UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:24 pm 

Thanks ALI T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:29 pm 

A few weeks ago during my ongoing investigations into the Jacobs report I had cause to enquire into the plate values in Edinburgh. I contacted the person in question from I.T.S and we had a very amicable conversation about the value of plates and the confidential way in which transfer transactions took place. I was given details of about half a dozen vehicles, which were being offered for sale and we both determined the plate values to be in the region of 45.000 pounds.

Knowing nothing about the company I.T.S I can only say that the person I spoke to and I am sure you all know who I am referring was very polite and courteous.

The bottom line is that plates in Edinburgh have a scarcity value of around 45,000 pounds and that is official.

It is significant that Ian Millership of Jacobs's fame could have obtained the same information that I obtained but he chose not to. What surprises me even more is that the Liverpool survey by Jacobs did contain fairly accurate plate values so why did they omit plate values in Edinburgh that were easily obtainable?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:13 pm 

Sorry to be a pain in the neck JD . I know Liverpool is dead and buried . I have just had a quick look, at the Liverpool Jacobs survey, i can not find a reference to plate values . Dont know what page its on do you, sorry . It seems strange Jacob did not consider ,the rapid rise in Seftons private hire fleet , at the time 1540 as clear evidence of unmet demand . He must of new that most of the Sefton P H work in Liverpool . streetcar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:53 pm 

streetcar wrote:
Sorry to be a pain in the neck JD . I know Liverpool is dead and buried . I have just had a quick look, at the Liverpool Jacobs survey, i can not find a reference to plate values . Dont know what page its on do you, sorry . It seems strange Jacob did not consider ,the rapid rise in Seftons private hire fleet , at the time 1540 as clear evidence of unmet demand . He must of new that most of the Sefton P H work in Liverpool . streetcar

It was the number plates held by individual owners that Jacobs highlighted in the Liverpool report not the plate values. That was a mistake on my part. However considering Liverpool plates are advertised nearly every day in the Liverpool echo it begs the question why Jacobs didn't include plate value information in their report. So we have a situation where even though plate values are freely advertised in both Edinburgh and Liverpool Jacobs intentionally for whatever reason failed to include them in both reports. Unusual to say the least especially when they have been informed by the DfT that artificial plate premiums are an indication of unmet demand?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:21 pm 

JD wrote:
streetcar wrote:

It was the number plates held by individual owners that Jacobs highlighted in the Liverpool report not the plate values. That was a mistake on my part. However considering Liverpool plates are advertised nearly every day in the Liverpool echo it begs the question why Jacobs didn't include plate value information in their report. So we have a situation where even though plate values are freely advertised in both Edinburgh and Liverpool Jacobs intentionally for whatever reason failed to include them in both reports. Unusual to say the least especially when they have been informed by the DfT that artificial plate premiums are an indication of unmet demand?

Regards

JD
THANKS JD STREETCAR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:45 pm 

JD wrote:
A few weeks ago during my ongoing investigations into the Jacobs report I had cause to enquire into the plate values in Edinburgh. I contacted the person in question from I.T.S and we had a very amicable conversation about the value of plates and the confidential way in which transfer transactions took place. I was given details of about half a dozen vehicles, which were being offered for sale and we both determined the plate values to be in the region of 45.000 pounds.

Knowing nothing about the company I.T.S I can only say that the person I spoke to and I am sure you all know who I am referring was very polite and courteous.

The bottom line is that plates in Edinburgh have a scarcity value of around 45,000 pounds and that is official.

It is significant that Ian Millership of Jacobs's fame could have obtained the same information that I obtained but he chose not to. What surprises me even more is that the Liverpool survey by Jacobs did contain fairly accurate plate values so why did they omit plate values in Edinburgh that were easily obtainable?

Regards

JD

I.T.S have a number of plates for which they are asking this high figure. They are trying to lead the market. It is significant that they are still holding these plates while others are selling at considerably less.
So there is nothing official about this figure - sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:26 pm 

[/quote]realcabforce

I.T.S have a number of plates for which they are asking this high figure. They are trying to lead the market. It is significant that they are still holding these plates while others are selling at considerably less.
So there is nothing official about this figure - sorry.[/quote]

well in the absense of any other official figures we will have to accept theses figures,that is until you present youre figures,hurry up i aint got all day :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:16 am 

I've noticed, as I'm sure many others have, theres a lot of reference to the PH / Taxi numbers as a seemingly strong reason as to why Edinburgh should be a free for all.

Now down here in London we are out numbered by 34'000 Minicabs to 20'000 Taxis's driven by 24'500 drivers.

So should we be thinking of de-limiting in London as well, looking at the above arguement?

Nearly forgot! we are de-limited (with quality control) so you might end up with exactly the same in Edinburgh : No change.

That of course remains to be seen, if you get your way.

GBC. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:14 pm 

Exactly GBC, a level playing field, makes you wonder why anyone would want a restricted market. Unless of course you are one of the anointed who have squandered 45k on a wing and a prayer and the CEC of course.

One little challenge somewhere in the country such as Plymouth and the whole house of cards comes a tumbling down.

I wonder who would be to blame then.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:34 pm 

Skull wrote:
One little challenge somewhere in the country such as Plymouth and the whole house of cards comes a tumbling down.

Now its funny you mention that phrase . . . .

Theres a little theory on another site about that one . . . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:23 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Skull wrote:

Now its funny you mention that phrase . . . .

Theres a little theory on another site about that one . . . :wink:

Funny how yesterday it was a certainty, now it might be a challenge in a distant authority :roll: , hey "suffex", was that what you meant???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:25 pm 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
Funny how yesterday it was a certainty, now it might be a challenge in a distant authority :roll: , hey "suffex", was that what you meant???

If you could, just for this once, make an iota of sense, then I would only be to pleased to answer what you ask. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 am 

Sussex wrote:
Realcabforceforum wrote:

If you could, just for this once, make an iota of sense, then I would only be to pleased to answer what you ask. :D

Seems you had to many "largers"?? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:49 am 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Realcabforceforum wrote:

Seems you had to many "largers"?? :lol: :lol:

Where's your mate, you know the one, the other half of the two bum cheeks. You might want to tell him the damage is done.