Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxi limit to be imposed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:32 pm 

Taxi limit to be imposed

COUNCIL bosses have agreed to impose a limit on the number of Hackney carriage taxi drivers in Chesterfield after complaints from cabbies.

Drivers said rising competition was leading to fewer fares, forcing them to work longer hours and encouraging poor conduct.

Chesterfield Borough Council commissioned a survey which identified there was not a significant demand from people wanting the black cabs and last month it agreed to impose a limit of 110 Hackney Carriage licences.

David Hopton, of Chesterfield Hackney Owners and Drivers Association, said: “This was a momentous day when the council agreed with the Hackney trade that too many licence plates had been issued leaving the town flooded with taxis.

“People in this area have been let down badly by the council and I would implore them to listen to the public, their complaints and suggestions and act on them.”

The council stated it decided in 1995 not to limit the number but insisted all Hackneys be wheel-chair accessible and a 2003 Office of Fair Trading investigation concluded limits were not in the interests of consumers.

The former Government advised against limits, according to the council, unless a local authority could show there was “no unmet demand” which amounted to showing a significantly reduced number of people wanting taxis.

The Association complained increased numbers of Hackney Carriage licences were forcing some drivers to work longer, quote over-inflated fares and take customers on longer routes.

The council has now decided to impose a 110 limit but the existing 178 licenses will only be reduced when holders choose not to renew them.

It said it had not issued too many Hackney Carriage licences and the number would not have risen to 178 unless there was sufficient work, but after the survey identified a reduced demand, decided to impose a limit.

A council spokesman said: “The council could have imposed a limit of 178 but members felt we should use the Office of Fair Trading’s suggested ratio as the basis for imposing a limit of 110.”

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/local/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:58 pm 

captain cab wrote:
A council spokesman said: “The council could have imposed a limit of 178 but members felt we should use the Office of Fair Trading’s suggested ratio as the basis for imposing a limit of 110.”

And the point of that is? :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 pm 

captain cab wrote:
The Association complained increased numbers of Hackney Carriage licences were forcing some drivers to work longer, quote over-inflated fares and take customers on longer routes.

:roll:

Quote:
The council has now decided to impose a 110 limit but the existing 178 licenses will only be reduced when holders choose not to renew them.

Thus the chances of actually getting to 110 are nil. ](*,)

Quote:

WTF's that? #-o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 pm 

Caledonian Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:

:roll:

Quote:

Thus the chances of actually getting to 110 are nil. ](*,)

Quote:

WTF's that? #-o

pmsl

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:32 am 

Someone explain to me whats so wrong with restriction then ! How many other areas are in this same situation ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:34 am 

blackpool wrote:
Someone explain to me whats so wrong with restriction then ! How many other areas are in this same situation ?

I don't disagree with survey driven regulation.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am 

But is that a minority view ? I dont get the big deal its always worked here in blackpool,probally less need for any more hc plates in the last 5 to 10 years than ever.Last survey actually mentioned being too many as its a seasonal sort of place and they did survey in peak season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am 

But is that a minority view ? I dont get the big deal its always worked here in blackpool,probally less need for any more hc plates in the last 5 to 10 years than ever.Last survey actually mentioned being too many as its a seasonal sort of place and they did survey in peak season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 am 

blackpool wrote:

I dont think the majority of people on here have a real issue with Blackpool's survey driven regulation, they have an issue with a £50K plate and a £50 vehicle attached to it.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:15 am 

you show me a fifty grand plate or a fifty grand vehicle if you can ? No didnt think so..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 am 

blackpool wrote:
you show me a fifty grand plate or a fifty grand vehicle if you can ? No didnt think so..

Why the attitude?

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/files/platevalues.pdf

Blackpool. £45,000

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:38 am 

Those are 2008 figures. Anything more up to date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:41 am 

blackpool wrote:

Certainly not in Blackpool :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:47 am 

cabbyman wrote:

No, I dont think anyone took up JD's mantle.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:52 am 

captain cab wrote:
cabbyman wrote:

No, I dont think anyone took up JD's mantle.

CC

Perhaps Mr Blackpool could, er, hazard a wild guess?

I would estimate £35,000 at least :D