Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:33 pm 

In March 2004 the Minister for Finance and Public Services Andy Kerr said when commenting on behalf of the Scottish Government in response to the recommendations in the Office of Fair Trading Report:

Case studies indicate that the quality of service can fall when quantity controls are removed. We also believe that removing quantity controls would not necessarily improve the availability of taxis to the public. Consequently, we continue to take the view that local authorities are best placed to determine whether quantity controls are in the best interests of the travelling public. "However we recognise that the frequency and nature of surveys used by local authorities to assess whether there is any demand for taxis which is unmet, needs to be examined and this is something we will be giving further consideration to".

I highlighted the last sentence because I was wondering if Mr Kerr had indeed considered the issue of surveys and come up with a solution because it would seem the Scottish Judiciary has already beaten him to it, at least in respect of frequency if not nature.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:48 pm 

A REPORT BY THE TASK GROUP SET UP TO REVIEW THE LICENSING PROVISIONS CONTAINED IN THE CIVIC GOVERNMENT (SCOTLAND) ACT 1982

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library5/society/tglp-05.asp

The report makes interesting reading regardless of which side of the border you live but I suspect those in Scotland may have already read this report.

regards

JD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:29 pm 

JD wrote:
Case studies indicate that the quality of service can fall when quantity controls are removed.

And did he publish these case studies, or point out the facts?

No, because they don't exist, other than in the dreams of the thick. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:
Case studies indicate that the quality of service can fall when quantity controls are removed.

And did he publish these case studies, or point out the facts?

No, because they don't exist, other than in the dreams of the thick. :shock:

He never published a link or reference to these case studies because they don't exist. Any case study on quality depreciation would be meaningless because quality control is a regulation that is controlled by councils and it is they and only they who determine quality control. External factors such as delimitation play no part in quality control.

The Scottish Minister is obviously bias in retaining numbers control that is why he made the false statement. I hope someone sends him my comments it would be interesting to know where he got his research?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:22 pm 

i am very interested as well, but i tell you what though, if he had agreed with you guys, you would be whooping for joy and back slapping each other.

you are determined to ruin the trade for everyone, if you want a plate so badly go and pay the market price like everyone else and stop f*****G around with everyones living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:14 am 

187ums wrote:
i am very interested as well, but i tell you what though, if he had agreed with you guys, you would be whooping for joy and back slapping each other.

you are determined to ruin the trade for everyone, if you want a plate so badly go and pay the market price like everyone else and stop f*****G around with everyones living.

I already have a plate, why would I wan't another? TDO has a plate why would he want another? If I want more plates all I or anyone else has to do is apply to Trafford, Halton, Ellesmere Port, Pendle, Halifax, Congleton, Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Sevenoaks, Warrington, Weymouth or any other council who limits numbers but hasn't had a survey to determine the level of unmet demand.

I don't know what you mean when you say "pay the market price like everyone else" because in 69% of Authorities in England and Wales everyone gets their plate for free, or didn't you realise that?

Mr kerr would have been well advised to stick to the facts, Just because Kerr is a Scottish Government minister it doesn't give him impunity from criticism when he tells blatent lies.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:07 pm 

187ums wrote:

But I would still like to see the facts. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:13 pm 

187ums wrote:

I'm a bit confused here. :?

Nearly 70% of the country's cab trade is already de-limited, is their trade in ruins? Is London's cab trade in ruins? Is 100% of the PH trade in ruins?

No they are not, that manage to do their jobs properly without flawed restrictions, and it's a sad indictment of your cab trade that you need such protection. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:04 pm 
Sussex wrote:
187ums wrote:

I'm a bit confused here. :?

Nearly 70% of the country's cab trade is already de-limited, is their trade in ruins? Is London's cab trade in ruins? Is 100% of the PH trade in ruins?

