Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:57 pm 

Heres one for Taxigirl, maybe she could fill us in on whats happening in good old Toronto. Click on "more" for the full story.

http://www.taxinews.com/

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:39 pm 

Is the story you're referring to the one entitled 'A watershed decision' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:43 pm 

TDO wrote:
Is the story you're referring to the one entitled 'A watershed decision' :D

Yes the story is below that. This should take you to the story but all the stories on that page are related.

http://www.taxinews.com/tac.html

Regards

JD

Post subject: Very Strange Indeed...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:27 pm 

You r not gonna believe this..but I have google set up to provide me with new news and taxi links...this came in my inbox this morning...I have no idea how I even missed the posting ...of course I would have had a big answer for you since myself and my partner actually went to the press conference at Queen's Park and rallied with the drivers. It was great to show them support, and they really appreciated the effort. The last update I have from my contacts is that Bill 169 will actually be moot if the government changes Municipal Act 155(2)...I have attached below my last update...You can find other articles regarding this issue on our Toronto page at http://taxidriver.ca/toronto.html . I will post another update as soon as I have more answers. Sorry guys for missing this post, I truly wasn't ignoring you!!! :?

"May 15th - Nice to hear from you Robin, I am so involved in projects these days and am in the process of numerous meetings with all the provincial parties on Bill 169 and Municipal Act 155(2) that I have little time for anything else.

Andy and Hillel had a meeting with the attorney general on Friday past. I couldn't attend because of a previous commitment but apparently the meeting went well. They pointed out my observation about the anti-scooping section of Bill 169 penalties section being more on the lines of a criminal act than a summary conviction offence. He was quite appalled to see that a police officer could have arrest powers under this section and the fines could be as high as $20,000.

They haven't had the 2nd reading on the bill as of yet. It will be difficult to have the anti-scooping section removed (Bill 169), but if we can get 155(2) of the Municipal Act removed then Bill 169 becomes a moot point. Then the airport authority vehicles could not pick up in Toronto and we could use the HTA sections and the enormous fines against them.

They are in the process of re-writing the Municipal Act and our committee has rec'd very favorable response from all parties. We will get an opportunity to address this re-write on the section and I believe we will get the support to have it removed. But we don't count our chickens before they hatch as nothing is etched into stone when dealing with politicians and their committee's."

Robin (AKA Taxigirl)