Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:44 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Its nice to see you admitting that you have misquoted me.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Given the amount of times you accuse me of it, I thought it was about time I proved you right for a change :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:53 pm 

Quote:
I doubt he has ever seen a tribe of wannabes in a slanging match with councilors and neither has anyone else. But he obviously isn't going to let that little fact get in the way of a poor story.

I'm not sure if Mr Cummins has seen such an event, but I have.

It was right between an interesting dialogue where a wannaplate stated words to the effect " Listen this is all about customer service, dont forget the customer"

The now gorraplate (and former wannaplate) currently does a school run twice per day, not going on any cab rank or radio circuit in between, indded the only time he's at work is a Saturday evening, with a quaint insistance on cash work only!

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:16 pm 

Cap,
The story you describe I call the "lifeboat" theory... when you are in the water trying to get in there always appears to be plenty of room, miraculously when you scramble on suddenly the boat appears to be full.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:20 am 

captain cab wrote:
I'm not sure if Mr Cummins has seen such an event, but I have.

It was right between an interesting dialogue where a wannaplate stated words to the effect " Listen this is all about customer service, dont forget the customer"

A little vague here aren’t we? Can you expand a little, such as where and when it took place and with whom? And is that all that was said by the Wannabe?

Quote:
The now gorraplate (and former wannaplate) currently does a school run twice per day, not going on any cab rank or radio circuit in between, indded the only time he's at work is a Saturday evening, with a quaint insistance on cash work only!

It may have escaped you attention Cap but I distinctly said “Tribe of Wannabes”. Since when has one Wannabe been a Tribe of Wannabe’s? I used the plural to denote more than one. Yet you altered this to suite you’re purpose. I’ll pose the question again and perhaps this time you might address the point as it was put, not as how you might wish it to be put.

Have you ever seen a tribe of Wannabes in a slanging match with councillors for free plates or demonstrating in their vehicles by continuously driving around the Town hall and blocking traffic? Etc, etc, etc.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:35 am 
John,
Ithink you totaly misinterpreted the captains post

I think he was trying to tell us something of value

on this one please get your tanks off his lawn>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:05 am 

Yorkie wrote:
John,
Ithink you totaly misinterpreted the captains post

I think he was trying to tell us something of value

on this one please get your tanks off his lawn>

Yes I think you're right I probably did misinterpret it lol. I suppose I better make a hasty retreat before the Captain sends in the RAF.

By the way, I like the “Tanks on the lawn” phrase.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject: It's all go in Bath
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:55 pm 

I am ONE of these "LUCKY" people to have got a H/C Plate in Bath.
I would like to tell you abut the situation in our small BUT lovley city.

[quote]"This is a 20 per cent increase in the number of hackney carriage vehicles, but there is not 20 per cent more trade," said Rachael McLoughlin, who has run a hackney carriage taxi in Bath for the past seven years.

[quote] 1 "In the seven years I've been a proprietor, there has always been a limit on the number of plates.

[quote] 2 "There is now an excellent bus service for the students in Bath which means we no longer get much trade from them.

1) Rachael McLoughlin is a JOINT proprietor and likes to make out its ALL hers.

2) The bus that is used is a BENDY-BUS and it takes up tooooooo much of the road, gets stuck thus bringing the traffic in the city to a standstill and is a hazard. The streets of bath are not big enough for this type of bus. And this excellent oversized bus service only runs till 3am.

Not all the proprietors of the HC plates feel the same as Rachael McLoughlin as some of them do still talk to me but Rachael McLoughlin is stiring up a load of [edited by admin] and turing people against each other. look at how many people are in the Bath Spa Taxi Association, it only represents 72 out of 89 taxi (HC) drivers/proprietors but some of these drivers/proprietors have second drivers.
Who represents them? :?

One of the members of the Bath Spa Taxi Association who was only renting the plate (which is illegal) also put in for a FREE plate.
HE was granted a FREE plate on the first day and had the NERVE to go in the next day heckling and saying there are toooooooooomany H/C plates out there.
Oh yes and he HAS NOT even been sent to coventry unlike like the rest of us. FUNNY THAT. :lol:

Double standards? I think so

These people are like kids that WONT let u play with there toys even though they dont play with them saying i might play with it later. :cry:

They have had it good enough for long enough.

[quote]"In the end, it will come down to market forces. If there is not enough demand, the weak will fall." :D

Time will tell. :twisted: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:04 pm 

GIM, thats a fine location :wink:

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:24 pm 

Thank you Captain Cab.
8)
I had alook at some of the other locations and yours was one of the best, so i thought a similar location but not as HIGH RANKING as yours would be good. :)

Post subject: Re: It's all go in Bath
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:15 pm 

GODS INFORMATION MINISTER wrote:
Not all the proprietors of the HC plates feel the same as Rachael McLoughlin as some of them do still talk to me but Rachael McLoughlin is stiring up a load of s**t and turing people against each other. look at how many people are in the Bath Spa Taxi Association, it only represents 72 out of 89 taxi (HC) drivers/proprietors but some of these drivers/proprietors have second drivers.
Who represents them? :?

