Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:46 am 
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
not long now Sussex, we have lost our battle but believe me anyone who thinks its back to being, and no change had better think again, there is going to be big changes, but for now no premiums will be lost.

Perhaps this small battle, but the war was won a long time ago. Now we are just trying to arrange the peace treaty. :wink:

As for the premiums, I believe the OFT study has opened up the eyes of many who thought that buying a plate was a sound investment, cos they are out there in abundance.

As for their value, I think they will never reach the dizzy heights of yesteryear, especially in your soon to be one zone manor. :D

Which local council are you licensed with susssex?? And what's their policy on restricting numbers??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:48 pm 
guest wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
not long now Sussex, we have lost our battle but believe me anyone who thinks its back to being, and no change had better think again, there is going to be big changes, but for now no premiums will be lost.

Perhaps this small battle, but the war was won a long time ago. Now we are just trying to arrange the peace treaty. :wink:

As for the premiums, I believe the OFT study has opened up the eyes of many who thought that buying a plate was a sound investment, cos they are out there in abundance.

As for their value, I think they will never reach the dizzy heights of yesteryear, especially in your soon to be one zone manor. :D

Which local council are you licensed with susssex?? And what's their policy on restricting numbers??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:36 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

nice try!

I'm not sure I understand that reply, are you saying its confidential? If so I resepct your confidentiality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:25 pm 
Guest wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

nice try!

I'm not sure I understand that reply, are you saying its confidential? If so I resepct your confidentiality.

Sussex man is based in er Sussex, we have tried to tease from him a more exacting location without Sussex, after a couple of years I cab give an educated guess, however I would never do that to him.

You are very wise to be "Guest" if you are new let me tell you, that any information is used against you, and you get some very strange people, who take things a little far...........................

Keep yourself very anonymous if you take my advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:32 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Guest wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

nice try!

Sussex man is based in er Sussex, we have tried to tease from him a more exacting location without Sussex, after a couple of years I cab give an educated guess, however I would never do that to him.

You are very wise to be "Guest" if you are new let me tell you, that any information is used against you, and you get some very strange people, who take things a little far...........................

Keep yourself very anonymous if you take my advice.

That explains it, thank you. I wasn't aware his location was private but I fully understand his reasons for keeping it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:43 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
As a long time reader but as yet no posts I feel it is time to explain my view on what the response from government says:

The government have recommended all local authorities de-restrict. If they do not de-restrict then they must be prepared to demonstrate on appeal how the decision to keep restrictions in place benefits the CONSUMER. This may be done by having surveys at no less than 3 yearly intervals which must now also include latent demand which is not considered at the moment.

Most local authorities will find the restrictions impossible to defend and will remove them instead of trying. The government have won, local authorities will leave it to the local taxi trades to try and prove that less taxis can possibly be better for the consumer and when they fail miserably, which they will, they will de-restrict anyway.

Interested to hear your responses, especially your arguments that you will use to persuade consumers that less will give them more for less!!

Sussex you may be happy I don’t think there is any reason to keep your head down, apply for your plate, if they turn it down I would love to hear how they defend it on appeal :!:

Its very interesting isnt it that the government say that, on appeal they will have to demonstrate these new things on appeal............

wait a minute though have we missed something? the law is not to be changed and its down to Local Authorities?

so thats a load of bollocks to start with, Her Magesties Government are sabre rattling, also there is nothing in law to say las have surveys? merely that they are the ones to have onus on proof.

U learned a long time ago, that you can win..........but you loose, there is a lot of crowing going on within the ranks, my view is to let the celebrations roll, and pat the victors on the back!

for soon they will realise, that they need in future to do lots of paperwork with transport plans, lobbying there, they will not have time to drive taxis.

and there is the best practice comming out here there and everywhere evidence flying around.

some cannot even grasp basic law like Las cannot refuse to transfer a cab, after telling them this they still believe las could refuse transfers?

So its up to LAs the government say?, hahahahahah, what a bloody laugh
with las having to justify this that and the other in transport plans, which are bidding doccuments involving millions of pounds in Government cash?

tell me fellow guest, if the government reject a transport plan for your county because a districts insert does not comply with government thinking,
and it hold up work on a new bypass or millions of pounds in government grant, what will happen think about it.

heads the government wins tails you lose.

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:00 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex wrote:
No I haven't ignored anything, I can assure you of that, and I will be keeping the pressure up locally, as well as nationally.

But Mr Scanners I would wait until the guidelines come out before crowing too much. :shock:

Will your council always have the same councillors? Will your council really want to spend time on further surveys and countless follow up meetings, now including latent demand?

