Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:47 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
deegang wrote:
just to let you know i do not own a plate, and yes i do agree that £40k plus is a bit pricey for the privillege of owning your own plate (which as it says on the plate "belongs to the city of edinburgh council").

I do think however that the council have created this mess by letting plates be transferred and sold in this fashion. Why not takes the plates back when drivers give up the game and issue them to the next person on the waiting list.

Deresticing may not be the anwser, I have just finished my Saturday nightshift and it was the poorest one in a long time. Wait until the taxi numbers treble, then we will see the earnings fall.........

The council have not created this mess of plates being sold or transfered, as a result of passed court case law this is allowed and is legal, got nothing to do with the council. In my case I obtained my plate many years ago for a small few grand, I have protected my plate by every 2 years I update a letter to the council confirming that I am the legal owner of the plate together with other names, ie wife, sons, daughters that they to have interest in the plate in the event of my death, otherwise the council could snatch it back, in theory the plate is mine but technicaly its the councils, or is it the other way round

when you sell a business it is usual to get the price of the business by x 3 years earnings, 40 grand, a husband and wife taxi driver team could just about recover that amount in hammering it in one year. I bought mine cos I was sick of paying someone else who sat at home

I worked Saturday night, took 180 quid 8.30 evening till 0230 morning including half hour break and maybe could have got another 60 quid if I stopped out, but can't be bothered, I do notice that saturday night cabs are not out in full force, maybe due to the saturday night idiots on the town

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:59 am 

Getting bored now, nothing much more to add to this situation, other than thanks RealCabforce for your assistance in getting the various points across.

Even if the Council do get their stay of execution I know of a number of individuals on the Interested Parties List who are now looking to take the Council to Court. It seems they don’t agree with the increase in the PHC and them not getting their Licence plates either. :badgrin:

One way or another I think there are big changes coming to the trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:55 am 

Skull wrote:
Getting bored now, nothing much more to add to this situation, other than thanks RealCabforce for your assistance in getting the various points across.

Even if the Council do get their stay of execution I know of a number of individuals on the Interested Parties List who are now looking to take the Council to Court. It seems they don’t agree with the increase in the PHC and them not getting their Licence plates either. :badgrin:

Why dont you get one of the other "scavengers" to take over if you have had enough?, There are plenty points to made about them too,and really there is no need to thank us for setting the record straight about you on here.

And as for the "interested parties list" I have no problem with them having a go at the council, some of them have been waiting 10 years for a plate so maybe it is right that some of them get plates.
The only problem I have had with this is that you and your fellow "scavengers" having no interest in operating a cab whatsoever are willing to cause a lot of grief to everyone in the trade just to line your grubby pockets. So yes, go crawl back under the stone if you like but we won't tire of letting everyone know exactly the scum you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:04 pm 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
Skull wrote:

Why dont you get one of the other "scavengers" to take over if you have had enough?, There are plenty points to made about them too,and really there is no need to thank us for setting the record straight about you on here.

And as for the "interested parties list" I have no problem with them having a go at the council, some of them have been waiting 10 years for a plate so maybe it is right that some of them get plates.
The only problem I have had with this is that you and your fellow "scavengers" having no interest in operating a cab whatsoever are willing to cause a lot of grief to everyone in the trade just to line your grubby pockets. So yes, go crawl back under the stone if you like but we won't tire of letting everyone know exactly the scum you are.
interesting?
ok come on enlighten me, tell you're narrow and innacurate view of me?
as you have almost everything wrong so far lets see how well you do with me.then ill tell you how wrong you are and what i intend to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:10 pm 

by the way realcabforce,i do not feel that the trade is dead as yet ,unlike you
dictionary quote scavenger"An animal, such as a bird or insect, that feeds on dead or decaying matter."
are you saying that the edinburgh trade is dead and decaying matter :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:52 pm 

highwayman wrote:
deegang wrote:
just to let you know i do not own a plate, and yes i do agree that £40k plus is a bit pricey for the privillege of owning your own plate (which as it says on the plate "belongs to the city of edinburgh council").

