Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:19 pm 

gedmay wrote:
Why not read and digest what EXACTLY the report is saying,and perhaps have a good think at precisely what they are not saying. If you were proof scanning all well and good, but this is something that goes way beyond what we have had before. If you think about it Central government appears to passing the buck to local level, so grab the chance now to organise and get in to your councillors and influence your future.

There is quite a bit that the plate lads haven't read yet, and some of it could be good.

Cross-border being sorted, and dual areas got rid of are two. But I'm not so sure about the 'happy hour'. :?

However the plate issue will always be with us, until such time as it is no-longer with us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:24 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Well said, less of the gloating please cant see how either side can claim victory in this mess. :roll: :roll:

The only winners at the mo, are the likes of Halcrow who will not only have to survey every restricted manor every three years, but the scope of those surveys will be widened.

Thus double, double bubble for the likes of Halcrow. :?

I've also no-doubt that in time numbers restrictions will be forced out in all but a few council areas.

I just wish it would happen sooner. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:25 pm 

Andy7 wrote:
But, I have a feeling in my bones, that Sussex will get his plate.

More than likely. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:39 am 
gedmay wrote:
Gentlemen,
Somehow this report looks like all things to all people. Why not read and digest what EXACTLY the report is saying,and perhaps have a good think at precisely what they are not saying. If you were proof scanning all well and good, but this is something that goes way beyond what we have had before. If you think about it Central government appears to passing the buck to local level, so grab the chance now to organise and get in to your councillors and influence your future.
Finally lads lets put aside the petty nonsense and keep the dialogue flowing, something good can still come out of this debacle.
Ged

One of the few sensible statements I have seen on here...well said Ged!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:42 am 
Anyone know any good songs?

Post subject: O.F.T REPORT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:57 am 
The only people who have lost out are the owners of the radio firms.If they opened the ranks up even more cabbies would need the radio.There wouldn't be enough work on the ranks so we would all become more dependant on radio work.Therefore the owners of the busy firms would have cabbies knocking on the doors to join their company.The owners would then be in a position to increase the radio rent and perhaps introduce franchises.
The two tier system isn't perfect but we all make a living out of it,just.
I wonder if Sussex owns a Private hire firm? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:33 am 
Sussex you have behaved on this thread not only like a very bad loser, but rather like those scare story merchants that you once so powerfully downed with phases like "cost of surveys will double" what crap you will soon find the surveys are a thing of the past, at least the surveys you mean, if OFT did one thing they killed Halcrow Fox.

No local authorities will have to provide a batch of statistics on Governmental forms and publish thier intent in the local transport plans.

Where it says authorities will adhere to best practice, it means authorities will be shown as a shining example to others.

my council is heading for a fall, beccause they will have one zone where in the transport plan the government will be showimg a golden example of creative use of taxis, whilst in the adjoining zone will be stuck in restrictions by numbers so be it.

but there will be other Authorities like Gateshead, could be shown up as an authority with [edited by admin] old cabs, and hey presto restrict by numbers gleeming cabs and a better service.

either way government involvement means higher fares lets make no mistakes about that.

let no one on this or anyother forum be under any mishaprehension we are going to deliver better quality service or we are out!

not long now Sussex, we have lost our battle but believe me anyone who thinks its back to being, and no change had better think again, there is going to be big changes, but for now no premiums will be lost.

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:06 am 

Fat Lady wrote:
Anyone know any good songs?

I suppose "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away", for starters. :(

But I think in the short term future "Oh happy days are here again", will do nicely. :D

Post subject: Re: O.F.T REPORT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:09 am 

Blackcab wrote:
The only people who have lost out are the owners of the radio firms.If they opened the ranks up even more cabbies would need the radio.There wouldn't be enough work on the ranks so we would all become more dependant on radio work.Therefore the owners of the busy firms would have cabbies knocking on the doors to join their company.The owners would then be in a position to increase the radio rent and perhaps introduce franchises.

But surely they can do that for PH now?

