Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:04 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Is it in the interests of the wider community to have plate premiums? I don't think so.

That's where your proportionate theory falls.

Well the Councils until recently never said they were taking action to destroy the plate premium. They said it was to allow a free market supply of taxis. Your point was never made in the Royden case, and I doubt if there is any case where the objective of the authorities was solely to destroy the property of licensees who's licences traded at a premium.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:06 pm 

MarkRGuildford wrote:
Sussex wrote:
The Judge said that a case could be made if the plate was transferred for money prior to the 1985 Transport Act, after that it was a case of buyer beware.
Property values can always be affected by legislation, and the owners must accept that, but the authorities have to pay compensation under the HRA if they take disproportionate action.

I disagree.

In the 1980s interest rates shot up leading to house prices collapsing and tens of thousands of folks losing their homes.

The government of the day paid not a penny in compensation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
MarkRGuildford wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Doesn't apply here.
Plates in Scotland are non-transferable.
How does the premium exist then?

Because some scrots like councilor Kerr of Edinburgh CC decided to restrict cab numbers, and continues to do so
Thereby creating a restricted market so plates along with the vehicle change hands for extortionate rates, and then are rented out to an idiot who pays up to £300 per week before fuel and a wage

So plates are transferable, as long as they are attached to a vehicle, same as in England.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I disagree.

In the 1980s interest rates shot up leading to house prices collapsing and tens of thousands of folks losing their homes.

The government of the day paid not a penny in compensation.

Sorry, the losses didn't occur because of a change in legislation, so the HRA did not apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:16 pm 

MarkRGuildford wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
MarkRGuildford wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Doesn't apply here.
Plates in Scotland are non-transferable.
How does the premium exist then?

Because some scrots like councilor Kerr of Edinburgh CC decided to restrict cab numbers, and continues to do so
Thereby creating a restricted market so plates along with the vehicle change hands for extortionate rates, and then are rented out to an idiot who pays up to £300 per week before fuel and a wage

Quote:
So plates are transferable, as long as they are attached to a vehicle, same as in England.[/quote
]
No they are not, the buyer starts work for that company and then the owner steps down as a director leaving the buyer to continue and change the operators name over, its a back door process as the plate still legally belongs to the council

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:21 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
No they are not, the buyer starts work for that company and then the owner steps down as a director leaving the buyer to continue and change the operators name over, its a back door process as the plate still legally belongs to the council

OK, But it doesn't matter how the premium arises, it's someone's property and has value, if it belongs to a Limited Company the shareholders are protected by the HRA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

MarkRGuildford wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

OK, But it doesn't matter how the premium arises, it's someone's property and has value, if it belongs to a Limited Company the shareholders are protected by the HRA.

Under the CGSA, the licence/plate is at all times the property of the council which issued it.

The back door route via a corporate held plate only works if the licence was originally applied for in the name of a company.
That company continues to hold the plate, even if the ownership of the company changes.

The vast majority of Scottish plates are held by individuals in their own names and must be returned to the council when the plateholder dies or gives it up.

Your theory may apply in E&W but your assumption that the law here is the same is in error.

I suggest you look for examples in English & Welsh areas, which would be under the same legislation as you.

What a Scottish council or an Irish judge does, may not be relevant to English law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm 

gusmac wrote:
Under the CGSA, the licence/plate is at all times the property of the council which issued it.

The back door route via a corporate held plate only works if the licence was originally applied for in the name of a company.
That company continues to hold the plate, even if the ownership of the company changes.

The vast majority of Scottish plates are held by individuals in their own names and must be returned to the council when the plateholder dies or gives it up.

Your theory may apply in E&W but your assumption that the law here is the same is in error.

I suggest you look for examples in English & Welsh areas, which would be under the same legislation as you.

What a Scottish council or an Irish judge does, may not be relevant to English law.

