Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not happy in Reigate
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:09 pm 

Taxi drivers angry at unlimited licence plan

ANGRY taxi drivers gathered out-side Reigate Town Hall last Thursday evening to protest about new council regulations which, they claim, could lead to violence and vandalism.

The drivers were hoping their protest would encourage Reigate and Banstead Borough Council executive committee members to reconsider proposals allowing unlimited Hackney Carriage licences, coupled with reducing a vehicle's operating life to six years.

They say new rules will cause hardship and force many of them to give up and look for other jobs.

Dudley Price, chairman of Reigate and Banstead Taxi Association (RBTA), said: "There will be too many drivers and not enough taxi rank spaces.

"It has happened in other areas of the country where delimiting has taken place," he said. "Drivers at the taxi ranks were fighting each other for fares. "People were queue-jumping and pushing and shoving and there was a huge volume of verbal abuse aimed at drivers."

Mr Price, who lives in Smallfield, said he was one of many drivers whose takings barely allowed him to make a living. "I will have to seriously think about surrendering my plate. I just can't do it," he said.

Carmine Porto, treasurer of RBTA, said: "At present we can keep our cars running for seven years. If the maximum life is reduced to six years we will suffer badly.

"Many drivers barely earn twothirds of the minimum wage and have to work 60-70 hours a week to make a living."

He said that out of their earnings they have to pay for regular MoTs, fuel, insurance, and criminal records bureau checks.

Abid Majid, 39, from Redhill, said: "Most of us only survive because we work long hours spread out over the day, mainly in the morning and late at night.

"I have two young children and it means I can't spend much time with them. A lot of the drivers are in that position."

Abdul Haq, 41, from Redhill, said there were already too many drivers with Hackney Carriage plates. He said: "I can't earn enough from the trade so I often have to do work for a private firm.

"But this is costly because then I have to pay them a fee of £400 a month."

RBTA committee member Stuart Garrett, 60, from Horley, said: "There is real hardship among the drivers. I know people who cannot pay their mortgages. They do not get holiday pay or for sickness.

"They make on average £12,000 a year. We are really financially suffering and these councillors are indifferent to it."

After the meeting a spokesman for the executive committee said: "The committee has agreed to keep the maximum taxi age to seven years when relicensing, and not six as proposed.

"However, the number of Hackney Carriage licences will be unlimited, although new licences will only be issued to those vehicles suitable for carrying disabled passengers with wheelchairs.

"The council has carried out a taxi rank consultation with the trade and community.

"Following this the council has increased the number of bays in the taxi rank in Redhill and has allocated funding to investigate further improvements to taxi ranks, signage and associated matters."

Post subject: Re: Not happy in Reigate
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:
ANGRY taxi drivers gathered out-side Reigate Town Hall last Thursday evening to protest about new council regulations which, they claim, could lead to violence and vandalism.

And exactly where and what evidence back ups such a stupid comment? :?

Anyone with even the smallest bit of knowledge about this trade, knows that the main cause of violence and vandalism, in repect of the taxi/PH trade, happens when people can't get a taxi/PH.

Certainly not when there is ample supply. [-(

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
The drivers were hoping their protest would encourage Reigate and Banstead Borough Council executive committee members to reconsider proposals allowing unlimited Hackney Carriage licences, coupled with reducing a vehicle's operating life to six years.

So they are more than happy to see money entering the trade being spent on plate premiums, but not vehicle standards. [-X

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:46 pm 

Sussex wrote:
They say new rules will cause hardship and force many of them to give up and look for other jobs.

If times are so hard, then surely there wont be a flood of new vehicle owners. So really they have nothing to fear. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Dudley Price, chairman of Reigate and Banstead Taxi Association (RBTA), said: "There will be too many drivers and not enough taxi rank spaces.

"It has happened in other areas of the country where delimiting has taken place," he said. "Drivers at the taxi ranks were fighting each other for fares. "People were queue-jumping and pushing and shoving and there was a huge volume of verbal abuse aimed at drivers."

Mr Price, who lives in Smallfield, said he was one of many drivers whose takings barely allowed him to make a living. "I will have to seriously think about surrendering my plate. I just can't do it," he said.

