Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:19 pm 
I think its time to take a review, during discussions peoples views change as they learn more about whats happening in other areas.
I think it would be a good idea for everyone to clarify their viewpoints within this board then start a new topic to discuss any issues raised.

I hold both badges in Gateshead, I occasionally drive some of my friends vehicles to, 1/ make a bit extra cash, 2/ keep up with "the crack". Some of my friends are PH operators others are HC owner drivers.

Gateshead derestricted in 1997 following a legal challenge to the councils decision to only allow 10 WAV plates following an unmet demand survey which showed the 87 saloon plates were meeting demand.

At first take up of the WAV plates was slow, 5 years after derestriction only 90 new plates had been issued, the plate numbers had doubled but we had a new nightclub (the busiest in the Newcastle/Gateshead Quayside area) so we were all able to make a good living. The "new" HC drivers had come from the PH trade however PH numbers in the area had continued to rise, so we had the right number of HC vehicles as well as the right number of PH. People still had to wait for either service at the busy times but during the quiet times enough cars were working either code to provide an immediate service.

Now we still have PH vehicle numbers rising, nearly 600 PH vehicles are now licensed by the borough, HC numbers have dramatically risen with nearly 300 now being licensed. Over 80% of new HC drivers now enter the trade as a HC owner driver, most drivers handing HC plates back return to PH.

When I hear of other areas only licensing 30 - 50 HC, and I hear the drivers in these areas complaining, I don't agree.
When I hear of areas where the majority of plateholders don't drive themselves, I don't agree.

But how do we ensure that provision matches demand, to much provision lessens the take for the drivers as does to less, only the right amount will deliver drivers with a bigger take.

We need to properly assess the situation in each area, in some derestriction may be the only way to get the right amount of HC's on the streets but in others different tactics should be used.

Its OK for some to call for equality, but how do we deliver it. There is nothing equal in forming policies which exclude the majority of people who cannot enter the trade because of financial restraints, this only allows those with the finances to further exploit the people who want to drive HC but can't afford or finance either their own plate or their own vehicle. Maybe the people who can afford either are the ones shouting for plates for themselves, derestriction may well deliver some equality to them but it doesn't deliver equal entry to everyone, to be honest though nothing will.

I don't claim to have a magic wand, I don't claim that what we are asking Gateshead Council to do would benefit other people in different areas, our situation is now precarious, the trade is not been given the opportunities to make money. We are losing rank space to accomodate disabled parking in many of the local shopping areas and in most NO ranks are available for either us or the public to use, the Metrocentre for example has seen HC vehicles excluded, they even try to enforce Civil Penalties if HC wait to long for their prebooked passengers. In the more rural areas no HC service is available at all, but thats because the council don't designate ranks as much as its because people don't work there.

The bottom line is the more successful PH operators have cornered the PH market and see the independant HC as a threat to their chances of cornering another market, by putting on more and more HC vehicles they are attempting to corner that market as well by forcing HC owner drivers to work their circuit due to their independant take dropping.

There is nothing equal about forcing drivers to do anything, we the drivers should hold the power but we are losing to much power, one of the most disturbing things I have heard recently was the PH operator who claimed he sent drivers into potentially dangerous areas to pick up, and if they didn't he wouldn't give them work for an hour. It is this kind of thing we should be fighting against as these are the people who have the financial clout to take over the whole industry in every area accross the country.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:22 pm 

I'm a licensed PH owner-driver, and have been for too many years. I look forward to the day when I'm a license HC owner-driver. I can afford to buy a plate, but wont, I can afford to buy a WAV, and will.

I think that if a driver meets whatever criteria a council sets, then they should be given a HC plate, if they so wish. If they wish to carry on as a PH owner, or as a HC jockey, then good luck to them. But let it be their choice, no-one else's.

I believe there are some very good operators, and some crap ones. The good ones treat drivers with respect, divvy out the work fairly, and are a credit to the trade. The others don't, and the trade are best rid of them.

Some councils are also a credit, but too many are a disgrace. The bad ones are led by gutless thick councillors that haven't got a clue about our trade. There are also many very very good licensing officers, who do a great job under trying conditions. Alas there are also some that treat drivers like s***.

All that aside, I think this trade has a great future, and if we could all get this quota/de-limit issue out of the way, then we could really be a force.

But until then, we basically get what we deserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:52 pm 

I am in the people moving business.

I like to move nice people in comfort and style.

The opinions that matter, my customers, don't give a toss about the difference between Hacks and PH. In fact I spend most of the day trying to persuade corporates that 'posh' cars actually need licencing at all.

I have an inkling, or should I say hunch that where the market is restricted it allows people earning a living from the trade to be less 'customer focussed'.

I believe that having an operator owning the cars and having control over the drivers by employing them enables that operator, if he isn't an idiot (and many are) to offer a superior more reliable service to a free for all of indies and circuit bandits (you know those who change circuit every few months).

It isn't as 'tax efficient' as self employed but it certainly creates consistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:08 am 
Iam a licensed taxi operator (with the Traffic Commission) and I run 2 fleets, one at pod demand under the customers control at metered fares

and an experimental fleet running taxis where the fare paid is per passenger, this fleet I run in partnership with and on behalf of constituent councils, and a passenger transport authority.

both fleets are licensed for both pod fare and single fare payment.

I believe we are seeing a see change, in public transport, and taxi provision, the younger age groups are getting smaller, and the older groups are getting bigger, we need to revaluate service provision and modes of delivery.

the older customer puts quality of service over price for the service delivery, also they look to different areas for living life and entertainment, not to mention health care provision.

in order to deliver viable services we now negotiate with venues to ensure delivery can be done profitably, so we see doctors about provision of clinics and on what days and times, an example of this is where in a rural town we succesfully negotiated for a mother and baby clinic held on thursdays the same as market days, so the transport could be attractive and provided at low cost

life is changing and a taxi on rank is a wasted resource, we are doing all we can to cut out that waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:25 am 

"In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

about sums me up really :shock:

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:39 am 

I think my views are best sumed up by this piece some good looking chap complied a little while ago. :wink:

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/dream.htm

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:24 am 

Aside from what I have stated above.

I think the trade should be regulated, but regulated through standards.
High standards of entry should be in place for both the driver and vehicle.
In respect of the driver this should include driving test as set by the DSA, a local knowledge test both topographical and of the conditions of license.
In respect of the vehicle, a minimum standard of age and perhaps suitable type to perform the job. I would also wish to see a maximum age on vehicles.

In all respects the local authority should regularly review and consult with the trade on all aspects of licensing.

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:20 pm 

At least we agree on something :wink: