Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:22 pm 

I am a member of the newly formed York Private Hire Association. Our local council has asked us to give our views on how de-regulation may affect private hire and the companies operating it. This has to be with them within two weeks of course !! Is anyone out there willing to give me any experiences, good and bad, in cities or towns who have already de-regulated please?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:29 pm 
yorkscot wrote:
I am a member of the newly formed York Private Hire Association. Our local council has asked us to give our views on how de-regulation may affect private hire and the companies operating it. This has to be with them within two weeks of course !! Is anyone out there willing to give me any experiences, good and bad, in cities or towns who have already de-regulated please?

Bad bad bad listen to the real drivers not the solicitors on here, they are only doing it for the consultancy fee.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:31 pm 

yorkscot wrote:

Welcome to the forum YS.

For a PH driver you can't lose, because at the moment you do nil rank jobs, and nil path jobs. Thus if your council de-limited, then you could only increase your workload.

A number of members on here will say its the end of the world, for them it might be, but for non taxi plate-holders like yourself and the taxi jockeys, it gives you the power to decide for yourself what you want to do.

Not have to rely on getting the scraps that no other bugger wants.

You could do a lot worse than print off and read M&R, it will allow you and your association to rebuff the scare and doom mongers that will beg for the status-quo to remain.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/reality.doc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:39 pm 

yorkscot wrote:

Would your views be from a Private hire Driver perspective, or that of a Private hire operator?

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:45 pm 
Sussex wrote:
yorkscot wrote:

Welcome to the forum YS.

For a PH driver you can't lose, because at the moment you do nil rank jobs, and nil path jobs. Thus if your council de-limited, then you could only increase your workload.

A number of members on here will say its the end of the world, for them it might be, but for non taxi plate-holders like yourself and the taxi jockeys, it gives you the power to decide for yourself what you want to do.

Not have to rely on getting the scraps that no other bugger wants.

You could do a lot worse than print off and read M&R, it will allow you and your association to rebuff the scare and doom mongers that will beg for the status-quo to remain.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/reality.doc

Never read so much bollox in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:46 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Never read so much bollox in my life.

Apart from your monthly edition of CTN. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:56 pm 

Same old story in the US.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/su ... 087542.htm

Not so sure about the last sentence. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:31 pm 

What about the line:

Mayor Mark McBride also voted against each permit, saying he didn't have enough time to consider the information.

I think that's symptomatic of how the trade is run in many locations.

But to be naive enough to actually say that is even worse.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:32 pm 

Thanks guy but no one has actually come up with any hard facts or actual experiences. Anyone out there can ??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:50 pm 

yorkscot wrote:
Thanks guy but no one has actually come up with any hard facts or actual experiences. Anyone out there can ??

I'm afraid it will be a struggle, because those that wish to keep restrictions say it will be the end of the world, and those that wish to see the end of restrictions say the opposite.

On here we have people who have experienced de-restriction, and they are not great fans. We also have people who have always been de-restricted, and they can't see what's the problem.

Perhaps you should give us your views, as they stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:19 pm 

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT,THE PH WANTS THE HC PLATE,THE HC WANTS TO KEEP THE STATUS QUO.
IN DUNDEE THEY OPENED THE LIST FOR ANYONE TO RECEIVE A HC LICENSE,AND ALTHOUGH ONLY A FEW PLATES HAVE BEEN THROWN IN,THE PRIVATE HIRE PLATES HAVE DROPPED DRAMATICALLY AND THE HACKNEY PLATES HAVE RISEN DRAMATICALLY,TO THE EXTENT THAT EARNING A DECENT LIVING IS NOW A STRUGGLE.
RANKS OVERFLOWING,CABBIES WORKING OVER 12 HOURS PER DAY,MAJORITY DOING A SIX DAY WEEK.
TO GET THE HACKNEY LICENSE,THE DOBLOS HAVE APPEARED,ALTHOUGH A FEW TX11,SOME E7,s AND THE TERRIBLE EUROBUS.
THE OVER PRICED WAVS OPERATORS,NOW FINDING IT HARD TO PAY THEIR WAY AND ENVISIAGE A FEW UPLIFTS WITHIN A FEW MONTHS.
TRADE VERY HARD,BUT HEAD DOWN AND KEEP WORKING.
:cry: :cry: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:22 am 
yorkscot wrote:

we have deregultaed councisl all around us and the quality of vehicle is no different from us.
So they must have the work to pay for the quality.
If not then go and work on a building site.
Noone owes us a living.
All the time we feel that we are our own worst enemys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:02 pm 

paul wrote:
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT,THE PH WANTS THE HC PLATE,THE HC WANTS TO KEEP THE STATUS QUO.
IN DUNDEE THEY OPENED THE LIST FOR ANYONE TO RECEIVE A HC LICENSE,AND ALTHOUGH ONLY A FEW PLATES HAVE BEEN THROWN IN,THE PRIVATE HIRE PLATES HAVE DROPPED DRAMATICALLY AND THE HACKNEY PLATES HAVE RISEN DRAMATICALLY,TO THE EXTENT THAT EARNING A DECENT LIVING IS NOW A STRUGGLE.
RANKS OVERFLOWING,CABBIES WORKING OVER 12 HOURS PER DAY,MAJORITY DOING A SIX DAY WEEK.
TO GET THE HACKNEY LICENSE,THE DOBLOS HAVE APPEARED,ALTHOUGH A FEW TX11,SOME E7,s AND THE TERRIBLE EUROBUS.
THE OVER PRICED WAVS OPERATORS,NOW FINDING IT HARD TO PAY THEIR WAY AND ENVISIAGE A FEW UPLIFTS WITHIN A FEW MONTHS.

As you say Paul the new plates are just swaps for PH in the main, and the number of drivers hasn't changed, so the main change is that some of the former PH now have access to the ranks, so if some are worse off then presumably some will be better off, and theres a level playing field.

At a rough guess most of the drivers are part-time, so I doubt if the majority are doing six days a week.

When on one could get a yellow plate the offices had no problem taking on white plates, meaning more yellows on the ranks, but the same people were wailing about the number of cars in the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:47 pm 

The Dundonian wrote:
paul wrote:

As you say Paul the new plates are just swaps for PH in the main, and the number of drivers hasn't changed, so the main change is that some of the former PH now have access to the ranks, so if some are worse off then presumably some will be better off, and theres a level playing field.

Thats about the top and bottom of it. Winners and losers, or a level playing field as you put it.

Regards

JD