Another myth often spouted by the thick.

Let's see this evidence of drivers fighting, and if they are fighting, then they will lose their licenses. But it's the same old rubbish from the same old rubbish. I believe the T&G/NTA application forms will soon be in the post.

Also people queue jumping at ranks, well I never. :lol:

But if Mr Price can't make a living out of it, then there are thousands of jobs going at Gatwick airport, a mile or so away. So if he can't hack it, then best he leaves it to those who can. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Abdul Haq, 41, from Redhill, said there were already too many drivers with Hackney Carriage plates. He said: "I can't earn enough from the trade so I often have to do work for a private firm.

Well that's just peachy. The mush is saying that he doesn't want the PH lads to do taxi work, but he is more than happy to grab their work.

What a lovely bloke. [-(

Post subject: REIGATE TAXI DRIVERS
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:32 pm 

Well come to the real world . I was nearly in tears , your having to work long hours . You dont see your kids . god you are pathetic .Thats what driving a taxi is all about . What makes you so diferent, from a corner shop , plumber or any small business. Why should you be granted a monopoly, to do what you do . Stand on your own two feet for once Business men are you not , be creative go cherry pick , cheat like every body else . I think your reps laying it on a bit thick . The council are soft not completely stupid . Streetcar .

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:35 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Taxi drivers angry at unlimited licence plan

Is this another one of Mr T's fallen Dominoes? or perhaps a knave in his house of cards?

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:46 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Well that's just peachy. The mush is saying that he doesn't want the PH lads to do taxi work, but he is more than happy to grab their work.

What a lovely bloke. [-(

Cab drivers in Reigate have known about the council's new policy since 24th March, at which time it was presented to the licensing Committee. Councillors are doing what they think is best for the public. Aren't councillors allowed to change policy? Or should policy be dictated by a handful of cab drivers?

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:35 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Sussex wrote:

And exactly where and what evidence back ups such a stupid comment? :?

Anyone with even the smallest bit of knowledge about this trade, knows that the main cause of violence and vandalism, in repect of the taxi/PH trade, happens when people can't get a taxi/PH.

Certainly not when there is ample supply. [-(

I think he's referring to driver v driver rather than the public.

Perhaps he's threatening that new plate holders might have their vehicles vandalised or threatened with violence.

A bit of an own goal methinks, but then it depends how the LA reacts to such thinly-veiled intimidation.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:40 pm 

Sussex wrote:

"But this is costly because then I have to pay them a fee of £400 a month."

But presumably he will still be better off than the PH drivers or he would just run a PH motor?

Why should he be treated preferentially, and then reduce the earnings of PH drivers because it suits him :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:46 pm 

Leave mr abdul haq aloan, he is working at least 27 hours a day .

Post subject: Reigate
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:46 pm 

I am at a loss to understand why ,T D O and J D take great delight in the demise of the taxi owner . I dont know if there was a plate premium in Reigate , but there more than likely was . People have probably borrowed , buying cabs thinking that there would be, a supply of drivers to help buy, the cab and give a bit, of an income as well . Now all that has changed . Drivers will now be free to own there own taxis . Owners could go bust , people could well loose there homes . You should be putting the case for the owner and owner drivers first . fatcat

Post subject: Re: Reigate
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:57 pm 
[quote="fatcatcabbie"]I am at a loss to understand why ,T D O and J D take great delight in the demise of the taxi owner . I dont know if there was a plate premium in Reigate , but there more than likely was . People have probably borrowed , buying cabs thinking that there would be, a supply of drivers to help buy, the cab and give a bit, of an income as well . Now all that has changed . Drivers will now be free to own there own taxis . Owners could go bust , people could well loose there homes . You should be putting the case for the owner and owner drivers first . fatcat[/quote

you will be sorry that you said that..T

Post subject: Re: REIGATE TAXI DRIVERS
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:53 pm 

streetcar wrote:
Well come to the real world . I was nearly in tears , your having to work long hours . You dont see your kids . god you are pathetic.

I agree, what they don't seem to care about is the non plate-holders who do as much, if not more, work, and have nothing to show for it at the end of the week.