Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:19 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
How childish.

Unless of course you are one of those being queue jumped. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:49 am 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:
Bath have two zones, of which one the city zone, is regulated. Bath licensing told me they have 90 Hackneys, however the DFT say they have 148. Perhaps the DFT figures include both zones.

Probably, but there are a lot of errors in the DfT stats.

Mansfield, for example.

According to Bath licensing they have 90 hackneys in their restricted zone. The DFT document fails to distinguish that fact. I supsect the figure of 148 refers to all Taxis, although I would have thought that even that particualr figure would have been higher.

Best wishes

JD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:23 pm 

JD wrote:
I have written a database of all those councils who still restrict numbers and I would like assistance from anyone who has an accurate knowledge of the plate values in the 125 Authorities that are listed in the restricted numbers thread.

Get a life whats it got to do with you . Drivers out there have begged ang borrowed and remorgaged there HOMES for taxi plates so why not just stick to driving P H cars . It s not the plate you buy it s the business and the right to be flagged . Plymouth is now being flooded with P H cars so it s not that often we get flagged anymore .
So if all these P H offices are so busy why are there cars parked in every back street in Plymouth waiting for a TOUT . Hay thats a new story for another time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:05 am 

GADGET wrote:
Drivers out there have begged ang borrowed and remorgaged there HOMES for taxi plates so why not just stick to driving P H cars .

Good question, why would you risk your HOME when you could stick to driving PH?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:45 am 

GADGET wrote:
JD wrote:
I have written a database of all those councils who still restrict numbers and I would like assistance from anyone who has an accurate knowledge of the plate values in the 125 Authorities that are listed in the restricted numbers thread.

Get a life whats it got to do with you . Drivers out there have begged ang borrowed and remorgaged there HOMES for taxi plates so why not just stick to driving P H cars . It s not the plate you buy it s the business and the right to be flagged . Plymouth is now being flooded with P H cars so it s not that often we get flagged anymore .
So if all these P H offices are so busy why are there cars parked in every back street in Plymouth waiting for a TOUT . Hay thats a new story for another time.

Welcome to the Forum Mr Gadget man. Very eloquent prose I might add, however, I would tread very carefully if I were you, “you may get arrested for trying to impersonate a taxi Driver”.

JD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:12 pm 

TDO wrote:
GADGET wrote:
Drivers out there have begged ang borrowed and remorgaged there HOMES for taxi plates so why not just stick to driving P H cars .

In a word fredom .
I can come and go when i like , if you ever drive a TAXI you ll find out they are totally different jobs .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:55 pm 

GADGET wrote:
In a word fredom .
I can come and go when i like , if you ever drive a TAXI you ll find out they are totally different jobs .

And who can blame you for that?

However why should that freedom not be shared by all in the trade, not just those with plenty of money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:03 pm 

Freedom;

being free; exemption from obligation;unrestricted use;aright or privilege

Just thought I'd point out the meaning of the word.

regards

Captain cab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:53 pm 

GADGET wrote:
TDO wrote:
GADGET wrote:

In a word fredom .

1 I drive a taxi, what did you think I drove?

2 Many taxi drivers aren't free in the way you claim, while many PH drivers are.

3 Some freedom if you've mortgaged your house on a taxi plate that could become worthless at any time. Why be so foolhardy and then complain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:56 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Freedom;

being free; exemption from obligation;unrestricted use;aright or privilege

Just thought I'd point out the meaning of the word.

regards

Captain cab

Precisely captain, ie the very opposite of a mortgage.

So some freedom Mr Gadget.

Post subject: Wirral
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:25 pm 

Wirral plates were worth circa £16,000 exc. vehicle.

Three years ago this month, they became worthless.

In that three years, the Number of plates has risen from 126 to 215.

Owners have lost £16,000 on their plates and are now having to work alongside an extra 89 cabs.

You would probably make more on the dole, and that's no exaggeration.

VISIT MY WEBSITE AT

Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm 

fairway wrote:
Owners have lost £16,000 on their plates....

Not Mr Royden though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:34 pm 

fairway wrote:

The figures I have for the Wirral echo yours somewhat. My figures reflect between 200 and 215. But I understand five of those licenses are about to lapse. The DFT figures in March 2004 showed Wirral as having 193, some might say thats quite a large increase considering there is a suggestion there is not much work to be had.

Quote:
Owners have lost £16,000 on their plates and are now having to work alongside an extra 89 cabs.