One wonders how many plates in your area would have been issued if latent demand had been included in your last survey?

But perhaps the question that the DfT will ask, is the one that has never been answered by anyone in the trade i.e. what benefits do consumers gain by restricting taxi numbers?

Now thankfully, that question will have to be addressed the length and breadth of the country. :D

No more hiding behind the plate premium, no more hiding behind gutless councillors, in short, no more hiding. :wink:

Oh the fun we will have on TDO and elsewhere with this one.

What...... If........ How........Where........ When....... Clutching at straws as usual Sussex.

And I will point out that I am not "crowing" about anything. The correct decision has been made. Local Level. And any future changes in LA's as far as change of councillors goes will not affect anything. Its will all be at local level. Not national. So YOU will have to concentrate on Eastbourne now. YOU will have address YOUR complaints direct. It will make no difference now what other LA's do..It is all at local level.

"Will your council always have the same councillors?

Of course not but having different councillors does not necessarily mean they will have different views. However, again. it is best dealt with at local level. I hope the good relationship between the trade and the council will be as good as it has been with the fantastic support they have officially given so far.

Will your council really want to spend time on further surveys and countless follow up meetings, now including latent demand?

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt about this whatsoever.

And again.. I am not "crowing" about this at all...just presenting the facts.

Now thankfully, that question will have to be addressed the length and breadth of the country.

Oh the fun we will have on TDO and elsewhere with this one

What YOU can do now is give YOUR reports on YOUR local authority. You can report on here what YOU have done, what YOU are doing, and what progress you are making. And good luck to you as well. If you can strike up a good relationship with YOUR LA and work with them you may finally get what YOU want. You obviously have the time to do this.

Best of luck. Scanner :wink:

Remember you said that Scanner its down to Local Authorities and its what you wanted!

Brighton and Hove rely on a county to get things in the transport plan am I correct, in thinking you are not a transport authority?

you know a council that has its own roads, or subsidises buses?

Right, this year your area have got nothing in rural grant, for the buses, no big loss about £75,000, imagine the county being held up for a million and a half cos your private hire and taxi insert does not stack up?

I dont think you realise yet, exactly what you have on your plate, and you are crowing carry on pal, you deaerve it its your victory, yoiu have all you wanted.

this lot will come back to haunt you, but you have until the general election to get hold of a transport plan, read it, understand it understand its workings and how to get influence.

never mind headlines that say: CABBIES HOLD UP BINS BEING EMPTIED

Future ones will say,

CABBIE HOLD UP SCHOOL ROAD SAFETY SCHEME

CABBIES HOLD UP 2.5M BYPASS.

POTHOLES IN THE ROAD DOWN TO CABBIES

geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:39 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex wrote:
No I haven't ignored anything, I can assure you of that, and I will be keeping the pressure up locally, as well as nationally.

But Mr Scanners I would wait until the guidelines come out before crowing too much. :shock:

Will your council always have the same councillors? Will your council really want to spend time on further surveys and countless follow up meetings, now including latent demand?

One wonders how many plates in your area would have been issued if latent demand had been included in your last survey?

But perhaps the question that the DfT will ask, is the one that has never been answered by anyone in the trade i.e. what benefits do consumers gain by restricting taxi numbers?

Now thankfully, that question will have to be addressed the length and breadth of the country. :D

No more hiding behind the plate premium, no more hiding behind gutless councillors, in short, no more hiding. :wink:

Oh the fun we will have on TDO and elsewhere with this one.

What...... If........ How........Where........ When....... Clutching at straws as usual Sussex.

And I will point out that I am not "crowing" about anything. The correct decision has been made. Local Level. And any future changes in LA's as far as change of councillors goes will not affect anything. Its will all be at local level. Not national. So YOU will have to concentrate on Eastbourne now. YOU will have address YOUR complaints direct. It will make no difference now what other LA's do..It is all at local level.

"Will your council always have the same councillors?

Of course not but having different councillors does not necessarily mean they will have different views. However, again. it is best dealt with at local level. I hope the good relationship between the trade and the council will be as good as it has been with the fantastic support they have officially given so far.

Will your council really want to spend time on further surveys and countless follow up meetings, now including latent demand?

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt about this whatsoever.

And again.. I am not "crowing" about this at all...just presenting the facts.

Now thankfully, that question will have to be addressed the length and breadth of the country.