I'm not assuming anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:45 am 

When the Irish Government paid out compensation to cab proprietors for loss of plate premium value, after they de-restricted nationally, I wonder whether it was through the kindness of their collective hearts in the Houses of the Oireachtas, or whether they were spooked by the European Human Rights legislation?

Somehow, I don't think it was because of their kindness and affection towards cab proprietors!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
When the Irish Government paid out compensation to cab proprietors for loss of plate premium value, after they de-restricted nationally, I wonder whether it was through the kindness of their collective hearts in the Houses of the Oireachtas, or whether they were spooked by the European Human Rights legislation?

Somehow, I don't think it was because of their kindness and affection towards cab proprietors!

If that is the case then the Irish government probably got legal advice?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

They said they would when they decided to delimit.

IMO they had no duty to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:54 pm 

MarkRGuildford wrote:
This has nothing to do with Northern Rock, that was a Bank with shareholders, I am talking about the property of taxi drivers being destroyed as a result of disproportionate Council action.

We are not talking about property, as no property is being lost.

We are talking about an assumed scarcity value, accrued in a grey market.

You are saying if a council de-limits they are liable to cover the costs of the assumed scarcity value. But they issue them for nothing, so what should they do? Start charging for plates?

However what is disproportionate about a council delimiting taxi numbers to ensure more WAVs are licensed? Do you think a court would look favourably at a claim against a council that does that?

Would a council be liable if trade reduces due to the economic climate, as that will lower plate prices?

One thing I know for certain however is that if plate holders in restricted areas spent as much time on customer service than they did on issues relating to keeping the premium, then their trade would be in a far better place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:13 pm 

It’s a false market with people trying to sell plates which you don’t own, or have control of.
And as for buying a piece of plastic / metal plate with a paper licence attach to it, which is a very big bad gamble. might as well put the money on red
I would have to say i total agree with what Sussex had posted above.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm 

Sussex wrote:
We are not talking about property, as no property is being lost.

We are talking about an assumed scarcity value, accrued in a grey market.

You are saying if a council de-limits they are liable to cover the costs of the assumed scarcity value. But they issue them for nothing, so what should they do? Start charging for plates?

However what is disproportionate about a council delimiting taxi numbers to ensure more WAVs are licensed? Do you think a court would look favourably at a claim against a council that does that?

Would a council be liable if trade reduces due to the economic climate, as that will lower plate prices?

One thing I know for certain however is that if plate holders in restricted areas spent as much time on customer service than they did on issues relating to keeping the premium, then their trade would be in a far better place.

Of course Taxi licences and the premium on them are "property"

Quote:
28. Professor Kelly in his treatise on Constitutional law says:-

“Most obviously of all, the constitutional guarantee applies to land and to rights arising from land ownership. It also applied to moveable property and money. Intangible rights are also protected - Article 43:1:2 itself refers to a “general right to transfer , bequeath and inherit property ”, while the guarantee has been invoked in relation to intangible rights created by legislation, such as licences , and by contract ”

29. Thus, it is clear that it is possible to have property rights in a licence which attract constitutional protection. However, the extent of the right has been the subject of judicial consideration.
Gorman v. Minister for the Environment and Local Government [2001] IEHC 47; [2001] 2 IR 414 (23rd March, 2001)
http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ie/cases/IEHC/2001/47.html&query=hackney+and+licence+and+transfer+and+premium+and+property&method=boolean

The disproportion is that the Councils did not do surveys to determine how many extra licenses were needed to solve the alleged under supply of taxis. Instead they de-restricted and created a disproportionately excessive supply.

Wheelchair accessible vehicles are a complete red herring. 95% of registered disabled are not wheelchair bound, and they don't want or like wheelchair accessible vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:49 pm 

Quote:
Wheelchair accessible vehicles are a complete red herring. 95% of registered disabled are not wheelchair bound, and they don't want or like wheelchair accessible vehicles.

That's all very nice to hear, but, where is the evidence to support this claim?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next