It's been sugested by a great many people that the motivation for buying a plate is driven by the desire to secure employment and not for any profit that might be accrued from plate values. I don't know what you're opinion is in that respect but you may wish to consider the fact that the great majority of owners before de restriction of numbers would have probably employed an additional driver, thats if the statistics of the TGWU and the rest of the official cab trade bodies are to be believed.

You conveniently omit the fact that most owners would have had an additional income of several thousand pounds per annum from an additional driver. Does this extra unearned income not count?

We have seen examples on this website of some people stating how much total expenditure they have per annum on their vehicle. It is noticeable that not one of them has stated how much unearned income they accrue each year from an additional driver. That does not surprise me in the least.
Quote:
You would probably make more on the dole, and that's no exaggeration.

Perhaps the additional 22 new owners should have taken your advice before they purchased a purpose built vehicle under three years old.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:26 am 

Quote:
fairway wrote:

The figures I have for the Wirral echo yours somewhat. My figures reflect between 200 and 215. But I understand five of those licenses are about to lapse. The DFT figures in March 2004 showed Wirral as having 193, some might say thats quite a large increase considering there is a suggestion there is not much work to be had.

Or more people coming into the trade and cherrypicking.

Quote:
Quote:

It's been sugested by a great many people that the motivation for buying a plate is driven by the desire to secure employment and not for any profit that might be accrued from plate values. I don't know what you're opinion is in that respect but you may wish to consider the fact that the great majority of owners before de restriction of numbers would have probably employed an additional driver, thats if the statistics of the TGWU and the rest of the official cab trade bodies are to be believed.

You conveniently omit the fact that most owners would have had an additional income of several thousand pounds per annum from an additional driver. Does this extra unearned income not count?

We have seen examples on this website of some people stating how much total expenditure they have per annum on their vehicle. It is noticeable that not one of them has stated how much unearned income they accrue each year from an additional driver. That does not surprise me in the least.

Are you suggesting that owners that double shift there vehicles dont declare this income to the Inland Revenue? I doubt this will be the case, the inland revenue regularly check vehicle milages.

Surely the income attained from an additional driver is a private matter between the cab owner and driver? with of course the revenue getting there 22%

The motivation behind purchasing a plate / business is to be your own boss with a secured form of income.

Are you suggesting that the public are worse off through this arrangement than the alternative currently in operation on the Wirral?

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:36 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Are you suggesting that owners that double shift there vehicles dont declare this income to the Inland Revenue? I doubt this will be the case, the inland revenue regularly check vehicle milages.

My dear Cap, you surprise me. "No" is the answer to your question. I'm suggesting exactly what I wrote and it doesn't say what you just implied.

I would prefer it, if you addressed what I said and not what you might wish me to say.

If I was going to say what you suggested I might be saying, I would have no doubt said it in the first place, It may help if you read once again what I actually said.

Quote:
Surely the income attained from an additional driver is a private matter between the cab owner and driver? with of course the revenue getting there 22%

Perhaps if I inquired about the income of a named individual owner in the first place then the response from you may have been appropriate. But seeing as I didn't, I can only assume you wish to broaden the subject at your own behest.

Just so you know what I said I'll type it again.

"You conveniently omit the fact that most owners would have had an additional income of several thousand pounds per annum from an additional driver. Does this extra unearned income not count?"

Does that spell it out? Or do you believe that most owners let other individuals drive their vehicles for free?

Quote:
The motivation behind purchasing a plate / business is to be your own boss with a secured form of income.

Here's what I said!

"A great many people have suggested that the motivation for buying a plate is driven by the desire to secure employment and not for any profit that might accrue from plate values."

Does that look similar to what you have just written? The reason why I wrote those words is because it is what the TGWU and the various trade bodies have been brainwashing us with for years. The funny thing is that it only applies to restricted authorities.

So perhaps you can see the irony, not my words but a varying degree of Taxi Trade bodies over many years. I was wondering who would pick up on that paragraph?

I suspect, each individual has their own reasons for purchasing a plate in a restricted authority. Not least the amount of track money they pay out.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the public are worse off through this arrangement than the alternative currently in operation on the Wirral?

If I suggest something, I make a point of spelling it out loud and clear and that’s what I did in this post. For some reason you chose to ignore what I wrote and replied with a post that was full of inferences on what I might have suggested.

The post is clear and precise, it points out the absence of unearned income that would offset any plate value loss in the Wirral, or any other place for that matter. To me that suggests one thing and that is the person who wrote the original post didn't take into account the unearned income I highlighted. I don't know how you arrive at the assumption that I was inquiring about personal details between two individuals?

Regards

JD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next