Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:45 am 

I was in Bolton last night and having spoken to several owners I can confirm the plate value is 10 - 12k. Considering they re-restricted last year that's not bad a plate value.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:40 am 
John
you sad [edited by admin], aint you anything better to do christmas eve?
we had one of those nights, where tips exceeded the take, and people took ages to get into the taxis.

had a row with this bloke who insisted on landing reindears on my roof, told him I cared not who he was but to get them off.

what a night, what a chrismas, and now we learn interst rates have been kept high and will be reduced in january.

well john happy new year, the one who does not like your database has gone.

no doubt jelous that he could not compile it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:36 pm 

Yorkie wrote:
John
you sad [edited by admin], aint you anything better to do christmas eve?
we had one of those nights, where tips exceeded the take, and people took ages to get into the taxis.

lol, I hope not too sad.

I guess it could be said I was killing two birds with one stone. I wasn't particular bothered about the work, it was very quiet in Manchester. I was fortunate to get a 50 pound job to Edgeworth just outside of Bolton. I suppose you could call it being conscientious.

Bolton looked quite busy, much busier than Manchester.

I came away from Bolton quite satisfied that another plate value had been nailed and at the end of the day to me that's what its all about, getting things right. As for today I have a house full, everyone's having a good time lots of presents and all that stuff. I have a few things planned but first I have to finish off a document I've been preparing for a certain licensing Authority.

If anyone is out on the road today working, have a good day.

Happy New Year to you too, and good luck.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:22 pm 

Yorkie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:
There are 37 plates in Halifax and they haven't decided what to do with regard to the Government guidance. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Can someone please tell me if the end of March comes at a different time of the year in Halifax, than to the rest of the country? :?

dont know what you are refering too Sussex but yes the end of March does come at a differnt time in Halifax.

My point was that if Haliax haven't really got any idea what they are doing in respect of the Gov Action Plan, then I can't see how they will have it all sorted by the end of March. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:24 pm 

JD wrote:
I was in Bolton last night and having spoken to several owners I can confirm the plate value is 10 - 12k. Considering they re-restricted last year that's not bad a plate value.

But I bet when they re-restricted those owners told the council that there was no business, and drivers were losing their houses etc etc.

In other words, a load of old bollocks. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:16 pm 

Quote:
In other words, a load of old bollocks.

sussex be christian, its christmas

hehe

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:58 am 
Sussex wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:
There are 37 plates in Halifax and they haven't decided what to do with regard to the Government guidance. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Can someone please tell me if the end of March comes at a different time of the year in Halifax, than to the rest of the country? :?

dont know what you are refering too Sussex but yes the end of March does come at a differnt time in Halifax.

My point was that if Haliax haven't really got any idea what they are doing in respect of the Gov Action Plan, then I can't see how they will have it all sorted by the end of March. :shock:

they wont be sorted by end of march I am sure, as said prevously twice, the Halifax zone is to be surveyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:19 am 

Hi
Just found out that Stockport are carrying out a survey but its not being done by Halcrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:13 am 

cheshirebest wrote:
Hi
Just found out that Stockport are carrying out a survey but its not being done by Halcrow.

Anyone who read the list would have found out on 1st December that Stockport are undertaking a Survey and who by.

97. Stockport. Restricted. Commissioning a Mori survey to determine future policy.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:09 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

But I bet when they re-restricted those owners told the council that there was no business, and drivers were losing their houses etc etc.

In other words, a load of old bollocks. :sad:

Yes that was why Bolton put a limit back on numbers, the taxi drivers said they weren't making it pay.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:17 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:
Yes you are right, it is an area fraught with difficulty but we are not going to let that stop us are we? lol

I think it's a great idea, and as long as people know that the plate value is based on the average vehicle, be it saloon or WAV, then it will be quite good to see where all the un-met demand really is. :wink:

Chelmsford plates were changing hands for 40 - 45k before the threat of de restriction. They are now selling for 20k. If the council decide not to change it's policy on January 26th then they will more than likely revert back to 45k.

It just goes to show how much a plate devalues when uncertainty sets in.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:18 pm 

JD wrote:
Yes that was why Bolton put a limit back on numbers, the taxi drivers said they weren't making it pay.

Best wishes

JD

Well they would say that, wouldn't they? :^o

It's doubtful whether things are any more profitable for them after so short a period, yet plates are now worth five figures.

Funny that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:24 pm 

JD wrote:

But what things like this demonstrate is what it takes for the uncertainty to actually set in.

You would think that anyone following the OFT process and the Govt's statement would have seen this as heralding a period of uncertainty, but in many parts of the country this has certainly not been reflected in plate values.

Of course, when it's happening at the local level and it's splattered all over the local press then it seems to finally permeate down to the grass roots.

But it all comes down to what I said ages ago about market transparency and a fully informed market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:56 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

But what things like this demonstrate is what it takes for the uncertainty to actually set in.

You would think that anyone following the OFT process and the Govt's statement would have seen this as heralding a period of uncertainty, but in many parts of the country this has certainly not been reflected in plate values.

Of course, when it's happening at the local level and it's splattered all over the local press then it seems to finally permeate down to the grass roots.

But it all comes down to what I said ages ago about market transparency and a fully informed market.

Yes, uncertainty is the overriding factor isn't it. It is knowing council or Government policy with regard to Taxi numbers that makes for certainty or uncertainty. After March 2005 there may be a period of certainty but one never knows. There are other factors in play that the vast majority of the trade doesn't have a clue about. Those in restricted areas will know soon enough what the future holds for them short term but what about long term?

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:44 pm 

After reading this little lot, one realises how lucky we are in London. £50k for a plate and thats before LTI take another £30k of you for their plastic fords! God i need to sit down and have a drink. Oh that means i can't work tonight! Damn it, still never mind. Happy New Year to all, see you on the other side . . . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next