Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:08 pm 
So we move from un-met demand to latent demand?? The mind boggles, never mind hey??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:08 pm 

Nidge wrote:
I don't see it that way, it was the Councils decision, they had a survey and the survey said no un-met demand.

Well the point is that the council are part of the cartel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:10 pm 
TDO wrote:
Nidge wrote:
By the way the don't the PH in Brighton run on the same tarriff as the HC?? I don't see much difference do you :D :D :D

No difference at all Nidge.

Except the £40,000 plate premium :lol:

So the HC lads pay £40,000 premium, the PH lads pay the price of a plate, who are the most [edited by admin] off? I'd say the HC lads wouldn't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:10 pm 

Nidge wrote:
So we move from un-met demand to latent demand?? The mind boggles, never mind hey??

The point is that there was UNMET demand found, and plates issued, and presumably if latent UNMET demand had been measured, more plates would have been issued.

So patent unmet demand was found, but latent unmet demand wasn't measured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:11 pm 
TDO wrote:
Nidge wrote:
I don't see it that way, it was the Councils decision, they had a survey and the survey said no un-met demand.

Well the point is that the council are part of the cartel?

Tell me where do you get that conclusion from? Sour grapes now is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:11 pm 
i expect someone will tell me but arent plate prices an indicator of unmet taxis demand.
I know they never used it in our last surevy. But would it be assessed now? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:12 pm 
Cgull wrote:
i expect someone will tell me but arent plate prices an indicator of unmet taxis demand.

Nope only the ques on the ranks show a un-met demand. TIme to go now got a pint waiting for me 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:12 pm 

Nidge wrote:
[So the HC lads pay £40,000 premium, the PH lads pay the price of a plate, who are the most [edited by admin] off? I'd say the HC lads wouldn't you?

Depends when they bought it and how much they paid for it.

But I suppose if someone had just paid £40k and the council had de-limited then they would be pretty [edited by admin] off.

But anyone paying £40k has done so recently, and clearly just taking a risk in view of what's going on, so they may be [edited by admin] off, but not much deserving of sympathy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:14 pm 

Nidge wrote:

Tell me where do you get that conclusion from? Sour grapes now is it?

I've been concluding that for years.

A cartel is an agreement to fix a market, ie in the taxi case by restricting entry.

Since it's the council that restricts entry then they can't really NOT be part of the cartel, surely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:16 pm 

Cgull wrote:

Well the DfT seemed to think so, but the surveys don't.

Ar$e and elbow springs to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:16 pm 
TDO wrote:
Nidge wrote:
[So the HC lads pay £40,000 premium, the PH lads pay the price of a plate, who are the most [edited by admin] off? I'd say the HC lads wouldn't you?

Depends when they bought it and how much they paid for it.

But I suppose if someone had just paid £40k and the council had de-limited then they would be pretty [edited by admin] off.

But anyone paying £40k has done so recently, and clearly just taking a risk in view of what's going on, so they may be [edited by admin] off, but not much deserving of sympathy.

One last one my pint is getting warm, the hc lads pay £40,000 for a plate, the PH pay nothing but are earning the same and working from the same fare structure as the HC. Turn it round it should be the HC who should be [edited by admin] off because thay are singing from the same song sheet as the HC lads. See ya later me beer is getting warm. =D> =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:18 pm 

Nidge wrote:
TIme to go now got a pint waiting for me 8) 8) 8) 8)

Lucky you :mrgreen:

I'm off out shortly for the 'busy' period.

Even in the spam season, I occassionaly go out to get enough for a tin of corned beef :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:49 am 
Cgull wrote:

yes according to circular 3/85 from the department of transport section 27 ,as given to me by my union the T and G which Nigel also belongs to

clearly states the size of premiums can be evidence of unmet demand in the market place, also latent demand and supressed demand can be taken into account.

supressed demand by the way is where you book a taxi from a taxi company and a private hire car turns up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:38 am 

Nidge wrote:
One last one my pint is getting warm, the hc lads pay £40,000 for a plate, the PH pay nothing but are earning the same and working from the same fare structure as the HC. Turn it round it should be the HC who should be [edited by admin] off because thay are singing from the same song sheet as the HC lads. See ya later me beer is getting warm. =D> =D>

How do you conclude that PH and HC are earning the same?

Take a simple case of an HC street car and a PH vehicle, assuming Brighton was not restricted. The plated HC would have no other overheads, whereas an identical PH would have to pay office dues.

So the PH car is down for a kick off. Then there's no guarantee it will get as much work as the HC, anyway.

The premium speaks for itself Nidge - that's the measure of the financial advantage in having access to the restricted street market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:38 am 
TDO wrote:
Nidge wrote:

How do you conclude that PH and HC are earning the same?

Take a simple case of an HC street car and a PH vehicle, assuming Brighton was not restricted. The plated HC would have no other overheads, whereas an identical PH would have to pay office dues.

So the PH car is down for a kick off. Then there's no guarantee it will get as much work as the HC, anyway.

The premium speaks for itself Nidge - that's the measure of the financial advantage in having access to the restricted street market.

Thats why most of the lads in Brighton Hc trade work from a office.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next