No they are not, that manage to do their jobs properly without flawed restrictions, and it's a sad indictment of your cab trade that you need such protection. :shock:

Sussex..I will ask you once again, If the private hire is so good , Why do you want to be a hackney owner, but I do not expect a answer ..mrT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:13 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex..I will ask you once again, If the private hire is so good , Why do you want to be a hackney owner, but I do not expect a answer ..mrT.

You and your like might think it's a great idea to pay up to £50,000 for something someone got for f*** all, I happen to disagree. :wink:

As for whether I will stay PH or go HC once taxi quotas are gone, who knows? But it will be my choice, I wont have to be a lap-dog to anyone else, unless I want to. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:37 pm 
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

You and your like might think it's a great idea to pay up to £50,000 for something someone got for f*** all, I happen to disagree. :wink:

As for whether I will stay PH or go HC once taxi quotas are gone, who knows? But it will be my choice, I wont have to be a lap-dog to anyone else, unless I want to. 8-[

Sussex When you f**k it up for everyone, That means everyone even you,when you flood the street with cab's nobody makes a living, without a p/h radio, when that happens radio rents go through the roof,.....remember, for every action there is a reaction......but you know that dont you......mrT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:48 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex When you f**k it up for everyone, That means everyone even you,when you flood the street with cab's nobody makes a living, without a p/h radio, when that happens radio rents go through the roof,.....remember, for every action there is a reaction......but you know that dont you......mrT

Then why doesn't it happen in 70% of the countries cab trade, and 100% of the countries PH trade?

Why can't your trade live and work in the real world? :?

And do you think little old me could f*** it up for everyone? It is the likes of you that are doing it very well without my help thank you.

Any trade/union that has the Mansfield plank as a steward/leader is already way past helping. :-({|=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 pm 
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

Then why doesn't it happen in 70% of the countries cab trade, and 100% of the countries PH trade?

Why can't your trade live and work in the real world? :?

And do you think little old me could f*** it up for everyone? It is the likes of you that are doing it very well without my help thank you.

Any trade/union that has the Mansfield plank as a steward/leader is already way past helping. :-({|=

Sussex. I do live in the real world. Your the one that is happy earning Peanuts, maybe you want eveybody to come down to your level, unlike you I have "BEEN AND SEEN" ..Tell me how good Birmingham is. just saw a documentary on how it is rife with unlicenced and uninsured cars plying for hire ...You don't see that in Liverpool or sefton .mrT.... P.S. bought a new gun do you fancy a day out.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:03 am 

You know you are right, at the end of the day deregulation is coming to us all, the man argument is about Barriers to Trade, but its really easy, you remove one, we create another one, simple.

We dont need people like you, who know nothing about the global taxi trade. In countries where deregulation has been in placecame, they put the caps back on after 10+ years. what were the reasons cited? same ones as we put forward today.

You dont know my market place.

You do not know the infractructure.

You dont know what the alternatives to us are?

You assume that Private Hire and Taxi's are mutually exclusive.

You dont know how much business the trade can support?

What you do know is "as many cars as possible, and the let market find its own equilibrium".

What we know is it doesn't work like that, thier are problems with Free Market Economies.

In short you know nothing about my market, you just ASSUME that all of Great Britain is the same, and should be treated as such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:33 am 

187ums wrote:
You know you are right, at the end of the day deregulation is coming to us all, the man argument is about Barriers to Trade, but its really easy, you remove one, we create another one, simple.

We dont need people like you, who know nothing about the global taxi trade. In countries where deregulation has been in placecame, they put the caps back on after 10+ years. what were the reasons cited? same ones as we put forward today.

You dont know my market place.

You do not know the infractructure.

You dont know what the alternatives to us are?

You assume that Private Hire and Taxi's are mutually exclusive.

You dont know how much business the trade can support?

What you do know is "as many cars as possible, and the let market find its own equilibrium".

What we know is it doesn't work like that, thier are problems with Free Market Economies.

In short you know nothing about my market, you just ASSUME that all of Great Britain is the same, and should be treated as such.

Very eloquent.......Mr T and his band of private hire operators in Sefton are coming to gobble you up.

JD