Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:29 am 

Anonymous wrote:

vindication of the status quo?

have you understood the government response captain?

its far from status quo!

Geoff

Geoff,

reading through the restrictions part of the govt response

point 1, is basically a statement of fact, with no change

point2, is a statement of fact with no change

point 3, is a statement of oft recommendations, no change

point 4, is a government statement advises LA's to delimit, but also justify any limit they with to impose, no change.

point 5, local control, no change

point 6, advises LA's to justify there reasons for limits and to advise the govt by 31st March 2005, basically clarifying the postition to the govt of the LA's.

point 7, the govt will issue guidelines, however, if you have an effective local TOA most of the people on the working groups will already be known, no change as taxis are already permitted access to such groups

point 8, no change

point 9, gives LA's and TOA's 3 years to sort local matters out.

point 10, taxis should already be involved with LTPs and are in many parts

point 11, is it not about time the govt issued best practice on taxi licensing?

points 12 to 17 regarding quality are in the best interests of the trade and have already been taken up by enlightened TOAs

I dont really want to go on, but i reaffirm my statement that the govt response is status quo, no new laws

regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:43 pm 
Qoute Geoff

Scanner (andy)

not bitter at all, I am just reading into how things are to be.
now you need to do the same.

what I am [edited by admin] off about is your ungentlemanly and childish conduct.

you know "I told them this and I told them that"

grow up Andy

Geoff

No.. you are reading things the way you want them to appear.

I absolutely deny and childish dehavour. Please point out exactly where you think this has occured???
Scanner

Post subject: Re: sad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:20 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:
There some sad and bitter people on here Its about time some of you grew up the best sort of service for the public is to run HCs + PHs thus natural competition between the two giving the public the service they want not what the HC or PH think they want. The Local Councils should have the power to add or even remove the amount of plates issued by the use of a survey to find if there is an unmet demand as are council does which never finds an unmet demand in fact there is one to many HC plates ( IT FUNNY HOW THESE SURVEYS NEVER LIMITS THE AMOUNT OF PH PLATES)

ok Brain of Britain,
tell us now how you would remove plates from the market.
I am ready for a good laugh!

That's just the point if the local councils act as they should and do the surveys into unmet demand in areas that have been deregulated and now find that there are to many HCs What do they do (you may laugh but every point has to be considered )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:55 pm 
guest wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:
There some sad and bitter people on here Its about time some of you grew up the best sort of service for the public is to run HCs + PHs thus natural competition between the two giving the public the service they want not what the HC or PH think they want. The Local Councils should have the power to add or even remove the amount of plates issued by the use of a survey to find if there is an unmet demand as are council does which never finds an unmet demand in fact there is one to many HC plates ( IT FUNNY HOW THESE SURVEYS NEVER LIMITS THE AMOUNT OF PH PLATES)

ok Brain of Britain,

That's just the point if the local councils act as they should and do the surveys into unmet demand in areas that have been deregulated and now find that there are to many HCs What do they do (you may laugh but every point has to be considered )

I will tell you exactly what they do from experience,

they say there is a ballance of cabs to demand.

in every authority this happens rthere is no lawfull provision for clawing back plates.

and in our patch when a plate is handed it, it is not reissued.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:52 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
guest wrote:

ok Brain of Britain,

I will tell you exactly what they do from experience,

they say there is a ballance of cabs to demand.

in every authority this happens rthere is no lawfull provision for clawing back plates.

and in our patch when a plate is handed it, it is not reissued.

Thankyou for the straightforward reply (makes a pleasant change)
Have good DAY Regards from the (Brain of Britain,)
:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:01 pm 

guest wrote:

I'm not laughing, but the issue of granting a license is that license stays in place until you lose it. They cannot take it back just because they think there are too many out there.

That would be against their human rights. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:28 pm 
Sussex wrote:
guest wrote:

I'm not laughing, but the issue of granting a license is that license stays in place until you lose it. They cannot take it back just because they think there are too many out there.

That would be against their human rights. :wink

JUST LIKE SOMEONE FROM THE OFT TELLING ME AND THE LOCAL COUNCILS HOW TO RUN THERE LIVES WHEN THEY HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE WHAT IS INVOLVED

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:19 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
JUST LIKE SOMEONE FROM THE OFT TELLING ME AND THE LOCAL COUNCILS HOW TO RUN THERE LIVES WHEN THEY HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE WHAT IS INVOLVED

Not at all.

There is a massive difference between taking someone's plate away, to that of granting another one, to a fit and proper person.

OFT and the Gov don't want to take your plate away, just allows others to share the spoils.

