Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:39 pm 

thanks for clearing that up

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:56 am 
captain cab wrote:
thanks for clearing that up

Captain cab
8) 8)

CAP.. I dont know why you bother with j d ,he obviously has NO working knowledge of the TAXI TRADE or the pitfalls of runing a small business,listening to him go on about unearned income you would think he was referring to a solicitors bank account, where they earn an unearned income from other peoples money,

You and I know that W.A.V. are not cheap. two drivers on one cab,

1/ Keeps down congestion

2/ Cuts down on emissions ( Eco-friendly)

3/ Provides better service for the public (24/7)

4/ Provides safer service for the public (drivers not tired )

5/ Allows new drivers into the trade (who cannot afford cost of vehicle)

6/ Allows owner driver to live more of a normal life

I wonder if he knows the taxi drivers motto, If your wheels ain't turning your not earning.

...mrT... 8) :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:56 am 

MR T wrote:

CAP.. I dont know why you bother with j d ,he obviously has NO working knowledge of the TAXI TRADE or the pitfalls of runing a small business,listening to him go on about unearned income you would think he was referring to a solicitors bank account, where they earn an unearned income from other peoples money,

"Beware the ides of March"

Quote:
You and I know that W.A.V. are not cheap. two drivers on one cab.

lol the ones you drive around in are cheap enough matey.

That cost sheet of yours that you conveniently laid out on another thread is subject to a deduction of 8 grand. Thats the amount I'm deducting because of your un-earned income.

You say you like things out in the open such as the selling of plates etc, well the same applies to un-earned income. I suppose that puts your outgoings in the black. You should thank me for finding you some extra assets.

At least your not like Mr Marchant who tells the world he has to clear 17 grand before he makes a penny for himself lol

Truth hurts doesn't it.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:28 pm 

MR T wrote:
You and I know that W.A.V. are not cheap. two drivers on one cab,

1/ Keeps down congestion

2/ Cuts down on emissions ( Eco-friendly)

I cannot for the life of me work out how a doubled cab means less congestion and pollution than two singled vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:31 pm 

MR T wrote:
Allows owner driver to live more of a normal life

Precisely Mr T, 'I'm alright, so [edited by admin] the jockies'.

Instead of eco-friendly, I think you mean that doubled cabs compelled by quotas mean Mr T-friendly :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:18 pm 

The Ides of March
Just one of a dozen Ides that occur every month of the year

by Borgna Brunner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as Caesar knew, the Ides were just another day.
The soothsayer's warning to Julius Caesar, "Beware the Ides of March," has forever imbued that date with a sense of foreboding. But in Roman times the expression "Ides of March" did not necessarily evoke a dark mood—it was simply the standard way of saying "March 15." Surely such a fanciful expression must signify something more than merely another day of the year? Not so. Even in Shakespeare's time, sixteen centuries later, audiences attending his play Julius Caesar wouldn't have blinked twice upon hearing the date called the Ides.

The term Ides comes from the earliest Roman calendar, which is said to have been devised by Romulus, the mythical founder of Rome. Whether it was Romulus or not, the inventor of this calendar had a penchant for complexity. The Roman calendar organized its months around three days, each of which served as a reference point for counting the other days:

Kalends (1st day of the month)
Nones (the 7th day in March, May, July, and October; the 5th in the other months)
Ides (the 15th day in March, May, July, and October; the 13th in the other months)
The remaining, unnamed days of the month were identified by counting backwards from the Kalends, Nones, or the Ides. For example, March 3 would be V Nones—5 days before the Nones (the Roman method of counting days was inclusive; in other words, the Nones would be counted as one of the 5 days).

Days in March

March 1: Kalends; March 2: VI Nones; March 3: V Nones; March 4: IV Nones; March 5: III Nones; March 6: Pridie Nones (Latin for "on the day before"); March 7: Nones; March 15: Ides

Used in the first Roman calendar as well as in the Julian calendar (established by Julius Caesar in 45 B.C.E.) the confusing system of Kalends, Nones, and Ides continued to be used to varying degrees throughout the Middle Ages and into the Renaissance.

So, the Ides of March is just one of a dozen Ides that occur every month of the year. Kalends, the word from which calendar is derived, is another exotic-sounding term with a mundane meaning. Kalendrium means account book in Latin: Kalend, the first of the month, was in Roman times as it is now, the date on which bills are due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:22 pm 

Without doubt Captain we would be lost without your wisdom and knowledge. :wink:

Clearly an ex PH driver. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:25 pm 

aww thanks, but thank google, as opposed to dougal from the magic roundabout.

I'd never heard the expression until JD mentioned it

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:52 am 
JD,Sussex, Alex, TDO

can I tell you that some [edited by admin] has taken your intelectual property the database, and copywrited it !

arnet there some thieving [edited by admin]?

