictions stop PH operators buying lots of PH vehicles and renting them out at extortionate prices.

Gateshead Angel wrote:
What I said was that PH operators are buying more WAVs and getting free HC plates and that this action is beneficial on two counts; firstly that they can charge more for a HC vehicle than a PH vehicle whether it is rented out or sold on, secondly that by filling the ranks with their vehicles the amount of money the independants make is reduced and they need to look to PH operators to provide them with work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:24 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
[.

What I said was that PH operators are buying more WAVs and getting free HC plates and that this action is beneficial on two counts; firstly that they can charge more for a HC vehicle than a PH vehicle whether it is rented out or sold on, secondly that by filling the ranks with their vehicles the amount of money the independants make is reduced and they need to look to PH operators to provide them with work.

I have witnessed this ever since a local PH operator took the council to court after only a certain number of WAV plates were released after our last survey.

OK I was being slightly mishcievous because you ignored my points in this regard on another thread.

But once or twice you've said PH operators are buying vehicles to rent out, so I immediately think PH vehicles. And don't you mean that it's HC proprietors that are buying the vehciles, or if you want to add the point that they are also PH ops then you should call them PH ops/HC props - it even rhymes :lol:

So surely if HCs in Gateshead were still capped then these same people would be renting out PH vehicles for extortionate rentals?

To that extent I still don't get the connection between fleet owners and de-limitation - what about the bloke in Cardiff, for example, who had over 100 plates and was bleating about de-limitation.

Are the rents so extortionate or is it just because the WAVs in question are more expensive to buy and operate? What exactly does the £180 cover, does this include maintenance as well?

I don't really buy the argument that the rentals are higher because the HCs have access to the ranks - that's a bit like saying that The Taxi Centre will charge more for an Octavia if it's being used as an HC rather than a PH - I suspect the higher rentals for the WAV HCs in Gateshead come down to running costs.

Yes, some drivers pay mega-rentals in the trade, but I think this is partly because they can't get credit - clearly the drivers in Gateshead wouldn't be paying the rentals you claim if they could get credit themselves.

So the mega-rentals often amount to little more than a normal rental with a large dollop of interest on top, in effect amounting to usury.

In the normal credit market, the higher the risk you are, the higher the interest rate you will pay. If you can't get normal credit at all, then you'll pay even higher interest, but this might be in the form of the mega-rentals you are talking about.

It's the same with people on council housing estates who can't get normal credit - they have no option but to go to a loan shark.

Now I don't like this any more than you do, but I don't really see this as a reason to restrict numbers, which would just replace one set of users with another set, but I think the sums being extracted are generally larger in the case of restricted numbers.

I can't believe that the fleet owners you compain about are making as much money as you may think, since drivers would look elsewhere and/or others people would see the size of the profits being made and offer rentals as well, and the 'excess profit's' would be whittled away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:26 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
TDO wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:

For example?

TDO wrote:
The Angel seems to be the only one on here to provide any sort rationale, and they are:

1 That making people pay a fortune for a plate is FAIRER than imposing reasonable quality standards;

2 That HC restrictions stop PH operators buying lots of PH vehicles and renting them out at extortionate prices.

Gateshead Angel wrote:

You got in before my main post - I should have done them the other way round.

What I meant was another example :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:22 pm 
Its nice to see you admitting that you have misquoted me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:09 pm 

Chopsy wrote:
Thanks for your feedback guys. You pretty much said what I expected (with the exception of JD's post which was very informative - thank you).

I mentioned a possible date that the full executive would consider this option as being the 2nd of March, well it transpires that it is going to the Executive meeting of April 6th.

Perhaps all those Gorra plate holders as Mr Cummings would say, can now go down to the Town hall and vehemently express their anger at the Executive for issuing those extra licenses and at the same time vent their feelings at the prospect of allowing other individuals to be afforded the same privilige under derestriction. I wouldn't hold my breath about meeting the other tribal faction the Wannabes as Mr cummings puts it, I doubt he has ever seen a tribe of wannabes in a slanging match with councilors and neither has anyone else. But he obviously isn't going to let that little fact get in the way of a poor story.

Best wishes

JD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next