Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Choices ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:57 am 
Sussex wrote:
I'm a licensed PH owner-driver, and have been for too many years. I look forward to the day when I'm a license HC owner-driver. I can afford to buy a plate, but wont, I can afford to buy a WAV, and will.

I think that if a driver meets whatever criteria a council sets, then they should be given a HC plate, if they so wish. If they wish to carry on as a PH owner, or as a HC jockey, then good luck to them. But let it be their choice, no-one else's.

You see this is where we have a problem Sussex because some people don't have the same choices you have because of their personal circumstances.

If a driver meets whatever criteria he is given a badge, it is only when he can produce a vehicle which meets the councils criteria that he can obtain a plate.

If the councils criteria is set so that you can afford to purchase a vehicle but excludes as many as restrictions did from doing so because of financial restraints, do you claim a victory in "driver choice" or equality.

There is no way we are going to comply with legislation and be fair to everybody, derestriction doesn't make it fair to everyone but you champion the cause for derestriction because it allows you a plate as you are in a more fortunate financial position than most.

The only fair way to distribute plates would be to just distribute plates to fit and proper people who's own private vehicle passes an MOT.

Any other way involves large financial investment, and although you may be able to afford it, just think of all the people who will complain that you got a plate because you could afford it and the fact that they couldn't wasn't fair, even though they had their badge.

Deresriction allows only those with adequate finances to enter the trade, the thing that stopped them buying a plate was their principles therefore taking a plate for free and working as and alongside people who disgust them show how strong their principles really are.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Choices ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:23 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
You see this is where we have a problem Sussex because some people don't have the same choices you have because of their personal circumstances.

If a driver meets whatever criteria he is given a badge, it is only when he can produce a vehicle which meets the councils criteria that he can obtain a plate.

If the councils criteria is set so that you can afford to purchase a vehicle but excludes as many as restrictions did from doing so because of financial restraints, do you claim a victory in "driver choice" or equality.

There is no way we are going to comply with legislation and be fair to everybody, derestriction doesn't make it fair to everyone but you champion the cause for derestriction because it allows you a plate as you are in a more fortunate financial position than most.

The only fair way to distribute plates would be to just distribute plates to fit and proper people who's own private vehicle passes an MOT.

Any other way involves large financial investment, and although you may be able to afford it, just think of all the people who will complain that you got a plate because you could afford it and the fact that they couldn't wasn't fair, even though they had their badge.

Deresriction allows only those with adequate finances to enter the trade, the thing that stopped them buying a plate was their principles therefore taking a plate for free and working as and alongside people who disgust them show how strong their principles really are.

B. Lucky :twisted:

So you're saying that setting high vehicle standards makes it too difficult to enter the trade because it involved a 'large financial investment'.

And your answer is to limit plate numbers so that to enter the trade means you need an even LARGER financial investment?

What a bizarre argument.

Your alternative is what causes all the damage in the first place - let anyone in, basically.

Setting reasonable standards may be unfair to the extent that some may not be able to make the investment, but this applies even more so if you introduce the premium, so your argument is defeated by yourself.

It's a lot easier to get finance these days, and if not the driver can always jockey or rent a cab.

And if you want to confine ownership of a vehicle to those that can raise the finance for a vehicle AND a plate, then surely those same people can raise finance for a vehicle only?

Post subject: Re: Choices ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:00 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:

Provided one is 'fit and proper', then personal circumstances have f*** all to do with a council's policy.

If people can't afford a WAV, then it doesn't matter if they work in your manor, or mine.

If people can afford a WAV, then it it does matter, because you will be granted a license, and I wont. I happen to believe that's wrong.

However perhaps we can skip all the stuff we have debated for many years, and you could just answer me as to why a 'fit and proper' person, presenting a 'fit and proper' vehicle, shouldn't be issued with a HC vehicle license, no matter where they live?