As happens in the PH trade. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:05 am 
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Not at all.

There is a massive difference between taking someone's plate away, to that of granting another one, to a fit and proper person.

OFT and the Gov don't want to take your plate away, just allows others to share the spoils.

As happens in the PH trade. :wink:

Then let them do it through the local councils with the proper unmet demand survey
I can tell you this I do not want to work the hours a private hire driver has to work to make a living because there is no control on there numbers Unmet demand surveys are the only way to supply a good service to the public and also keep good standards within the taxi trade I like to change my cab every three years this makes good economic sense to me But if the number of cabs where not limited I would not be able to do this Its not just about a share of the spoils as you like to put its about supplying a good service and being happy in the job as I am :D (bound to get some sarcastic remake about being happy oh well) :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:45 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Then let them do it through the local councils with the proper unmet demand survey
I can tell you this I do not want to work the hours a private hire driver has to work to make a living because there is no control on there numbers Unmet demand surveys are the only way to supply a good service to the public and also keep good standards within the taxi trade I like to change my cab every three years this makes good economic sense to me But if the number of cabs where not limited I would not be able to do this Its not just about a share of the spoils as you like to put its about supplying a good service and being happy in the job as I am :D (bound to get some sarcastic remake about being happy oh well) :oops:

Why should they do it through an un-met demand survey, they are nearly as flawed as the system they pretend to manage?

We don't have un-met demand surveys for any other trade, so why should one side of the trade be protected against fair competition from the other?

As for you needing protection from competition in the form of restricting numbers, to make your trade viable, I say that your trade is weak and inefficient to need such protection.

There is no numbers restrictions on PH, but they have bypassed the taxi trade in terms of numbers and customers using them.

Why? Because they adapt to customers needs, when customers want them. Not by the stale of process of a few head counters telling customers how many they need.

Also if it isn't viable to run a taxi without restrictions, then how do the majority of taxis exist in the UK, because they don't have them, nor need them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:08 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Why should they do it through an un-met demand survey, they are nearly as flawed as the system they pretend to manage?

We don't have un-met demand surveys for any other trade, so why should one side of the trade be protected against fair competition from the other?

As for you needing protection from competition in the form of restricting numbers, to make your trade viable, I say that your trade is weak and inefficient to need such protection.

There is no numbers restrictions on PH, but they have bypassed the taxi trade in terms of numbers and customers using them.

Why? Because they adapt to customers needs, when customers want them. Not by the stale of process of a few head counters telling customers how many they need.

Also if it isn't viable to run a taxi without restrictions, then how do the majority of taxis exist in the UK, because they don't have them, nor need them.

out of interest Mr Sussex person what is the majority of councils that dont have restrictions i would be interested to know who they are what is the percentage 10% 40% 60% or what were do you get your facts from that the majority are derestricted

Quote:
We don't have un-met demand surveys for any other trade

because we are weak and only a small part of the public transport sistem just look at the rail servifce and bus now they do there own thing Now ther talk of re regulating them (NOT LONG NOW?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:17 pm 
brian of britain ? wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

out of interest Mr Sussex person what is the majority of councils that dont have restrictions i would be interested to know who they are what is the percentage 10% 40% 60% or what were do you get your facts from that the majority are derestricted

Quote:

because we are weak and only a small part of the public transport sistem just look at the rail servifce and bus now they do there own thing Now ther talk of re regulating them (NOT LONG NOW?)

of course other industries have unmet demand servays, the bus industry for one, b4 Sussex you say they are not compulsory in law, neither is the hackney trade.

dunno why Brain of Britain keeps going on about private hire trade in this respect, they are not part of the great hoax.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:35 pm 
brian of britain ? wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Quote:

I don't think you adressed the main point of Mr Sussex question, Mr Guest. Which was, "why do you need a licensing authority to protect you from competition"

In another thread when questioning the right of a person to get a free plate, Gateshead Angel said "the world owes no one a living". Therefore why should a licensing authority owe you a living and no one one else?

Best wishes

John Davies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:57 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Qoute Geoff

Scanner (andy)

not bitter at all, I am just reading into how things are to be.
now you need to do the same.

what I am [edited by admin] off about is your ungentlemanly and childish conduct.

you know "I told them this and I told them that"

grow up Andy

Geoff

No.. you are reading things the way you want them to appear.

I absolutely deny and childish dehavour. Please point out exactly where you think this has occured???
Scanner

Come on..still waiting for you to justify your statement :wink:
Scanner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:16 pm 

Gosh, Scanner, are you yet another Andy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next