One of the members of the Bath Spa Taxi Association who was only renting the plate (which is illegal) also put in for a FREE plate.
HE was granted a FREE plate on the first day and had the NERVE to go in the next day heckling and saying there are toooooooooomany H/C plates out there.
Oh yes and he HAS NOT even been sent to coventry unlike like the rest of us. FUNNY THAT. :lol:

Double standards? I think so

These people are like kids that WONT let u play with there toys even though they dont play with them saying i might play with it later. :cry:

They have had it good enough for long enough.

Yes, the truth does hurt Mr GIM, but at least some people can work out the truth :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:54 pm 

There's part of this final report that did make I chuckle. :lol: :lol:

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/committee_pap ... Policy.htm

It's towards the end. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:05 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
Sussex wrote:
There's part of this final report that did make I chuckle. :lol: :lol:

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/committee_pap ... Policy.htm

It's towards the end. :lol: :lol:

It also made me chuckle especially this one below which may sum up some of the twoddle written
Roy Davey, retired operator
"As I have been retired since end of October 2002, the letter you sent me was a complete waste of your time, my time, paper and money. Typical B&NES."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:24 pm 

TAXI DRIVERS IN FIGHT FOR THEIR LIVELIHOODS

Cabbies are likely to face a free for all in the fight for business in a move which would increase the number of taxis in Bath. Politicians will next week decide whether to abolish the limit on the number of hackney carriages allowed to operate in the city.

Bath and North East Somerset Council angered existing drivers earlier this year when it increased the number of licences from 89, which had been the maximum for several years, to 110.

A hackney carriage licence allows drivers to pick up fares from taxi ranks and in the street, while private hire vehicles must be booked in advance.

The move would be in line with Government guidelines set by the watchdog body, the Office of Fair Trading, which has recommended that all restraints on taxi numbers should be lifted.

Cabbies represented by the Bath Spa Taxi Association will be fighting the proposal at a council executive meeting next Wednesday, and say lifting the ceiling could lead to unsafe vehicles taking to the road, and rural areas being starved of transport.

Association secretary Glen Harrington, a driver for more than 30 years, said: "People who have been doing the job for years are up in arms about this.

"It's unfair for the dedicated taxi drivers who have put years into the trade and have invested in prestige cars and in ones to meet the Disability Discrimination Act."

He believes taxi standards will drop, with older cars being used, and that people who have spent money to keep high standards and meet safety and disability rules will not be able to maintain their hire purchase payments.

Mr Harrington says drivers want the council to carry out a survey to find out what the demand for taxi drivers in the district is before making any decision.

The last survey, an independent one carried out in 1998, found that there was one taxi driver too many in operation at that time.

"They have already allowed 20 per cent more taxis, but the whole population of B &NES has only increased by four per cent since 1991, so where is the need?" said Mr Harrington.

The proposals also seek to end the division of B &NES into two zones, allowing all drivers to work wherever they wish in the district.

Mr Harrington said: "Because the bus service is so poor in the rural villages, the elderly, infirm and non-drivers who rely on taxis are going to be starved of the service.

"By human nature, the grass is always greener, and the rural drivers will start to work in Bath, but they will be doing nothing. Trade has already dropped and we are noticing the difference since the extra licences were granted recently. I know someone who is afraid they won't meet their mortgage this month."

He says drivers in Bristol were forced out of business by a 150 per cent increase in hackney carriages when the city council removed the limit on taxi numbers.

A report to the council meeting says a survey would cost up to £20,000, and it warns operators could mount a legal challenge to deregulation.

The report stresses that although there was a big increase in hackney licences in Bristol, many went to drivers already operating in the private hire field, with an overall rise of only four per cent in vehicles across the board.

The council hopes that it may, in future, be able to insist on taxis using greener fuels, and its community safety team says it is concerned that a lack of vehicles at peak night-time periods at present increases the dangers for people travelling home after a night out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:03 pm 

Quote:
A report to the council meeting says a survey would cost up to £20,000, and it warns operators could mount a legal challenge to deregulation.

hmm, perhaps they know somthing we dont.

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:11 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
and it warns operators could mount a legal challenge to deregulation.

hmm, perhaps they know somthing we dont.

As could, some say will, many of the lads who want to run cabs but are being held back by a 150 year old flawed piece of legislation. :sad:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next