Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:08 am 

Caledonian Cabbie wrote:
echo15 wrote:
Quote:
Boo hoo - another profiteer crying into his pillow at night

Isn't the whole point of being in business to make a profit? :?

But what's that got to do with anything?

prof·it·eer /ˌpräfəˈti(ə)r/
Verb: Make or seek to make an excessive or unfair profit, esp. illegally or in a black market.
Noun: A person who profiteers.

The selling of plates definately comes under the profiteer label, but, is the profit made by taxis in restricted areas excessive or unfair?

I think if you look at the cost of rental for businesses in town centres you'll think they are excessive, but, they know they'll get their price because the big stores need to be in the town centres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 am 

toots wrote:
The selling of plates definately comes under the profiteer label, but, is the profit made by taxis in restricted areas excessive or unfair?

Well that part of the profit that's excessive is - that's why they call it 'excess profits'. And the capital value of the excess profits is the sale value of the plate.

If someone in York is hiring out a plate for £150 then isn't that a clear case of excess profits? If they attach it to a car and rent them both out for £300 then they'd they're still making at least £150 a week in excess profits.

And to buy this right to excess profits of £150 a week will cost you £30-£40k or so, ie the price of a plate.

Quote:
I think if you look at the cost of rental for businesses in town centres you'll think they are excessive, but, they know they'll get their price because the big stores need to be in the town centres

Yes, and a tatty old car is less valuable than a brand new Merc, but that's got FA to do with restricted numbers. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:03 am 

And would the person who has the plate not made a investment ? Maybe a lucky few who got them first originally.Its a buisness you buy into,if you dont like it dont buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:03 am 

And would the person who has the plate not made a investment ? Maybe a lucky few who got them first originally.Its a buisness you buy into,if you dont like it dont buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:11 am 

blackpool wrote:

Well if it is a 'business' then what's the problem with derestriction #-o

By the way, posting everything twice might irritate others, but it won't help you get your argument across :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:22 am 

blackpool wrote:

Well, you should be aware of the words of Sir Christopher Bellamy QC in Royden where at 136 he stated;

In those circumstances, it seems to me, anyone acquiring a hackney carriage vehicle in the Wirral, at any rate after 1985, must be taken in law to have done so in the knowledge that a policy of "de-restriction" might come into effect at some future date, whatever the state of the demand. In those circumstances it seems to me that there could be no reasonable or legitimate, expectation that the "premium value" of the licence would be maintained. Those that paid such a premium (and I have no specific evidence about that) in my view made a business judgment about whether the premium was worth paying, and took a business risk. Those, like Mr Royden himself, who paid no premium, have simply lost the possibility of a future "windfall". In my view in law Mr Royden could not, after 1999, have reasonably or legitimately expected that this "windfall" was protected against the possibility of "de-restriction" under the Act of 1847 as amended.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:23 am 

blackpool wrote:

ahh, and as a BUSINESS id expect all incomes to be declared.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:34 pm 

ahh, and as a BUSINESS id expect all incomes to be declared.....[/quote]

As in selling it and paying capital gains or as in working and paying tax ? The rest of it i already know,which begs the question why do they restrict then ?Maybe the answer is it works we dont need anymore licences given out,believe me theres no fortunes to be earned !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:35 pm 

Caledonian Cabbie wrote:
blackpool wrote:

Well if it is a 'business' then what's the problem with derestriction #-o

By the way, posting everything twice might irritate others, but it won't help you get your argument across :lol:[/quote

Maybe you irritate me without posting twice :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 pm 

blackpool wrote:
ahh, and as a BUSINESS id expect all incomes to be declared.....

Quote:
As in selling it and paying capital gains or as in working and paying tax ? The rest of it i already know,which begs the question why do they restrict then ?Maybe the answer is it works we dont need anymore licences given out,believe me theres no fortunes to be earned !

if the person who took the plate out originally is done with taxi driving the council should request it back and plate the next applicant on the waiting list, its easy done, the LA could implement regs stipulating all plate "owners" (which they arent really as you never OWN a plate) should own the vehicle the plate resides on and be insured+badged to drive it or be a business partner of the owner (regd with HMRC) or a director if it should be a LTD company

LAs could restrict the useage/black market in hack plates without restricting the numbers

i take it you rent a plate blackpool?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:15 pm 

blackpool wrote:

I dare say you would find anyone who doesn't agree with you, or wants to p*ss in your pond, irritating, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:10 pm 

gusmac wrote:
blackpool wrote:

I dare say you would find anyone who doesn't agree with you, or wants to p*ss in your pond, irritating, :wink:

Not really you dont irritate me cause your insignificant to me :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 pm 

Wanabee i know what you mean,and agree on a few points but thats the way it is.The majority of people who own plates drive the vehicle as a buisness themselves and employ drivers or else put a vehicle on and employ day and night drivers.There is a few that rent the plates out is this what you dont like ? If it is i wont mention it again ok :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:24 pm 

One more thing whilst im at it,double posts,not quoting properly and anything else that annoys people.Im a cab driver not bill fecking gates ! I dont really care like it or lump it.Was going to post this twice but ill try and be nice....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:35 pm 

blackpool wrote:
One more thing whilst im at it,double posts,not quoting properly and anything else that annoys people.Im a cab driver not bill fecking gates !..

We're all cab drivers and neither are any of us Bill Gates, yet everyone else but you seems to manage to post ok.

Just click 'preview' before you submit your post, if it doesn't look right go back and figure out where you've gone wrong and try again. You'll soon get the hang of it. If you have any problems just ask, we'll gladly help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next