Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: So what happens now???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:42 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it will probably be a first on this site - but, well, here goes anyway.....

I am going to TELL THE TRUTH .

I lied !!!!!!!

I never spent £700 applying for a plate !!!

Glad you enjoyed the entertainment - so who wants winding up next ???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:12 am 

Yes, someone said you were a liar, but I'm just a bit too trusting.

But at least we get the last laugh - goodbye!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:18 am 

Well another testament to the power of the arguments we've been making - another liar and troublemaker bites the dust :badgrin:

It's like swatting flies :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:18 pm 
ALI T wrote:
187ums wrote:
whats rellay amusing is that Skulls alter ego Jim Taylor was once an anti deregulationist, now everyone knows that they are nothing more then opportunists!!!

far be it for me to speak for someone else :lol:
but when mr taylor was as you anti dereg was thier the massive threat from the ph that thier is now
or are you! 187 ums one of those that cant see this

Classic. Saul on the road to Damascus ....

And, what's happening in our trade is equally monumental.

Perhaps my reaction to the OFT report was their demand to de-restrict without the road map of how to get there. I, like the rest of the trade, could only see the example of Dublin which was a disaster of mega proportions. Rightly, I didn't want that to happen.

However, partly through this site, the debate has mature to one of a shift from quantity to quality control of our trade rather than a blanket increase in numbers.

The Myth and Reality report helps to understand the real issues.

And our trade IS being slaughtered by private hire and bus services.

I believe my stance, given these factors, is right. Also that Edinburgh WILL de-restrict in time. The only delay is caused by the council's stubborn protection of their vested interest.

It's well known that a number of councillors have "indirect" interests in private hire. It's also the case that the council owns the local bus company.

Yet, these are the people who administer our trade?

It is morally indefensible. But when the disenfranchised in the trade, those who do the hard graft but don't reap their just reward, finally get their brains in gear and demand change, it will come.

Bet on it!

8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:39 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Well, I am obviously irritating you and your kind - well worth £700 !!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if thats how he feels tdo let him back on
and he can pay £700 to some charity perhaps tdo holiday fund or sommit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:32 pm 

Have you ever seen such a prize asshole, the sad thing is I actually think he gives himself credit for everything he says.

Definite sewing bee material that one. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:42 pm 

jasbar wrote:

Perhaps my reaction to the OFT report was their demand to de-restrict without the road map of how to get there. I, like the rest of the trade, could only see the example of Dublin which was a disaster of mega proportions. Rightly, I didn't want that to happen.

To be fair to the OFT, I think there was some recognition of the Dublin problems (if only implicit), and they did say that in some areas standards should be increased.

However, their main problem was that their recommendation (ie 'proportionate' quality control etc) was so wooly that it could mean anything, and of course it could simply be ignored.

Likewise, the DfT's draft best practice guidance could similarly be read in many ways, and again it's only guidance.

Thus there's no flesh on the bones of what's being recommended, and in the final analysis it's down to councillors to decide these things, and as you outline in a recent post, they're more interested in protecting the vested interests (who often, for example, prefer lax quality control) than acting rationally, and don't know much about the trade in any case. Thus a rational and equitable approach to regulating the trade is unlikely without root and branch reform at the institutional as well as the trade level.