Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:

Safety should be more important than a few extra quid.

So true.

Unfortunately I don't think Britain is ready to accept the concept of a taxi driver limiting himself to a maximum of 10 hours driving in a day.

I accept the concept of an 'average of 10 hours' maximum.

With the job being a one way carry the driver is 'at liberty' to make his own schedule for return. He can thus take as many breaks of whatever duration when on his own.

Were we have difficulty is when the customer wants a wait and return over a considerable distance.

If they book a car for the day in London we send a second driver in on the train to take over from the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:19 pm 

I find it very pleasing that some of us actually care for the drivers. :D

I think that perhaps the only benefit of a max working week, will be such issues as this.

But will customers welcome the associated price rises? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:23 pm 

I would suggest avoiding the M25 if it puts 2 hours on your journey. Try cutting across via Chievelly.

As for 15 min break every two hours, I thought that a bit excessive. You must mollycoddle your drivers up north there mate. :wink:

Under domestic drivers hours rules, you can work up to 5 hours without a break. Most Bus drivers do.

Under EC rules, you must have a 15 minute break every 4.5 hours.

A ten hour driving day with appropriate breaks, is perfectly legal on at least two occassions per week, if on your other days, you drive for no more than 9 hours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:21 am 
Andy7 wrote:
I would suggest avoiding the M25 if it puts 2 hours on your journey. Try cutting across via Chievelly.

As for 15 min break every two hours, I thought that a bit excessive. You must mollycoddle your drivers up north there mate. :wink:

Under domestic drivers hours rules, you can work up to 5 hours without a break. Most Bus drivers do.

Under EC rules, you must have a 15 minute break every 4.5 hours.

A ten hour driving day with appropriate breaks, is perfectly legal on at least two occassions per week, if on your other days, you drive for no more than 9 hours...

must confess I dont know that way you must send me a route.

we are trying to get ready for the new legislation.

like yoiu we are soon going into buses we will have to exchange notes.

but we dont want massive change along with the rest of the trade.

like tom and yourselves we consider ourselves to be leaders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:12 am 
Diversifying into other sectors would not convince me that my profession was moving forward.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:39 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Diversifying into other sectors would not convince me that my profession was moving forward.

Rural areas are different,
all our compeditors do some diversifying whether into the odd limosene or parcels.

our trade is changing all drivers now have to test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:19 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:

Rural areas are different,
all our compeditors do some diversifying whether into the odd limosene or parcels.

our trade is changing all drivers now have to test.

Very true words.

We don't "have" to diversify at all. We do so because we choose to go down the bus route (if you will excuse the pun).

In the rural areas, we don't always just run cabs for a living, but because we also want to provide a service.

It's a matter of where our bread is buttered. We get no subsidy as cabs, but CAN get some running taxibuses. If we can do so and provide a better service to our customers, then that has to be the way to go.

As rural taxis, we rely upon a customer base far more than in a large town, as we pick up the same people every day. I would say that 90% of my pickups are people I already know/have met before. We need to keep them, and grow our business at the same time. If we can do so while offering better provisions for new customers too, then we all win.

I'll give you an example: When we started doing wheelchairs, we were still a cab company, but entered into an entirely new market sector, and managed to develop a whole new range of customers as a result of it. That means both more money for us, and greater access and journey oportunities for the disabled. It was, for us, a win win situation. (And they dont throw up in our cabs). And guess what? I actually like most of these people - they appreciate us!

With the taxibuses, its the same thing. We bring more money into the cab business, and develop a whole new range of customers, many of whom not previously regular taxi users due to the cost. It makes one busier overall and can reduced average dead mileage by a substantial amount across the entire fleet. And all this, with help from our Councils. How much help do you get from yours Mick?

We are not like Group Taxibus/Airport Carz, we do not serve one large town at all. We serve a sparsely populated rural area, where no bus or taxi means no transport at all for those without a lot of money.

We have two directions for expansion, either we move into the big towns and compete with the big boys, as a little fish in a big pond, or we go the way we are, and improve the services to our rural community, becoming a big fish in a small pond.

We move in against big boy competition, we get grief.

We do what we do, and we get compliments and support from all (with the possible exception of the Police). And earn a bit more money into the bargain.

So, how do say we are not moving forward? Frankly, as with Tom and Geoff, I see us as leading edge (or trying to be, anyway). How would you see the trade moving forward? Staying as it is, simply does not appear to be one of the options in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:58 pm 

Andy,
More power to your elbow and keep up the good work. It is great to hear that altruism is part of your trading concept and not purely a profit motive. This must have been what they were thinking of when Taxibuses were first proposed and not the means of by- passing legislation that our friends in Manchester and elsewhere are doing.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:37 am 
gedmay wrote:
Andy,
More power to your elbow and keep up the good work. It is great to hear that altruism is part of your trading concept and not purely a profit motive. This must have been what they were thinking of when Taxibuses were first proposed and not the means of by- passing legislation that our friends in Manchester and elsewhere are doing.
Ged

Whats happening at Manchester airport is an embarasment and a disgrace
and this taxibus opperator is committed to supporting the Manchester cabbies, if these [edited by admin] cause changes in legislation through thier disgraceful behaviour it will hit us and the future of rural taxis

SO GED MORE POWER TO YOUR ELBOW MAY THE LORD BE WITH YOU.

Yorkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:33 pm 

I know Ged that you have mentioned you are in a delicate position at your airport, but have you got any good news?

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:50 pm 

Alex,
Things are moving but ever so slowly. I amstill reluctant to reveal anything "on air" because our friends are wily enough to monitor the forums.
The problem at the moment is that the Oft report has come at the wrong time and is diluting the effort. Personally I would like Manchester to fight one front only and obviously that is our friends at the Unfairport.
I did hear the other day that our beloved council are reluctant to engage in any action because of the possible litigation and the other chap having deeper pockets. To illustrate that, a few months back the council insisted that all private hire vehicles were to be white. The private hire section were up in arms and a court case followed, the council won.Our friends livery is Silver and they appealed. The appeal was denied but lo and behold a sudden change of heart and magically silver is acceptable.
What about the lads who have had resprays or bought new vehicles? Easy, they will never successfully amalgamate for any legal action so just ignore them.
As I have said before I think the major problem for us is that Manchester Council are 51% shareholders in the Airport and I know, off the record of course as always, that there as been arm twisting to look the other way.
These vehicles are parked directly opposite us and we know that they are accepting hirings from passengers walking up to them. The police and the council enforcers are conspicuous by their absence. They are breaking the law and we still await action.
My e.mail is listed if anybody wants more info.
Geoff, thanks for your support, I and most of the lads are determined that we will win no matter how long it takes. Fair competition is something I can accept but a level playing field is something we have not got.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:56 am 
gedmay wrote:
Alex,
Things are moving but ever so slowly. I amstill reluctant to reveal anything "on air" because our friends are wily enough to monitor the forums.
The problem at the moment is that the Oft report has come at the wrong time and is diluting the effort. Personally I would like Manchester to fight one front only and obviously that is our friends at the Unfairport.
I did hear the other day that our beloved council are reluctant to engage in any action because of the possible litigation and the other chap having deeper pockets. To illustrate that, a few months back the council insisted that all private hire vehicles were to be white. The private hire section were up in arms and a court case followed, the council won.Our friends livery is Silver and they appealed. The appeal was denied but lo and behold a sudden change of heart and magically silver is acceptable.
What about the lads who have had resprays or bought new vehicles? Easy, they will never successfully amalgamate for any legal action so just ignore them.
As I have said before I think the major problem for us is that Manchester Council are 51% shareholders in the Airport and I know, off the record of course as always, that there as been arm twisting to look the other way.
These vehicles are parked directly opposite us and we know that they are accepting hirings from passengers walking up to them. The police and the council enforcers are conspicuous by their absence. They are breaking the law and we still await action.
My e.mail is listed if anybody wants more info.
Geoff, thanks for your support, I and most of the lads are determined that we will win no matter how long it takes. Fair competition is something I can accept but a level playing field is something we have not got.
Ged

Ged,
I think you may find that if they are licensed by the traffic commission (as well as private hire) the council have no latitude

all our taxis must be white, but when licensed with the traffic commission as buses burgandy and white becomes ascceptable.

not fair but there it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:58 pm 

To be frank about all this, is it not the legislation tself, which creates the problems for all of us?

If we had a true single-tier legislative system based upon a level playing field concept (I mean, how big an issue is the difference btween a nine seat and a eight seat vehicle?), then we would all know where we stood and be able to compete faily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:43 am 
Andy7 wrote:
To be frank about all this, is it not the legislation tself, which creates the problems for all of us?

If we had a true single-tier legislative system based upon a level playing field concept (I mean, how big an issue is the difference btween a nine seat and a eight seat vehicle?), then we would all know where we stood and be able to compete faily.

well 2 things here, the difference between the two vehicles is one seat,
and that one seat extra is the difference between vat and no vat, and the capacity changes from 4 couples to 4 and a half couples.

if there is an accident very serious 1 more person stands to die or be seriously injured in one bus than the other.

there has to be a divide somewhere and european maxi taxis are 8 seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:58 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:
I thought, and I am probably wrong, that councils could only set rates for journeys in their district.

The out of area surplus is 'an agreement' between the trade members.

Am I right in this or wrong?

Councils are only allowed to set fares within their boundary. Any fare that ends outside the boundary can if the driver wishes, be negotiated. It doesn't have to be charged at a higher rate but because of the dead mileage involved it normally is. A driver can also refuse to take a fare if the destination finishes outside the boundary. Any journey that finishes within the prescribed council limits can only be charged at meter fare, regardless if the journey takes you out of the boundary and then brings you back in again. The h/c bye laws should have a reference to fare charges.

Best wishes

John Davies
Manchester

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next