Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:04 pm 

Denis Conyon of the NTA wrote:
I think there is a range in value. What the OFT report does not show is how many are worth £50,000 and how many are worth £7,500, as my colleague said. I have no facts whatsoever on the cost.

In fact I'm sure Mr Conyon knew fine about the facts on cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:30 pm 
Yorkie wrote:
Certainly,
the whole country is split into regions, and the North Eastern region is run from Newcastle.

The membership is apponted from district councils, (like Gateshead) buisness, and trades unions.

what the people from your region was voting for, was to replace those unelected people with elected ones.

wasnt very clear was it? you could have been fooled for missing the "elected " bit?

Mick pick up that phone now ring your local councillor, or ask at the T and G and ask whats going on.

Yorkie, I don't know what your on about, I have spoken to my local councellor and he said "Gateshead Council make decisions about what happens in Gateshead, we have no requirement to check with any regional group before we make a decision, providing the decision we make is within the law, our sole intention is to act within the best interests of the people of Gateshead".

Is he winding me up at best or lying to me at worst, cause he didn't sound like he was doing either.

Maybe I just asked the wrong questions.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:20 pm 

I think Mr Yorkie means something like this up your way.

http://www.onenortheast.co.uk/page/index.cfm

None of them elected, but nothing big in your manor happens without going through them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:47 pm 
Thank you Sussex
I am astounded by Micks reply from his councillor, cant believe they dont admit it exists!

well Gateshead members are councillors I Mearns and MF Henry

perhaps the little councillor ought to ask them and report back Mick

the whole of europe is now in Regions, the north east vote Mick only gauranteed one thing, that you dont get your say.

your councillor has the vote!

but bugger me he does not know its existance.

its shamefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:20 pm 

JD,

Quote:
On the contrary, it is a most valid point even though it might be unpalatable to some? Because it wasn't me who said, "Councils know best" it was the NTA.

This is still the case, LA's are in the best position to decide, not national government.

Quote:
Why should you concern yourself with what LA's do? You are on record as saying LA's know best. Have you now had a change of mind about that concept? If you felt LA's were not doing things right you could have have written to them explaining your concerns and perhaps tell them why they are not doing it right.

The NTA is against issuing licences, it said so comprehensively at the Select committee hearing and Mr Conyon is on Record as saying it on several other occasions to, so don't try and mislead us into thinking that the NTA are not concerned about councils delimiting because they are.

The NTA can dress this statement up anyway they want but it still comes out reading the same.

The NTA are concerned when you get an LA like the one in essex and the one in Merseyside, neither of which have given any consideration to the issue of delimitation or regulation outside of the cost of a survey.

Both came to their own differing conclusions, both dont seem that credible.

Quote:
I'm not giving myself anything of the sort. I'm pointing out that no organisation can now say that 45 or 50% of the Taxi trade is regulated.

We like to see the facts don't we?

Didn't we read in a certain Trade Mag only two months ago that 45 or 50% of the trade was regulated? Well now, they all know a little different don't they? If it weren't for this site highlighting the fact that there are only 35.5% of Authorities with a current policy of regulation, the NTA would probably be non the wiser and perhaps might not have even written their statement.

Yes, but was that ever a point in the first place? In view of the number of regulated and delimited councils.

Quote:
the NTA would probably be non the wiser and perhaps might not have even written their statement.

lol JD that is an assertion :wink:

Quote:
I don't think anything of the sort about the NTA, in fact I think they are perhaps the most sober organisation the hackney carriage trade has. However, it wasn't me who said, "Councils know best" it was the NTA.

Therefore, for the NTA to criticise the democratic way in which councils do business, when it doesn't entirely work out as they planned, is a little rich don't you think?

lol JD, I will ensure an application form is sent out to you, I can foresee a quick rise through the ranks. :wink:

The NTA are not critisising anyone, they are making a statement of concern. :wink:

Quote:
My credentials are not the topic of discussion, I lead from the front and you can judge me by what I produce not what I might write in a magazine. As for plates I comment on lies and misinformation, I leave the politics of restricting plates to organisations that work for vested interests such as the NTA and others. It matters not to me who gets what but what does matter to me is the Truth.

I apologise, I shouldnt have asked the question.

I dont think the NTA have lied about anything though.

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:54 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Premiums are not ideal and were not instigated by the plateholders, they were instigated by people who wanted one and were willing to pay, in some areas quite substancially for the plate.

I suspect that the reason buyers are willing to pay is that they can't get a plate on the same terms from LAs as existing plates.

If sellers didnt' instigate premiums then why don't they just hand their plates back to the council when they had finished with them?

Your claim is similar to a price-fixing cartel saying that the prices were instigated by the buyers because they paid the price asked!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:59 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
I was recently approached by someone wanting to buy my motorbike, I told him it wasn't for sale and he increased his offer by £500, I again told him it wasn't for sale the price he offered was double what I had paid for the thing, would I have been wrong to sell, knowing that he could have bought a bike of the same model, bought the extra parts I had bought, had them fitted so that the two bikes were identical for less than he'd offered me for mine, the point is that he didn't want to wait for the work to be done, he wanted one and he wanted one now.

This is a taxi forum, not a motorbike one :wink:

Or are you making a point relevant to the topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:24 pm 

Quote:
Premiums are not ideal and were not instigated by the plateholders, they were instigated by people who wanted one and were willing to pay, in some areas quite substancially for the plate.

So obviously the innocent plateholder decided upon retirement or leaving the trade to give the plate away. :shock:

Or was it more to do with greed? :shock:

or was it more to do with getting the money back he forked out initially? :wink:

your right there not ideal, there also not defendable.

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 am 
captain cab wrote:
Quote:

So obviously the innocent plateholder decided upon retirement or leaving the trade to give the plate away. :shock:

Or was it more to do with greed? :shock:

or was it more to do with getting the money back he forked out initially? :wink:

your right there not ideal, there also not defendable.

Regards

Captain cab

Sorry but cannot see the point being made here, it matters not how it started but how it developed, frankly now policy is made not on public interest but on premiums.

and that cannot be allowed to continue,

Halifax there is a culture of fear around the taxis, and plate values that cannot be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:27 pm 

Quote:
frankly now policy is made not on public interest but on premiums.

and that cannot be allowed to continue,

I agree with you

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:36 am 
Nige
has the Mansfield trade made any changes to the way they work since deregulation?

or is it off rank back to rank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:36 am 
Nige
has the Mansfield trade made any changes to the way they work since deregulation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:40 am 

Yorkie,

you got indigestion, your repeating yourself, try a rennie.

hehe

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:10 am 
Yorkie wrote:
Nige

I think they would have seen a greater effect on the trade since their fare hike Yorkie.

Of course they are making changes, he has reported that 2 drivers joined a radio circuit.

The thing is Yorkie, if people think they can't afford taxis they won't use them, whether they are available or not.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:43 pm 
Yorkie wrote:
Nige

Yes Geoff, since the price increase our daytime trade has dropped 30% nightime I'd say a good 40%. Take into account the extra cars that have come on and I'd say a little more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next