Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:40 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
, and he does'nt have the tube network, 100'000 buses, and 12 train companies along with 900 minicab companys to compete with (oh, and 25,000 other drivers).

The population of London only stretches so far.

Bad December?

Not the best, but I suspect everyone was the same.

But you seem to be adopting the classic tactic of trying to dodge the substantive points and instead trying to ridicule people, but you must be quite a nice guy because the worst of them just start hollering abuse :wink:

But I don't really see what the amount of buses, minicabs and tubes have to do with how much you earn vis-a-vis others in the UK.

I mean someone driving in the middle of nowhere probably has none of the above to contend with and he might still earn a pittance, do you agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:42 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:

You are a taxi driver??? :?

I'm not saying Mr Greenbadgecabby, but I'll give you three choices:

1 - Jumbo jet pilot :D
2 - QEII captain :lol:
3 - Taxi driver :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:44 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Tell us all where you ply the trade Mr TDO, your profile does'nt tell us much apart from your 'into' computers.

Well since you haven't narrowed it down to less than 25,000 to 1 then I'll not be too specific either.

It's outside London :lol: :D :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:03 am 
TDO wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
Quote from TDO"Despite the number of drivers, I suspect you are still capable of earning a lot more than any other taxi drivers in the UK"

An expert on the London Trade, oh we do like those, ever considered a job with TFL.

So am I right or wrong, or are you just trying to dodge the issue?

By the way, I don't know why you think I'm trying to be an 'expert' on the London trade, I merely made a remark that was heavily qualified by the words 'I suspect', so again it looks like you are trying to misrepresent me to deflect attention from the substantive point.

I suspect I probably know more about the London trade than you know about the provincial one, however, even though I admit that I'm far from being an 'expert' on London.

By the way, what's the gossip on MP Clive Efford, who claims to be an ex-London driver, but doesn't really seem that knowledgeable about the trade at all, never mind the provincial side?

he knows all about the London trade because he picked up a lady from a London trade

she then gave a £1 tip so it must have been right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahhhhh such sweet memories we had fun on the forums in them days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:08 am 

I think what Yorkie's trying to say is that once I picked up a lady who had once been picked up by a London taxi driver, and she gave me a modest tip - it was only 5% or so.

He's been obsessed with it ever since :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:09 am 

Yorkie wrote:
[ahhhhh such sweet memories we had fun on the forums in them days.

Yes, it was even worse than now ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:10 am 
Dusty this site has broke into fun but you cannot see it

wor Mick is a lively lad, its best when he tries to impress by saying hes put plate values up, :lol: :lol: :lol: in Gateshead what has to be done next to get cabs to cover demand wiping out these plate values? :lol: :lol: :lol:

pay the furkers to put cabs on? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 pm 

TDO wrote:
I merely made a remark that was heavily qualified by the words 'I suspect',

I suspect I probably know more about the London trade than you know about the provincial one, however, even though I admit that I'm far from being an 'expert' on London.

You 'suspect' too much, give me some facts and figures to back your suspicions up, and you still havent revealed to us where you are a Taxi driver, my suspicions are growing deeper.

In fact I may begin to 'suspect' you 'drive' a Taxi from a desk, whilst reading books with long words in them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:57 pm 

TDO wrote:
You don't say whether he is a plate holder or not, in which case you perhaps didn't appreciate the substantive point I was making.

By the way, what do you mean by 'just fine'?

I mean just that, his takings match mine and he works in a restricted plate area where he rents a TX.

I own a Fairway, which is close to retirement, and then like him I will go back to renting.

He pays about £40 more per week than I will, so the point was there is not a great difference between the 'unrestricted' London (apart from a small matter of 3 years doing the knowledge in your own time and 3 yrs of lost earnings) and a restricted area like Edinburgh (12 weeks to get license and £25,000 for a plate, oh that equates to almost 3 years lost earnings whilst on the knowledge?)

And you both still have to buy an LTI vehicle, kinda works out does'nt it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:45 pm 
COMMITMENT IS THE WORD................MR T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:08 pm 

MR T wrote:
COMMITMENT IS THE WORD................MR T

Commitment to what?

Those that support quotas are the last ones that should be spouting words like commitment.

What commitment does someone with loads of money have, that buys up all the plates, yet never drives one?

What commitment has a driver that sells his plate the moment he gets it?

Buying a plate is a commitment to keeping others out, a commitment to queue jump those on the waiting list, a commitment to tell other drivers when they should work and what rent they should pay.

Thank goodness it all going to change. If not all now, but all in a few years time. Then we will see those that are really committed to the trade, not just those that pretend to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:32 pm 
Sussex

its a fact, but in the world of cartels and dirty dealing, the english language becomes abused.

The codfathers in the Tand G Brighton division, believe or say they believe that giving thirty grand for a plate demonstrates commitment.

when Scanner said this I thought he was taking the [edited by admin], but no he was serious, deadly serious, they get the taxi, the plate, privelaged positions in choice ranks, inflated fares, in return for this "commitment"

they should hang their heads in shame, especialy when they look at me, hound me from my union, call me traitor, for saying that this is rubbish.

Sussex, next time you wanna Jockey, ask him for ten grand to show his comitment to you at your firm.

and lets see what you are called by Mick.

it was my new year resolution to be nice to him, but by God what a Hypocrite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:46 pm 
SUSSEX. For 30 years i have been in trade and seen the likes of you come and go,year in year out ,

always left to pick up the pieces when you go. P.S.

every M.P i have ever spoken to says the same thing, that deregulation does not work in transport ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:58 pm 

MR T wrote:
every M.P i have ever spoken to says the same thing, that deregulation does not work in transport ,

Funny but I never mentioned deregulation. :? Still it makes for good scare-mongering. :sad:

As for MPs, well I will let you into a little secret, they will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Each and every time.

But I must admit, I'm quite a fan of the new Transport Minister. Now what did she say?

Oh yeah, "is it really right to bar those who meet the application criteria and want to run their own taxi service?". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:00 pm 

MR T wrote:
SUSSEX. For 30 years i have been in trade and seen the likes of you come and go,year in year out.

How much did you pay for your plate then?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next