I would like to tell you whos committed this act of theft but unfortunatly they did not leave thier name!

and I have used info off it!

will I be sued?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:48 am 

Yorkie wrote:
JD,Sussex, Alex, TDO

can I tell you that some [edited by admin] has taken your intelectual property the database, and copywrited it !

arnet there some thieving [edited by admin]?

I would like to tell you whos committed this act of theft but unfortunatly they did not leave thier name!

and I have used info off it!

will I be sued?

It's JD's list, and I'm pretty certain if he wanted to keep it secret then it wouldn't be on here.

I would have thought the copywrite issue could be to stop the doom and scare-mongers mis-quoting it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:07 am 
once its on here it becomes the property of the administrators

and it was here the info was provided.

so why the copywrite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:16 pm 

Whether or not it's on here the copyright still belongs to the original author, and that applies whether or not there's any specific statement to that effect - you don't need to state on anything that you write that it's copyrighted - the protection applies automatically.

I don't think there's anything illegal about citing information from copyrighted documents, as long as you acknowledge the source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:17 pm 

UK copyright law
Fact sheet No. P-01
Issued: April 2000
Last amended: 26th May 2004
This fact sheet outlines the laws covering copyright in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Introduction
Copyright law and copyright originated in the UK from a concept of common law; the Statute of Anne 1709. It became statutory with the passing of the Copyright Act 1911. The current act is the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

About copyright law
Copyright law gives the creators of literary, dramatic, musical, artistic works, sound recordings, broadcasts, films and typographical arrangement of published editions, rights to control the ways in which their material may be used.

The rights cover; broadcast and public performance, copying, adapting, issuing, renting and lending copies to the public.

In many cases, the creator will also have the right to be identified as the author and to object to distortions of his work.

International conventions give copyright protection in most countries, subject to national laws.

Types of work to which copyright applies
Literary
song lyrics, manuscripts, manuals, computer programs, commercial documents, leaflets, newsletters & articles etc.

Dramatic
plays, dance, etc.

Musical
recordings and score.

Artistic
photography, painting, sculptures, architecture, technical drawings/diagrams, maps, logos.

Typographical arrangement of published editions
magazines, periodicals, etc.

Sound recording
may be recordings of other copyright works, e.g. musical and literary.

Films
broadcasts and cable programmes.

The Copyright (Computer Programs) Regulations 1992 extended the rules covering literary works to include computer programs.

When copyright occurs
Copyright arises whenever an individual or company creates a work:

A work is subject to copyright if it is regarded as original, and exhibits a degree of labour, skill or judgement.

Interpretation is related to the independent creation rather than the idea behind the creation. For example, your idea for a book would not itself be protected, but the actual content of a book you write would be. In other words, someone else is still entitled to write their own book around the same idea, provided they do not directly copy or adapt yours to do so.

Names, titles, short phrases and colours are not generally considered unique or substancial enough to be covered, but a creation, such as a logo, that combines these elements may be.

In short, copyright may protect a work that expresses an idea but not the idea behind it.

Who owns the copyright on a piece of work
Normally the individual or collective who authored the work will exclusively own the copyright. However, if a work is produced as part of employment then normally the copyright belongs to the person/company who hired the individual.

For freelance or commissioned work, copyright will usually belong to the author of the work, unless there is an agreement to the contrary, (i.e. in a contract for service).

Copyright does not subsist in any part of a work which is a copy taken from a previous work. For example, in a piece of music featuring samples from a previous work, the copyright of the samples would still remain with the original author.

Only the owner, or his exclusive licensee can bring proceedings in the courts.

Duration of copyright
The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;

For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works
70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), copyright will run for 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.

Sound Recordings and broadcasts
50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or,

if the work is released within that time: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released.

Films
70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last principal director, author or composer dies.

If the work is of unknown authorship: 70 years from end of the calendar year of creation, or if made available to the public in that time, 70 years from the end of the year the film was first made available.

Typographical arrangement of published editions
25 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first published.

Broadcasts and cable programmes
50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the broadcast was made.

Acts restricted by copyright
It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the copyright owner:

Copy the work.
Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.
Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.
Adapt the work.
The author of a work, or a director of a copyright film may also have certain moral rights:

The right to be identified as the author.
Right to object to derogatory treatment.
Acts that do not infringe copyright
Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree (normally copies of parts of a work) without infringing copyright, these acts are:

Private and research study purposes.
Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.
Criticism and news reporting.
Incidental inclusion.
Copies and lending by librarians.
Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.
Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as time shifting.
Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.
Playing sound recording for a non profit making organisation, club or society.
(Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a license from the Performing Rights Society.)

errm courtest of the copyright people :shock:

Captain cab

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22