Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:05 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Single-shifted taxis reduce the supply of taxis at certain peak demand times, thus more double-shifted taxis help to reduce waiting times by their greater vailability time.
I am not explaining that very well, but I hope that you get the gist of what I mean!!!

The paper has about three or four pages on that issue Mr Cabbie.

Why did the STF and Mr MacAskill say that drivers would only work late at night at the lucrative times- are you saying the opposite?

Why did the STF seem to change tack and say that the late night periods would suffer.

Why did the T&G and NWTA say the complete opposite to the STF and Mr MacAskill?

Why did the NWTA man in Leeds say the complete opposite to the T&G and NWTA?

As for PH illegality, I agree with you entirely, but I can't see the connection with restricted taxi numbers, except to the extent that de-limitation would probably alleviate these problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:08 pm 

The local T&G have got themselves in a bit of a muddle.

They say to some that there will be less cars out at night, and then to others that drivers will cherry pick the busy times.

As clear as mud. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:13 pm 
John Davies wrote:
Again, I say congratulations to the person or persons who wrote this report. It is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Err, thanks John :oops:

But as I've told you a million times, do not exaggerate :)

Anyway, the cheque is in the post :shock:

But thanks again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:20 pm 
John Davies wrote:
I would never give a qualified statement on a report until I had read every dot and comma.

Don't look too closely or you'll see all the tyos and suchlike :oops:

It's amazing how these things appear as if by magic once it's too late!!

But it is difficult to proof read over the internet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:21 pm 
The typo typo wasn't intended, but it was ironic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:27 pm 

Taxi Driver Online wrote:
The typo typo wasn't intended, but it was ironic!

It's been a busy week. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:07 pm 

I think first of all the authors of the report need congratulated for the work and reseach that they've done, the knowledge within this trade is obvious.

The fact that the report is contrary to some of the trades views will make it the target of critisism, which i fully would expect a robust defence.

It highlights some of the ridiculous statements and scaremongering coming from the trade, some of these cannot be believed by even the people uttering them!

I have a few questions for later, but otherwise a good report based on solid groung.

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:24 am 
Anonymous wrote:
32, 123 words, yet the author remains anonymous.

Yes, Mr Anon, some people prefer to remain...err...anonymous!!

Maybe you should ask yourself why this is.

Then again, if this is your only counter-argument then perhaps it's obvious.

No need to be so touchy, it was just a statement of fact. However with so much effort being made to produce this piece it would have much more credibility with the name of the author. But dont take this as stating that it doesnt have "any" credibility. If this piece has been produced to be circulated amoungst various organistions then how can it be quoted if it doesnt have a route source.

And, far be it for me to advise but with so much effort into this piece of work I am very surprised that it was released in a word.doc format. Surely you should know that it should have been in .pdf for blatantly obvious reasons as to make it harder to edit. An legal eagle would know this.

And my reason to remain anonymous? Perhaps it is because with "ANYTHING" posted with my usual username gets jumped on by certain cretins on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:01 am 
Anonymous wrote:
But are they? Pubs are licensed on a similar basis. If the licensing authority feel that there are too many licensed premises within a certain area, they will refuse to license further premises - and that, without a survey of unmet demand.

Well I disagree with controlling pub numbers as well.

In any case the pub numbers rationale seems to be about public order and suchlike, and I really can't see the comparison with taxis.

Can you think of any other numerically controlled businesses other than pubs and taxis?

the reason pubs are restricted where they are is public order, ie not enough taxis to clear the town.

get more taxis and then stop restricting pubs!

not rocket science!

where is the Angel?
the other restricted licences are of course terestial tv stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:11 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

No need to be so touchy, it was just a statement of fact. However with so much effort being made to produce this piece it would have much more credibility with the name of the author. But dont take this as stating that it doesnt have "any" credibility. If this piece has been produced to be circulated amoungst various organistions then how can it be quoted if it doesnt have a route source.

And, far be it for me to advise but with so much effort into this piece of work I am very surprised that it was released in a word.doc format. Surely you should know that it should have been in .pdf for blatantly obvious reasons as to make it harder to edit. An legal eagle would know this.

And my reason to remain anonymous? Perhaps it is because with "ANYTHING" posted with my usual username gets jumped on by certain cretins on here.

Would it realy have more credibility with the authors name?
BY Dusty Bin?

inteligent people do not care who does works of art, as long as they are done!

by the way if you dont want jumping on, write sensibly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:26 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Why would making it a .pdf make any diffrence there is a program that works between word and pdf anyone can edit these documents, I have it in .pdf and .doc a legal eagle would know this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:03 am 

Anyone may be able to edit it once they down-load, and if they want to good luck to them.

However only one person can up-load it back. :wink:

I think the T&G piece was pdf, but it was quite simple to change it to word, and if I wanted to change it.

But there was little I could do to make it look any worse than it already was. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:15 pm 
An excellent item, well written and interesting.

What I would like to know though is the numbers of "working drivers" involved and whether equal percentages of H/C owner/drivers, H/C jockies, P/H owner drivers and P/H jockies were consulted and offered input.

Claims have been made that other reports responding to the OFT report are bias, and I must agree that I share those feelings as only those with a "vested interest" would feel compelled to write any kind of response, this report is just another to be added to the list.

Now I'm not questioning the hard work that must have gone into this document, nor am I questioning statistics shown within it (as statistics can easily be manipulated to show whatever the author wishes). All I am saying is that a claim that the report was complied by "working drivers" leaves it open to critisism, critisism it does not deserve.

I have remained consistant in my advice when it comes to "single tier" I have raised questions many times regarding being able to book a P/H vehicle and be confident in it being at the requested place at the requested time, particularly in more rural areas.

I no longer drive a taxi, my new venture started trading on Monday 1st March and I'm doing quite nicely thank you very much, so whatever comes of the OFT report through the DfT has absolutely nothing at all to do with my livlihood, I saw the warning signs up here and got out of it.

Finally, again I add my praise to the authors of the paper you published, I don't agree with it on most issues but its an honest opinion or observation and no-one could argue with that.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:18 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
What I would like to know though is the numbers of "working drivers" involved and whether equal percentages of H/C owner/drivers, H/C jockies, P/H owner drivers and P/H jockies were consulted and offered input.

Why? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:21 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
All I am saying is that a claim that the report was complied by "working drivers" leaves it open to criticism, criticism it does not deserve.

It's not a claim, it's a fact.

If that leaves it open to criticism, then so be it.

And I can't think of a better place to air that criticism, then on the boards of TDO. :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next