Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: when will it end
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:30 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
City of York, plates now going for 43 grand, selling price was 40 grand a few weeks ago, one owner wants 55 thou with 8 year old Merc, and someone is considering, people are pulling along side taxi drivers and asking any plates for sale, but very few will sell, don't think anything will change in York, they may add on odd 5 WAV plates just to make it look good

mine's not for sale at any price, my son said so, anyway I don't care I have had my money worth out of it and still plodding on, it's brought me more in than when I was engineering. They can pull the plug anyday for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:23 am 

for the record highwayman whats your own view if they issue licenses carte blanche? do you think the trade would suffer, or would it make little effect?

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:43 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
captain cab wrote:
for the record highwayman whats your own view if they issue licenses carte blanche? do you think the trade would suffer, or would it make little effect?

regards

Captain cab

The trade is suffering now, been slow this last 3 months, never mind if they issue more plates, theres only 38 rank spaces for 150 odd cabs, and the council are trying to remove a 6 space rank near the station, where will they put us all, the place is gridlocked, further rank space limited

Now when GNER issue station permits shorty in April it is reckoned that the cost of the permits to ply in the station will rocket, it's about 400 quid at the moment, restriction is held at a number around 100 cab permits issued to a 12 space rank, if you are not well in with the cab firm running the show on behalf of GNER, you don't get one, all you can do is put your name down on the list, hear stories that some are not going to renew, so thats extra on the streets

I will still make a living but could do with some tax relief on the fuel side,now fuel is on the increase, but I think the rent drivers/plate hire drivers will start to suffer, I hear some are paying around the 200 quid mark per week then they gotta put fuel in, before they start making out for themselves. Heard that we could be getting around a 6% fare increase, don't know how true that is tho.

If I can't make it pay if they do put more plates on I'll just go on the dole, find an old blanket, buy a penny whistle, take the dog and sit outside a cashpoint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:17 pm 

Quote:
If I can't make it pay if they do put more plates on I'll just go on the dole, find an old blanket, buy a penny whistle, take the dog and sit outside a cashpoint

You better ask me to move first

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:58 am 
Highwayman wrote:
Now when GNER issue station permits shorty in April it is reckoned that the cost of the permits to ply in the station will rocket, it's about 400 quid at the moment, restriction is held at a number around 100 cab permits issued to a 12 space rank, if you are not well in with the cab firm running the show on behalf of GNER, you don't get one, all you can do is put your name down on the list, hear stories that some are not going to renew, so thats extra on the streets

Block the station off with your cabs, GNER are after your money nothing else, they will try and farm the work out to Taxibank or any other bone head who will pay them, Stand firm.