Oh the fun we will have on TDO and elsewhere with this one

What YOU can do now is give YOUR reports on YOUR local authority. You can report on here what YOU have done, what YOU are doing, and what progress you are making. And good luck to you as well. If you can strike up a good relationship with YOUR LA and work with them you may finally get what YOU want. You obviously have the time to do this.

Best of luck. Scanner :wink:

Remember you said that Scanner its down to Local Authorities and its what you wanted!

Brighton and Hove rely on a county to get things in the transport plan am I correct, in thinking you are not a transport authority?

you know a council that has its own roads, or subsidises buses?

Right, this year your area have got nothing in rural grant, for the buses, no big loss about £75,000, imagine the county being held up for a million and a half cos your private hire and taxi insert does not stack up?

I dont think you realise yet, exactly what you have on your plate, and you are crowing carry on pal, you deaerve it its your victory, yoiu have all you wanted.

this lot will come back to haunt you, but you have until the general election to get hold of a transport plan, read it, understand it understand its workings and how to get influence.

never mind headlines that say: CABBIES HOLD UP BINS BEING EMPTIED

Future ones will say,

CABBIE HOLD UP SCHOOL ROAD SAFETY SCHEME

CABBIES HOLD UP 2.5M BYPASS.

POTHOLES IN THE ROAD DOWN TO CABBIES

geoff

Not quite sure what you are trying to put across :?: I reckon 1.5 out of 10 for coherency and 10 out of 10 for bitterness. However, I thank you for putting your name to this one..it makes a change. :lol:
Scanner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:31 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
The government have recommended all local authorities de-restrict. If they do not de-restrict then they must be prepared to demonstrate on appeal how the decision to keep restrictions in place benefits the CONSUMER. This may be done by having surveys at no less than 3 yearly intervals which must now also include latent demand which is not considered at the moment.

Most local authorities will find the restrictions impossible to defend and will remove them instead of trying. The government have won, local authorities will leave it to the local taxi trades to try and prove that less taxis can possibly be better for the consumer and when they fail miserably, which they will, they will de-restrict anyway.

I think the smaller councils that restrict, will see the red tape, or in economic speak 'pointless bureaucracy', and decide that allowing the market to determine the amount of taxis needed to meet demand, is a far better way. :D

No more should over-paid head counters, two bob councillors, and the vested interests decide on how many cabs are needed to meet demand.

Let those that pay decide, as happens in every other trade. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:39 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Sussex you may be happy I don’t think there is any reason to keep your head down, apply for your plate, if they turn it down I would love to hear how they defend it on appeal :!:

I agree it would be interesting, but I find that it's best to let others deal with the courts.

However, I can't really see how they are going to assess latent demand properly, without it costing fortunes, and the outcome of such a survey, can only really have one conclusion, and that's a load more cabs.

I say that because when you ask people if there are enough cabs, they only remember the few times they have had to wait, and say that more are needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:42 pm 

guest wrote:

A council within the great county of Sussex, and they are satisfied, beyond reasonable doubt, that taxi demand is being met.

And of course councils are really best placed to make commercial decisions. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:48 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Its very interesting isnt it that the government say that, on appeal they will have to demonstrate these new things on appeal............

wait a minute though have we missed something? the law is not to be changed and its down to Local Authorities?

Most judgements relating to sec 16 of the 1985 Act, usually refer to the guidence issued from the DoT (then) in 1986.

So any new guidence should have a considerable impact on any new court cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:51 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
So its up to LAs the government say?, hahahahahah, what a bloody laugh
with las having to justify this that and the other in transport plans, which are bidding doccuments involving millions of pounds in Government cash?

tell me fellow guest, if the government reject a transport plan for your county because a districts insert does not comply with government thinking,
and it hold up work on a new bypass or millions of pounds in government grant, what will happen think about it.

heads the government wins tails you lose.

Geoff

And there Mr Yorkie, you have hit the nail on the head. :shock:

Transport plans aren't just a little paper-work exercise, they bloody well count. If councils don't do as they are told by Gov, they can miss out on a lot of money.

Interesting times. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:54 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

The great county of Sussex no-longer has to deal with B&H.

Thankfully they are now an unitary authority. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:57 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Not quite sure what you are trying to put across :?: I reckon 1.5 out of 10 for coherency and 10 out of 10 for bitterness. However, I thank you for putting your name to this one..it makes a change. :lol:
Scanner

I think Geoff is trying to say that if the Gov don't like B&H's Transport Plan due to the taxi bit, then B&H will not get it's full quota (pun intended) of money to repair the roads etc.

And you know how much the Argus loves the taxi/PH trade. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next