I do think however that the council have created this mess by letting plates be transferred and sold in this fashion. Why not takes the plates back when drivers give up the game and issue them to the next person on the waiting list.

Deresticing may not be the anwser, I have just finished my Saturday nightshift and it was the poorest one in a long time. Wait until the taxi numbers treble, then we will see the earnings fall.........

The council have not created this mess of plates being sold or transfered, as a result of passed court case law

I understand the law in Scotland is somewhat different to our own.

Although in England and Wales there is a legal entitlement to transfer a license from one person to another, in respect of Hackney carriage licenses in Scotland there is no such legal entitlement, unless it fits into a certain category as for instance business to business. That is how I understand it.

TDO did a piece on the issue several months ago.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/transfers.htm

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:19 am 

My understanding is that the Scottish legislation forbade the tranfer of licenses.

However, if the license was in the name of a business rather than an individual then it didn't matter because the business could be transferred to someone else without requiring the transfer of the plate, thus in effect this was an oversight in the legislation.

But once this loophole was discovered then for plates held by individuals many LAs let them hand in their plate and obtain a new one in the name of a business, thus in effect brining things into line with England and Wales, only with a bit of added paperwork.

The way it works is basically:

- Mr Sussex Man has a HC plate in Eastbourne
- The Govt decides to retain restricted numbers, but to disallow transfers so that plate holders can't gain a windfall profit from selling the plate.
- So Sussex Man can't transfer it to Mr Plate Buyer.
- So Eastbourne Council allows Mr Sussex Man to hand in his plate, and gives him a new one in the name of Scam Ltd. So the plate holder is Scam Ltd, a company set up for the purpose of holding the plate. Sussex is the sole shareholder in Scam Ltd, so he sells all his shares in it to Mr Plate Buyer.
- So now Mr Plate Buyer owns Scam Ltd, and the plate has effectively been sold without requiring a transfer, since Scam Ltd continues to be the licensee.

Good that, innit :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:40 am 

ALI T wrote:
dictionary quote scavenger"An animal, such as a bird or insect, that feeds on dead or decaying matter."

Sorry don't have a lot of time this morn it being monday and all that, busy day ahead but will catch up with you this evening if I have time.
Can I just ask you one wee thing for the moment, could you maybe wipe your wee rimmed spectacles and look a bit closer at your screen and address correctly which one of us you are asking the question?, I think its me, but it's confusing when you address me as Realcabforce. Thanks :?
There's me thinking GarryT was hard work too :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:47 am 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
ALI T wrote:

Sorry don't have a lot of time this morn it being monday and all that, busy day ahead but will catch up with you this evening if I have time.
Can I just ask you one wee thing for the moment, could you maybe wipe your wee rimmed spectacles and look a bit closer at your screen and address correctly which one of us you are asking the question?, I think its me, but it's confusing when you address me as Realcabforce. Thanks :?

RealCabforce/RealCabforceforum, Multiple Personality Disorder me think?

Why don’t you give us all a breakdown of your Edinburgh Taxi Trade model and how we have got it all wrong I am sure the guys who run this site would be very interested?

Just forget about me and Ali T for a minute, we won’t interfere, just explain how the Edinburgh Taxi Trade works and how it is so perfect, don’t forget the council, ITS and the PHC in your model.

I am sure everybody here is more than interested, I know I am.

:-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:23 am 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
ALI T wrote:

yes realcabforce its you im talking to.
though i am begining to wonder if its the right thing to do as you are obviously stalking me[imagine knowing i wear glasses :shock: ]
strange wee man watching the world from a distance, unable to connect with it,except on the internet under a pseudoname.
why not the next time you are sitting on the rank 3 cars back admiring me
from a distance .reach down grab youre balls[if youre not already doing that] and finally realise youre a man and come and talk to me [we dont bite].if you have something to say.if not shut up as youre failure to answer any questions on the topics/issues and youre constant rantings makes me ashamed to be scottish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:49 pm 

Skull wrote:
Realcabforceforum wrote:
ALI T wrote:

RealCabforce/RealCabforceforum, Multiple Personality Disorder me think?

