Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:38 pm 

The council has recently completed a survey and decided for the moment that there is no unmet demand. They have however decided to put a further 6 hackney plates on, all of which need to be WAV M1 spec and brand new, the brand new bit is being questioned by the hackney association.

What i would be intereste din, is where derestriction has occured what problems has it created.

Derek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:38 pm 
derek hendry wrote:
The council has recently completed a survey and decided for the moment that there is no unmet demand. They have however decided to put a further 6 hackney plates on, all of which need to be WAV M1 spec and brand new, the brand new bit is being questioned by the hackney association.

What i would be intereste din, is where derestriction has occured what problems has it created.

Derek

We have de-restcricted in Mansfield and it's caused no end of problems, the main one being is there is not enough space for all the cars, secondly there is not enough work to go round, thirdly we are working more hours for less money. It's simple really put more cars on and the standards drop. Up to yet 5 drivers have sent their WAV's back to the finance companies because they can't make it pay and there are many more waiting to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:16 pm 

I understand North Tyneside has also retaken control of issuing licenses.

Nidge,

Whilst I agree with your statement, I would doubt that a finance company would be willing to take back the goods as easy. Repossession perhaps, but theres surely an additional financial penalty?

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:10 pm 
Pop along to Gateshead and have a look, get out and talk to some of the drivers.

Or email me gateshead.angel@virgin.net

B. Lucky :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:16 pm 

derek hendry wrote:

Do you know what justification they have given for keeping quotas, and what specific case have they made that it is not in the interest of consumers for market entry to be refused for those that meet the application criteria? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:26 pm 
Sussex wrote:
derek hendry wrote:

Do you know what justification they have given for keeping quotas, and what specific case have they made that it is not in the interest of consumers for market entry to be refused for those that meet the application criteria? :wink:

As the government said Sussex, they remain best placed to make that decision.

Maybe your solicitor mate will be on the phone to South Tyneside on Monday morning.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:38 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
As the government said Sussex, they remain best placed to make that decision.

Providing they publish what justification they have given for keeping quotas, and what specific case have they made that it is not in the interest of consumers for market entry to be refused for those that meet the application criteria?

Did you not read the government's statement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:45 pm 
You see Sussex this is where you let yourself down mate,

No-one is barred from entering the trade, there has never been a restriction on the number of drivers licenses.

You couldn't give a stuff about the consumer, by your own admission you wouldn't necessarily change the way you work even if you had a HC plate, so where is the "extra" service to the consumer.

The fact of the matter is that your riding on the back of the consumer to obtain what you require, and you hate it when this shortcoming is pointed out to you, I don't see why you just don't tell the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
You see Sussex this is where you let yourself down mate.

I asked Derek a question, and I await his answer.

You by your actions have shown yourself to be a fool, so when the evidence of your imaginary conspiracy arrives, I will gladly answer any of your questions or observations.

Until then I will ignore you and the grass. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:00 pm 
Sussex wrote:
You by your actions have shown yourself to be a fool,

What actions are those then Sussex, disagreeing with your crusade or asking questions about the motives of the person in question and possibly this site.

Sussex wrote:
so when the evidence of your imaginary conspiracy arrives, I will gladly answer any of your questions or observations.

The grass, who exactly is that then, I'm sorry Sussex but by your constant referals to Nidge in this manner its possibly safe to assume that information he has posted was indeed true and your aggressive stance on the matter would suggest that you didn't want people to know about the information he obtained and posted.

Thanks for the extra confirmation, it will be passed on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:06 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
You see Sussex this is where you let yourself down mate.

I asked Derek a question, and I await his answer.

You by your actions have shown yourself to be a fool, so when the evidence of your imaginary conspiracy arrives, I will gladly answer any of your questions or observations.

sussex. temper ..temper ..surely by now you are used to people laughing at you.......mr T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:10 pm 

MR T wrote:
sussex. temper ..temper ..surely by now you are used to people laughing at you.......mr T

Oh I don't mind Mr T, I would much rather they laughed than cried. :wink:

However there must come a time when one has to ask some to front up or do the alternative. I very much look forward to seeing this mythical whatever it is.

I wonder what will come first, the mythical WEIT (saves typing :wink: ) or the T&G's Mythical National Cab Act. :-k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:12 am 

Sussex wrote:
derek hendry wrote:

We have not seen how they have drawn their conclusions, we just know what they found and what they are doing.

South Shields is the main drinking town and this has gone down hill over the last few years, people are tending to go to the two surrounding cities, so i guess they know that putting extra taxis on the road would create severe financial dificulties for all, simply put we are just not that busy.

I am not familiar with the governments proposals, but i assume they leave the decision to the council on whether to deregulate or not.

As i said before they did a survey of the taxis and waiting times for customers, they obviously have decided that no further increase of taxis is required because generally demand is being met. There is always going to be a problem in peak times but they also know that increasing the number of taxis to cope for this leads to problems during the week.

I work the streets and mainly scrap about for work apart from on the friday and saturday nights and even they are not that busy. But you need the extra money taken then to balance your money. During the week we wait on average 30 minutres to an hour for a job, sometimes a lot longer, if that job is £2.50 and its took you an hour to get to the front, thats all you have made, you need the weekend to boost your takings. The council must have took this into account. during the week we also suffer from too many cars and not enough spaces with trafic wardens moving us, the council knows this as well, by opening the flood gates they would have even more chaos.

If they did deregulate then i could not just work the streets, i would have to try and work for an office, the offices would have more cars so they too would be affected, its a no win situation for everyone involved and ultimately, it still would not make any diference to the queues at the weekend.

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:16 am 
Derek

The owners of this site do not understand why you should have a plate to conduct your business the way you do, when others who don't have a plate have to conduct their business via a PH operator. They see your business as "unfair" and want derestriction to allow people like them access to a plate if they want one.
They don't care about through the week, they don't care about consumer issues, they don't care about the HC drivers nor do they care about the PH operations.

They only care about themselves, and anyone who gets in their way or disagrees with their intentions is branded a fool or a liar or a grass.

I wish more councils would look at their HC trade and properly evaluate what consumers in their area require, then look to provide it. These people aren't interested in ANY evaluation or investigation, they just want everyone to have a HC plate and thats only because they want one themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:51 am 

Presuming the local authority has followed the criteria laid down by the DFT, then I cannot foresee a problem.

Justification of policy is all the trade can ask for.

regards

Captain cab