Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:28 pm 

The City of Edinburgh Council: JACOBS REPORT

Although Edinburgh Council initiated the Jacobs Report after recognising the increase in PHC is indicative of a latent unmet demand for taxi services. The Council deliberately omitted the connection from the Report needless to say this is probably the only true indicator of demand when it comes to monitoring the situation.

Are there any other Cities out there where the council seem to have a commitment that goes far beyond the pale and for what reasons?
:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:20 am 

I don't think I have ever come across a SUD survey that hasn't been twisted into giving exactly what the council wants. Piper and tune spring to mind. :shock:

As for that shower Jacobs, well it would nice to see if that define what they mean by SUD in their report, because ones I've seen from them say that there isn't any SUD, in their view, but they never actually say what SUD is.

Which begs the question, how can you find, or not find, something, if you haven't a f***ing clue what your looking for? :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:02 am 

What you say makes perfect sense, the draft copy of the Jacobs report is in my possession. The sum total of their investigation into the increase of PHC being indicative of latent unmet demand, amounts to asking a few PHC drivers if they would like to see an increase in Taxis? Needless to say there reply was “no” they were concerned that an increase in taxis would eat into their work and from this Jacobs deduced that there was in fact “no unmet demand”.

This must be why the council call it an independent,robust and comprehensive survey of demad. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am 

So how do we go about challenging the findings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:08 pm 

There is undoubtedly room for the imposition of a set criteria to made mandatory by the Government. Certain criteria should be compulsory such as obtaining plate values and surveying every part of the authorities area and not just using models and equations.

Identifying public demand and even more so latent demand is not so simple and for it to be fully comprehensive it needs to be identified on a very broad approach.

Market research companies who undertake these surveys are getting away with murder. The OFT said they were flawed, however you might get some comfort from one or two of the independent surveys carried out for the OFT report. Try the one published below "Impacts on regulation of Taxi markets" and look in particular at the data for preferred choice of hire, you will see that booking by telephone is much the preferred choice of the consumer. That in itself gives a clear indication of public preference but does it really give you an indication why private hire vehicles have increased in such large numbers in recent years?

I doubt the increase in numbers is wholly down to increased Taxi use so could it be that private bookings have come at the expense of other methods of hiring?

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6F7E ... nnexeC.pdf

There is a lot that could help you in the OFT report and it may be worth your while reading all the annexes.

I'm surprised that none of the recent legal challenges to restricting numbers have touched on the most fundamental issue of European legislation? I think its about time those who are minded to challenge an Authority might be well advised to at least try that approach as was suggested by Judge Rodgers in the Dublin case.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:49 pm 

Skull wrote:
The City of Edinburgh Council: JACOBS REPORT

Although Edinburgh Council initiated the Jacobs Report after recognising the increase in PHC is indicative of a latent unmet demand for taxi services. The Council deliberately omitted the connection from the Report needless to say this is probably the only true indicator of demand when it comes to monitoring the situation.

Are there any other Cities out there where the council seem to have a commitment that goes far beyond the pale and for what reasons?
:?:

Jacobs have a track record of compiling reports that suggest no unmet demand. With regard to latent demand the OFT found that,

A survey which measures patent unmet demand by observing how long
passengers wait for taxis. Often the survey will make some attempt to
also capture latent demand through consumer surveys but these are
unable to establish the true extent of latent demand.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:53 pm 

Battle for more city taxis goes to court

A TAXI firm has taken the city council to court in an attempt to force it to allow more black cabs on to the roads. Taxi firm Threemaxblack claims there is an unmet demand for taxis at a time when people are queuing up to join the trade.

There are currently 1260 black cabs, a total which the council hasn't allowed to change for about five years. In that time the number of private hire vehicles, which the council does not control, has risen sharply to 791.

Threemaxblack, which is aiming to expand its fleet of taxis, claims that this is proof that more cabs are needed. The council is carrying out a review of demand, which could lead to an increase, but is awaiting the outcome of the survey. And now Threemaxblack is going to court in a bid to challenge the council's right to restrict the number of cabs on the roads.

Garry Thomson, spokesman for Threemaxblack, said: "The council has got 110 people on its interested parties list who in some cases have been waiting for ten or 15 years for a taxi licence." Mr Thomson believes the city needs up to 100 extra cabs on the road within the next 12 months.

The cabbie has clashed with council chiefs before. He was sent to anger management counselling by the council's regulatory committee after being fined £150 at Edinburgh Sheriff Court for an assault on another taxi driver.

Today he accused the council of making life easier for private hire drivers to operate in Edinburgh and harder for cabbies. He said: "Private hire vehicles are cheaper to run than black cabs. But it's been proven in other cities that if you put more black cabs on the road there's not enough work for private hire companies and they drop in numbers.

"Five years ago private hire companies couldn't deliver the same quality of service as black cabs. But by putting more cars on the roads, companies have seen their profits go up and now they are more competitive."

A licensed black cab costs about £45,000 and must have wheelchair access, while drivers have to pass the "knowledge" test. Private hire bosses do not have to meet such requirements, although driver background and vehicle checks are carried out.

However, the council has been backed by Jim Muldoon, chairman of the Scottish Taxi Federation. Mr Muldoon said: "The trade supports the council in what it is doing and in the Sheriff Court. "There's a survey currently taking place in Edinburgh. The council will then have to decide whether to put extra taxis on the road." He added: "There's a place for private hire in the industry. They're not taking significant trade away from taxis."

A council spokeswoman said: "At interim periods, the council commissions independent surveys to ensure that there is no significant unmet demand for taxis in Edinburgh. "The council is awaiting the results of the last survey, which is expected to be complete by the end of July 2005. The council will then review their policy, which currently limits taxi numbers to 1260, in light of the survey findings."

She said the council couldn't comment on the court case as the Sheriff hadn't issued a decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:12 pm 
is this edinburgh? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:37 pm 

And the mush in the middle is asking the 156th taxi if the driver will do a cheap run. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:33 am 

The artical that said that Edinburgh taxi number had not increased in five year is untrue. 49 new taxis plates where issued in the year 2004.
is this correct ask the Skull for the answer :?: :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:00 am 

Buck wrote:
The artical that said that Edinburgh taxi number had not increased in five year is untrue. 49 new taxis plates where issued in the year 2004.
is this correct ask the Skull for the answer :?: :?:

Halcrow Report completed 2001 recommendation 49 new licence plates last plate to go on 2002. The Halcrow Report also recommended de-restriction.

I said “1260 taxis for the last 4-5 years” this is 2005 by the time the council implemented the next increase based on the Jacobs Report, if any, it would be implemented in 2006 count it up for yourself.

Now Buck tell me how many PHC plates have went on in the last 4-5
years and tell me this is not indicative of a latent unmet demand. If the PHC is not eating into your work then who is?

One hundred PHC have gone on since we applied in Nov 2004 up to today’s date. How much work do you think you are going to have in another couple of years Buck?

The PHC are going on from between 15-26 a month compared with 5- 10, 5 years ago.

What do you think it is that you are protecting it certainly isn’t your work that’s for sure. :lol:

Taxis or PHC your choice? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:08 am 

Here’s a funny thing, half of what was reported I never said, shock, horror, I bet this is a surprise to everyone.

Although, all said and done it's close enough?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:40 am 

TDO wrote:
And the mush in the middle is asking the 156th taxi if the driver will do a cheap run. :D

He obviously needs a slap!
:badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:03 am 

Tell me something is it just me or are there a lot of pricks out there that don’t understand their own arguments. These people manage to make stupid comments but can’t challenge the argument with anything that is remotely coherent or has the resemblance of a structured in any form.

RealCabforce, RealCabforceforum, Buck, don’t you realise; all you are doing is proving my case in point.

Do everybody a favour, take a day off, you don’t have to be pricks all your life? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:47 am 

Skull wrote:
Tell me something is it just me or are there a lot of pricks out there that don’t understand their own arguments. These people manage to make stupid comments but can’t challenge the argument with anything that is remotely coherent or has the resemblance of a structured in any form.

RealCabforce, RealCabforceforum, Buck, don’t you realise; all you are doing is proving my case in point.

Do everybody a favour, take a day off, you don’t have to be pricks all your life? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Of course the difference is that we are what we say we are genuinely interested in the well being of the trade as a whole, unlike yourself who is, for the want of a better word a "scavenger".

A structured argument? well we will see :wink:

As for your "vile" private messages, please try to grow up, You are scaring no one :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next