Why don’t you give us all a breakdown of your Edinburgh Taxi Trade model and how we have got it all wrong I am sure the guys who run this site would be very interested?

Just forget about me and Ali T for a minute, we won’t interfere, just explain how the Edinburgh Taxi Trade works and how it is so perfect, don’t forget the council, ITS and the PHC in your model.

I am sure everybody here is more than interested, I know I am.

:-k

You and your cohorts have no credibility in the Edinburgh Taxi trade, so for that reason I will not engage in any discussion about that subject with you on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:00 pm 

ALI T wrote:
Realcabforceforum wrote:
ALI T wrote:

yes realcabforce its you im talking to.
though i am begining to wonder if its the right thing to do as you are obviously stalking me[imagine knowing i wear glasses :shock: ]
strange wee man watching the world from a distance, unable to connect with it,except on the internet under a pseudoname.
why not the next time you are sitting on the rank 3 cars back admiring me
from a distance .reach down grab youre balls[if youre not already doing that] and finally realise youre a man and come and talk to me [we dont bite].if you have something to say.if not shut up as youre failure to answer any questions on the topics/issues and youre constant rantings makes me ashamed to be scottish

I said to Mr Realcabforce today, "I wonder how long it wil take AliT. to get on to a gay theme" or to repeat your disgusting behaviour that seen you banned from the Edinburgh taxi forum, to be honest I thought it would take you longer, but given the skulls fascination with the "rectal" area I shouldn't have been surprised. As for stalking you, don't flatter yourself,I have not and hope never to meet you and the only thing that you have to be ashamed of is the fact you ever started the attack on the trade that provides you with a good living and unfortunately supplies you with the money to attack it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:27 pm 

Naughty naughty Skull. [-X

No more room for extra taxis on city's roads

GARRY THOMSON of taxi firm Threemaxblack wants another 100 black cabs on Edinburgh roads (News, July 20).

My husband is a street cab driver, which means he doesn't pay £90 a week for a radio or company. He does pay £720 per year for Waverley permit.

There are two tariffs in Edinburgh, £1.45 from 6am to 6pm and £2.20 6pm to 6am, when you step in a taxi. There has only been a 55p increase in 15 years. Edinburgh taxis used to be fifth-best paid in Britain, now they are well down the list.

Some taxi drivers do 14 to 16-hour shifts so they can meet the payment of the taxi maintenance, permits and house bills too.

They can't be sick as there is no sick pay, they can't strike - no union - and if they take a holiday they have to make sure there's enough money in the bank to cover all the outgoings while away.

Taxi driving is stressful enough without adding to their stress by allowing any more taxis, black or private, to the roads.

My husband has been spat at, sworn at, attacked from behind - and crashed the taxi as a result. His taxi has been kicked and dented for what, a couple of pounds. They should get damage money for weekends.

Jennifer Donoghue, Station Road, Newtongrange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:31 pm 

Spot on Mr Skull. =D>

Frustrated by a real lack of drive from Capital cabs

AM I alone in being constantly frustrated by the poor service offered by the Capital's black cabs? I have walked from Stockbridge to Waverley Station, at 4pm on a dry day, and saw only one cab on the road for hire - he wouldn't stop for me. Eventually I found the usual queue of them on the Hanover Street rank, all busily reading their newspapers.

I have been to scores of cities around the world and Edinburgh's taxi service is amongst the worst I have experienced. Perhaps if they got off their ranks and drove around they'd win more business... and that may bring a smile to their dour faces.

J Faulds Woodside Terrace, Glasgow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:32 pm 

So was Mr Taylor's letter published then, or are we only getting one side of the story ie 'the trade's' or at least the vested interests therein. :-#

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next