Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:40 pm 
Yorkie wrote:
Well lets take a taxi from gateshead to Burnley wait and return that beggins and ends in Gatehead and you can charge higher?

Come on Yorkie, stop messing around son.

You know as well as I do that a "long job" particularly a wait and return is pre-priced, you substituted my word "either" to your word "and", when setting the parameters of the journey.

If anyone wants to go anywhere from the rank then its on the meter or I ain't taking them, if someone wants to go anywhere then come back they still pay the metered fare as their being in the car stops me from accepting another hiring or returning to a possibly closer rank.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:29 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
The ACT allows for journeys outside the H/C vehicles licensing area to be negotiated prior to the journey's commencement, only journeys begining and ending within the vehicles licensing area cannot be negotiated HIGHER than the councils prescribed tariff.

And quite right too.

But there is one thing saying to a customer that a job will be £50 outside of your area, and another thing the council saying (via an approved meter tariff) that the job will be £50 outside of your area, if the £50 fee is greater than the job would be with the local rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:29 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Well lets take a taxi from gateshead to Burnley wait and return that beggins and ends in Gatehead and you can charge higher?

Come on Yorkie, stop messing around son.

You know as well as I do that a "long job" particularly a wait and return is pre-priced, you substituted my word "either" to your word "and", when setting the parameters of the journey.

If anyone wants to go anywhere from the rank then its on the meter or I ain't taking them, if someone wants to go anywhere then come back they still pay the metered fare as their being in the car stops me from accepting another hiring or returning to a possibly closer rank.

yes thats how I work...........except of cours I wanna a higher rate outside the zone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:18 pm 

So we really need to ammend the PHM table don't we.

Cos clearly it is almost an irrelevance what the presribed fares are.

What we need to know is how much punters will be ripped off out of district.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:37 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:
So we really need to ammend the PHM table don't we.

Cos clearly it is almost an irrelevance what the presribed fares are.

What we need to know is how much punters will be ripped off out of district.

Tom,
thats grossly unfair.
Its ok for you , you have full control of your fares.

when the tax inspector comes, he looks at the fare table out and works out a per mile hes prepared to accept too many dead miles and we are in trouble big time.

ripping customers off? let me tell you a tale about christmas eve, a woman came to rank wanting to go to Southampton 240 miles away we gave an estimate she said ******* have quoted £240, well I said get ******* to do it, oh they cant they have no one who will go that far tonight!

I told her when we are unable to do it we will charge £100 for the trip.

its all very well you lads pontificating when you quite clearly, dont understand implications £240 to Soulthamton comming back empty is 50p per mile and £60 for hotels and meals.

I very much resent your posting on this issue, get off that high horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:58 am 

Wharfie

A bit of your own teasing treatment seems to make you bite too :wink:

The 'so and so only quoted £???, but can't do it' story happens to us all.

I have no problem at all with you charging what you like for a job. Though I have to say I would have charged £80 to Southampton, so you are a ripp off merchant (so its only 50 miles away from me :wink: )

I sit right in the corner of our district and 80% of jobs over 2 miles go 'out of District'. So I am now have another stick to beat the council with if they ever decide to set tarifs.

We have never thought of charging more to go 'out of district'. In fact the further we go the less we charge per mile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:50 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
Wharfie

A bit of your own teasing treatment seems to make you bite too :wink:

The 'so and so only quoted £???, but can't do it' story happens to us all.

I have no problem at all with you charging what you like for a job. Though I have to say I would have charged £80 to Southampton, so you are a ripp off merchant (so its only 50 miles away from me :wink: )

I sit right in the corner of our district and 80% of jobs over 2 miles go 'out of District'. So I am now have another stick to beat the council with if they ever decide to set tarifs.

We have never thought of charging more to go 'out of district'. In fact the further we go the less we charge per mile.

ok you are quoting to Southampton more than one and a half times per mile than our private hire that cannot do it.

next time we get a Southampton we will get in touch, maybe you will consider it a favour.

the further we go the less per mile we get of course thats the name of the game, but 50p per mile? got to be jesting.

and of course taxis are supposed to be a local resource imagine 300 odd miles in a lti?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:24 pm 

I wouldn't make sheep or pigs travel 300 miles in the back of an LTI.

Mind you I wouldn't let them travel 50 miles in the back of a Doblo :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:22 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:

Tom thats very naughty,
stop attacking the doublos they fullfill some kind of niche in the market?

would you let sheep or pigs travel in a diplomat navigator? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:59 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:

sheep and pigs have more laws to protect them when being transported than people,I have never been pulled over to have my passengers condition checked by a Doctor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:13 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:

sheep and pigs have more laws to protect them when being transported than people,I have never been pulled over to have my passengers condition checked by a Doctor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and do they call a doctor when you carry sheep or pigs?

I suppose that would be logical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:59 pm 

Why would one need night out money to do Southampton from halifax?

480 mile round trip averaging 50 miles an hour (quite feasible, its all Motorway), is less than ten hours. Unless of course, you have a Metrocab when its 20 hours, plus the time spent at your Physiotherapist to get muscle movements back.

10 hours work, plus breaks, equates to more than £20 an hour gross take, which, if you check the statistics, is a not too terrible gross take for rural cabs.

Must admit, however, I wouldn't want to do it for that, unless I particularly wanted to go to Southampton. Based on our normal rate we would quote £312 for a 240 mile journey.

What would make the £240 attractive however, is that I could probably pick-up a Gatwick return to bring me home. Not sure if yu get a lot of Gatwicks from Halifax though.

What would make it even more attractive, is (if I were a friend of Airport Carz), a return from Southampton Airport !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:37 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Why would one need night out money to do Southampton from halifax?

480 mile round trip averaging 50 miles an hour (quite feasible, its all Motorway), is less than ten hours. Unless of course, you have a Metrocab when its 20 hours, plus the time spent at your Physiotherapist to get muscle movements back.

10 hours work, plus breaks, equates to more than £20 an hour gross take, which, if you check the statistics, is a not too terrible gross take for rural cabs.

Must admit, however, I wouldn't want to do it for that, unless I particularly wanted to go to Southampton. Based on our normal rate we would quote £312 for a 240 mile journey.

What would make the £240 attractive however, is that I could probably pick-up a Gatwick return to bring me home. Not sure if yu get a lot of Gatwicks from Halifax though.

What would make it even more attractive, is (if I were a friend of Airport Carz), a return from Southampton Airport !

Andrew

Its impossible to do a Southampton return without hitting rush hour on London Orbital

the minimum time from here is 4.5 hours, but if rush hour is hit it adds a further 2 hours.

our drivers must break every 2 hours for at least 15 minutes, and one hour break every 4 hours, however there is special rules if you are in London, like coach drivers wher you can push on for half an hour.

After 10 hours a driver must retire and if neccesary a taxi will be sent out to collect the driver.

on trips of Southampton nature they can overstay.

proffessionals :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:14 pm 

Perhaps you are doing it right by catering for a drivers overnight stay. :D

Alas it quite likely your competitors will not. :(

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:51 pm 
But by doing it cheaper he is only exploiting the Market Forces argument mentioned within the OFT report, and I must also say that some members on here agree with that.

Could it be that he didn't calculate proper maintainance for the vehicle either, so that'll just have to wait, just like the driver has to wait for sleep.

Safety should be more important than a few extra quid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next