Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surveys
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:25 pm 

Methodology behind a survey?

We all know that a licensing authority has to be in possession of evidence of no unmet demand if it want's to refuse an application for a hackney carriage proprietors license. The normal procedure by which a council advises itself of unmet demand is by way of a survey. Unlike Scotland, the courts in England and Wales have never determined the time frame of a survey. In Scotland before and even after the Coyle and Dundee cases Market research companies such as Halcrow etc, advised councils that a survey has a shelf life of three years or more.

Considering before Coyle the time frame of a survey had never ever, been determined in a court of law, You might be wondering like me where companies such as Halcrow got their three-year authority?

It probably won't surprise you to know that the three-year survey theory is all propaganda. Market researched companies have a vested interest in maintaining numbers control because it gives them a regular added income through regular surveys.

Even after the Coyle appeal case in 1997 Halcrow told Dundee council that their 1999 survey had a shelf life of three years. They forgot to mention that Lord President Rodger had said "a survey is only a snapshot of demand at that particular moment in time" he implied that a survey could not be transposed to some distant time in the future. Hence the now famous phrase of "historical surveys".

Market research companies such as Halcrow were brought down to earth in no uncertain fashion by the Scottish ruling, which was upheld, in the Dundee case.

So there you have the current situation in Scotland, a survey is just a snapshot in time and cannot be transported or projected to some time in the distant future. Quite a reasonable assumption when you think about it.

So what makes Market research companies think they can defend the same situation in England and Wales that they couldn't defend in Scotland?
Well I personally don't think they do believe that. They will always troop out the same old propaganda that they did in Scotland prior to Coyle but when the hammer is down as I am sure it will be in the coming weeks I am pretty sure they will be found wanting.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:55 am 

I've always taken the view that surveys often reflect the requirements of the local council that commisioned it, sort of 'he who pays the piper'. :shock:

The three year issue is just part of the con. Where did that come from? Was it from the gov, was it from DfT guidance, was it from a proper detailed study?

Or did it come of a Scout tombola? :-$

But survey firms make it up as they go along. Halcrow say in one study that latent demand is evidence of SUD, thus they said "more plates". The next survey they ignore all evidence of latent demand.

Same firm, different out-come. Why would that be? :-k

The latest trick that Halcrow has come up with is that fares must remain low, or static, if plate premiums exist. They may have a point, but where did that come from?

Was it from the gov, was it from DfT guidance, was it from a proper detailed study?

Oh yeah, silly me, it was from the boys and girls with their scarfs and woggles. :-$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:05 am 

But methinks there will be fewer and fewer surveys in the years to come. Not because some councils will carry on as before, and not do them, but because fewer and fewer councils will restrict. :D

If the DfT draft proposals are adopted, then this little paragraph will ensure that all surveys will find some SUD. :wink:

Peaked demand.

It is sometimes argued that delays associated only with peaks in demand (such as morning and evening rush hours, or pub closing times) are not 'significant' for the purpose of the Transport Act 1985. The Department does not share that view. Since the peaks in demand are by definition the most popular times for consumers to use taxis, it can be strongly argued that unmet demand at these times is significant. Local authorities should consider when the peaks occur and who is being disadvantaged through restrictions on provision of taxi services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:19 pm 

These dft proposals are merely that, "proposals". No one has to accept them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:21 pm 

187ums wrote:
These dft proposals are merely that, "proposals". No one has to accept them.

I can assure you 100%, if these proposals are adopted then the survey boys and girls will adapt their ways to meet them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:28 pm 

tell me what was the methodology behind these proposals? which LA's did they consult? which drivers did they talk to? which industry bodies did they consult?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:37 pm 

187ums wrote:
tell me what was the methodology behind these proposals? which LA's did they consult? which drivers did they talk to? which industry bodies did they consult?

Well to start with the other (Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish) adminstrations.

The Department for Transport has responsibility for taxi and PHV legislation in England and Wales, and, accordingly, the Guidance we eventually publish will be directed at local authorities in England and Wales. Responsibility for taxi and PHV licensing in Scotland and Northern Ireland is devolved, but the respective Administrations have been involved in the preparation of this draft Guidance and will decide for themselves the extent to which they which they wish to make use of it or adapt it to suit their own purposes.

And other parties including NALEO.

Various interested parties, including the National Association of Licensing and Enforcement Officers (NALEO), have been consulted on the guidance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:47 pm 

Do you actually drive a taxi for a living? seriously?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:55 pm 

187ums wrote:

IT'S A CONSULTATION DOCUMENT :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:03 pm 

187ums wrote:

No I don't, but I sure will do so soon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:03 pm 

187ums wrote:

If you're losing the argument, you can always try a quick change of subject.

And the 'you're not really a taxi driver' argument is an old favourite, particularly from those in the trade who think that no one can possibly know more than they do and/or treat disagreement as tantamount to treason :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:26 pm 

i dont think i am losing, in fact i reckon i might quit whilst i am ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:20 pm 

The following is an interesting disclaimer By jacobs as to their legal responsibilities should a council rely on their survey in any litigation. It is noticebale that Jacobs offer no legal guidance as to the competance or shelf life of their survey.

This report, and information or advice which it contains, is provided by Jacobs Consultancy solely for internal use and reliance by its Client in performance of Jacobs Consultancy 's duties and liabilities under its contract with the Client.

Any advice, opinions, or recommendations within this report should be read and relied upon only in the context of the report as a whole. The advice and opinions in this report are based upon the information made available to Jacobs Consultancy at the date of this report and on current UK standards, codes, technology and construction practices as at the date of this report. Following final delivery of this report to the Client, Jacobs Consultancy will have no further obligations or duty to advise the Client on any matters, including development affecting the information or advice provided in this report.

This report has been prepared by Jacobs Consultancy in their professional capacity as Consultants. The contents of the report do not, in any way, purport to include any manner of legal advice or opinion. This report is prepared in accordance with the terms and conditions of Jacobs Consultancy 's contract with the Client. Regard should be had to those terms and conditions when considering and/or placing any reliance on this report.

Should the Client wish to release this report to a Third Party for that party's reliance, Jacobs Consultancy may, at its discretion, agree to such release provided that:

(a) Jacobs Consultancy's written agreement is obtained prior to such release, and

(b) By release of the report to the Third Party, that Third Party does not acquire any rights, contractual or otherwise, whatsoever against Jacobs Consultancy and Jacobs Consultancy, accordingly, assume no duties, liabilities or obligations to that Third Party, and

(c) Jacobs Consultancy accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage incurred by the Client or for any conflict of Jacobs Consultancy's interests arising out of the Client's release of this report to the Third Party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:30 pm 
it was a survey that I got my plate from. :D
but it was the survey system that made me wait many mnay years for it. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:03 pm 

I was wondering if anyone knows why Jacobs said in their survey report that Sefton have been granted permission by the courts to undertake a survey every five years?

Regards

JD