However that was a point made out by the T&G in their dossier, that drivers would have to go on radio circuits to survive.

About two paragraphs after saying that drivers would leave radio circuits and ignore the phone work. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Post subject: Re: O.F.T REPORT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:13 am 

Blackcab wrote:
The two tier system isn't perfect but we all make a living out of it,just. I wonder if Sussex owns a Private hire firm? :lol:

I don't mind the two tier system, and hopefully we all do make a living. However is it right to restrict entry to one of them?

Do I own a PH firm, not bloody likely. Working all the hours god sends, putting up with idiot drivers, idiot punters, and idiot staff.

As I said, not bloody likely. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:23 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Sussex you have behaved on this thread not only like a very bad loser, but rather like those scare story merchants that you once so powerfully downed with phases like "cost of surveys will double" what crap you will soon find the surveys are a thing of the past, at least the surveys you mean, if OFT did one thing they killed Halcrow Fox.

No local authorities will have to provide a batch of statistics on Governmental forms and publish thier intent in the local transport plans.

Where it says authorities will adhere to best practice, it means authorities will be shown as a shining example to others.

That's not very nice, I thought I have been very contrite. :wink:

I disagree with the fact that Halcrow have been killed off. Someone has to survey, to get the figures. They must be independent, thus the council can't do it.

Now the likes of Halcrow wont be able to just count the heads at ranks. They pretend to use assess latent demand by customer surveys, but they never use that data to assess SUD. Now they will have to. :D

Yes 'best practice' could be a good thing, but it will still need to be assessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:26 am 

Anonymous wrote:
my council is heading for a fall, beccause they will have one zone where in the transport plan the government will be showimg a golden example of creative use of taxis, whilst in the adjoining zone will be stuck in restrictions by numbers so be it.

I thought of you when I read that. :wink:

Interesting times in Yorkie's manor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:29 am 

Anonymous wrote:
not long now Sussex, we have lost our battle but believe me anyone who thinks its back to being, and no change had better think again, there is going to be big changes, but for now no premiums will be lost.

Perhaps this small battle, but the war was won a long time ago. Now we are just trying to arrange the peace treaty. :wink:

As for the premiums, I believe the OFT study has opened up the eyes of many who thought that buying a plate was a sound investment, cos they are out there in abundance.

As for their value, I think they will never reach the dizzy heights of yesteryear, especially in your soon to be one zone manor. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:33 am 
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

That's not very nice, I thought I have been very contrite. :wink:

I disagree with the fact that Halcrow have been killed off. Someone has to survey, to get the figures. They must be independent, thus the council can't do it.

Now the likes of Halcrow wont be able to just count the heads at ranks. They pretend to use assess latent demand by customer surveys, but they never use that data to assess SUD. Now they will have to. :D

Yes 'best practice' could be a good thing, but it will still need to be assessed.

no I believe OFT destroyed the Halcrow machine, the forms of survey, police reports on town dispersion can be used, and only a single judge ever said the reports be independent.

however halcrow are not idependent they are paid by the council (from drivers funds but that part is hidden)

you buy shares in Halcrow Sussex, but I tell you what your money could be better invested in the 3.45 at Lingfield :wink:

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:12 am 
As a long time reader but as yet no posts I feel it is time to explain my view on what the response from government says:

The government have recommended all local authorities de-restrict. If they do not de-restrict then they must be prepared to demonstrate on appeal how the decision to keep restrictions in place benefits the CONSUMER. This may be done by having surveys at no less than 3 yearly intervals which must now also include latent demand which is not considered at the moment.

Most local authorities will find the restrictions impossible to defend and will remove them instead of trying. The government have won, local authorities will leave it to the local taxi trades to try and prove that less taxis can possibly be better for the consumer and when they fail miserably, which they will, they will de-restrict anyway.

Interested to hear your responses, especially your arguments that you will use to persuade consumers that less will give them more for less!!

Sussex you may be happy I don’t think there is any reason to keep your head down, apply for your plate, if they turn it down I would love to hear how they defend it on appeal :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next