Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:51 pm 
knowsley 13-15k liverpool sefton knowsley figures were wrond HOW many more are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:08 pm 
This "database" is flawed anyway Mr T.

You cannot compile a list of plate values without including every area where plates have a value.

Every council who have "derestricted plates" have maintained a restriction on the number of saloons ....................... so the list of councils who maintain a restrictive policy on vehicle numbers remains the same.

The cost of the saloon plates actually rises following derestriction, this is because saloon vehicles are cheaper to buy, insure and run ............. as well as the "comfort" factor.

The implimentation of the DDA has been suspended YET AGAIN so investment in such plates is secure ........... for the time being anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:37 pm 
TO charlie the paperlad liverpool all w.a.v???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:06 pm 

MR T wrote:
knowsley 13-15k liverpool sefton knowsley figures were wrond HOW many more are

The knowsley sefton and liverpool figures were researched by Halton council who got it right with their own Authority but got it wrong in stockport and manchester but they weren't that far out. I have already stated that these figures have to be verified, when they are verified you will know about it, provided you continue to subscribe to this forum.

If i knew of your credentials I may take into consideration your opinion as to the values in those three authorities which you mention. The accurate value however will be determined soon enough.

Halton had Liverpool at 50k which I personally thought might be a little high and so did several other well informed members. Seeing as liverpool is just down the road it will only be a matter of time before the exact figure is known.

With regard to Charlies contribution he knows quite well that the database is of those councils who still restrict numbers. He infers that those councils that are de restricting now are mainting a control on saloon vehicles, what Charlie fails to grasp is that saloon vehicles are no longer being licensed as hackneys by those Authorities that are derugulating and it is just a matter of time before those vehicles in his own patch need renewing and when they do they may find owners will not be allowed to replace those vehicles with saloons. Perhaps the exception being Nigels patch.

So we shall see how long saloons hold a plate value.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:26 pm 

Charlie the Paperlad wrote:
The cost of the saloon plates actually rises following derestriction, this is because saloon vehicles are cheaper to buy, insure and run ............. as well as the "comfort" factor.

I suspect that's wrong Charlie - I replied to your point last night but you just ignored it.

Do you think that if Brighton did a Gateshead tomorrow then the value of saloon plates would go up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:32 pm 

JD wrote:
The knowsley sefton and liverpool figures were researched by Halton council who got it right with their own Authority but got it wrong in stockport and manchester but they weren't that far out. I have already stated that these figures have to be verified, when they are verified you will know about it, provided you continue to subscribe to this forum.

If i knew of your credentials I may take into consideration your opinion as to the values in those three authorities which you mention. The accurate value however will be determined soon enough.

Halton had Liverpool at 50k which I personally thought might be a little high and so did several other well informed members. Seeing as liverpool is just down the road it will only be a matter of time before the exact figure is known.

When the Halton paper came out I had a hunch that the other figures might be a bit higher than they should be.

After all, since the purpose of the valuations was to show that Halton had relatively low values, thus justifying the retention of restrictions (on Halton's interpretation of the DfT's statement at least) it would clearly benefit their case if other areas were shown to be higher than they really were.

Subsequent events do indeed demonstrate that some of the values quoted seem a bit on the high side.

Not that I'm suggesting this was done deliberately mind - a clear cock up rather than a conspiracy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:41 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

When the Halton paper came out I had a hunch that the other figures might be a bit higher than they should be.

After all, since the purpose of the valuations was to show that Halton had relatively low values, thus justifying the retention of restrictions (on Halton's interpretation of the DfT's statement at least) it would clearly benefit their case if other areas were shown to be higher than they really were.

Subsequent events do indeed demonstrate that some of the values quoted seem a bit on the high side.

Not that I'm suggesting this was done deliberately mind - a clear cock up rather than a conspiracy :lol:

The Stockport figure of 12 to 20K was wrong the low side but near enough correct on the high side. I spoke to several well informed stockport cabbies the last week and the consensus is low twenties. That I might add is extremely accurate and reliable. The manchester figure of 55k+ was five grand out, the liverpool figure seemed slightly high but their own figure was spot on. In reality they are not that far out but Manchester and liverpool was perhaps overstated while Stockport was understated.

All will be put right soon enough.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:45 pm 

Please don't spoil my conspiracy theory John.

Where's your Xmas spirit?

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:43 pm 
credentials in 1960 at 14 learnt to drive in a fx3 and nearlly killed my old dad indoing so, it was his fx3 . driven both private hire and cabs ever since. not got a problem with plates being issued in a controlled number . have got a problem with (deregulation). lived through it,seen its effects, seen a lot of people go to the wall, and it took a long time to re-regulite. best wishes T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:51 am 

Quote:
learnt to drive in a fx3 and nearlly killed my old dad indoing so, it was his fx3

yeah, the TX's have the same problems with brakes too :lol:

hehe

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:44 pm 

MR T wrote:
sefton 11000-13000 not 25000

Well I must admit from my enquiries so far in knowsley the plate value would appear to be around 13k. It would also appear that Halton may have got it woefully wrong and you may have got it near pefectly right. Lets see what transpires in Sefton.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:59 pm 
JD. metro taxi 0151 933 6000. all the best and remember folks be careful out there love T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:35 am 
JD wrote:
TDO wrote:
JD wrote:
[Ok, I think the guy I spoke to in Halifax may have included the vehicle price. it certainly sounds like it.

I'll amend the 70k to reflect 50k as soon as I get another confirmation from Halifax tomorrow.

The Halcrow report on valuation of premiums quite specifically stated that the £65,000 related to the PREMIUM.

Of course, this might have reduced in value, but given the trends elsewhere, this seems unlikely.

Perhaps a more realistic value for the vehicle might be a lot less than £20k, in which case the £65k for the premium may not be unreasonable.

I've just had it confirmed 70 to 80k so i'll go with the lower figure. The person I spoke to seemd to think they are the highest in the country. I wouldn't dispute that perception at this moment in time. They must be earning a pretty penny in Halifax to have a value that high.

Best wishes

JD

well I dont think they are, the majority of public hire trips in Halifax are done by private hire cars

they kid themselves, but things are turning £70,000 for a plate is a sick joke, one sucker claimed to inland revenue that his take was £5,000 per year, now that was a [edited by admin] take

glad I dont own a Halifax cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:42 am 
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:
There are 37 plates in Halifax and they haven't decided what to do with regard to the Government guidance. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Can someone please tell me if the end of March comes at a different time of the year in Halifax, than to the rest of the country? :?

dont know what you are refering too Sussex but yes the end of March does come at a differnt time in Halifax.

christmas is celebrated in January, when the shops are less busy and goods are cheaper, it has a knock on effect over the rest of the year.

so it follows :roll: :roll: that march is actualy in April :lol: :lol:

Jesus some of the questions you ask!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:49 am 
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:
There are 37 plates in Halifax and they haven't decided what to do with regard to the Government guidance. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Can someone please tell me if the end of March comes at a different time of the year in Halifax, than to the rest of the country? :?

by the way they have decided what to do with government guidance you obviously missed it and my response.

they have decided to survey Halifax, last time this was done the verdict was 5 new cabs per year over 5 years, which was ignored

the verdict next time will simularly be ignored, on that we are just a bit more robust than Brighton.

and arguments about service to the public wont come into it.

they dont bother about them, if they want a lift home just flag a private hire car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next