Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:06 am 

Hi
I am new to the industry and am just about to buy a plate for in Glasgow for £35K but with all of the discussion threads around de regulation I am now unsure if this is a good idea.
Seem to be lots more people on here more knowledgable than me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

craigwilson25@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:30 pm 

Craig25 wrote:
Hi
I am new to the industry and am just about to buy a plate for in Glasgow for £35K but with all of the discussion threads around de regulation I am now unsure if this is a good idea.
Seem to be lots more people on here more knowledgable than me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Spending 35k on a plate under present conditions is a risky business. You need to find out when Glasgow last had an unmet demand survey and what method they use for regular updates to satisfy themselves that there is no unmet demand. If you feel the method wouldn't pass the test required by law then don't buy one, if on the other hand you feel the method used would pass the test then you are going to have to make a hard decision.

Jacobs has just done a survey in Edinburgh which states only 30% of the public use a Taxi rank as a means of getting a Taxi, that means 70% of the public use other methods. It follows that anyone using a rank survey as a top up method to determine unmet demand is only measuring 30% of any demand that might exist?

What Jacobs don't realise is that when you break their figures down for rank hiring it proves that only 12% of the Edinburgh public use Taxi Ranks in the city. The method of using rank surveys in Edinburgh might be a thing of the past if the Jacobs report is anything to go by? The same might apply in Glasgow, who knows? Some bright spark who wants a plate in Glasgow or Edinburgh may seize upon the Evidence in the Edinburgh Jacobs's report and say, "hey look" Rank surveys are meaningless! Because according to Jacobs they only measure 12% of demand?

This is one of the most alarming statistics to come out of the Edinburgh Jacobs report because it makes a nonsense of the only Rank survey that the Edinburgh LO conducted in the space of two years. Jacobs have proved that the LO could have only measured at the most 30% of demand. However when you break the figures down as I have suggested it works out at 12%. Damming evidence indeed.

Before you part with 35 grand for a piece of paper that gives you no guarantees whatsoever It might be worth your while taking an in-depth look at the situation surrounding grey market plate values.

You are going to have to make an awkward decision. My advice would be to wait until the Government best practice document is published, the picture will no doubt be a lot clearer.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:21 pm 

Politically, Scotland certainly seems a safer bet than England, but who knows what could happen.

If you are intending buying it yourself and working your butt off then it might be worth going for, but not if you are intending sitting back and hiring drivers.

But even if you work your butt off and pay it off within a handful of years, if it's delimited they you'll have worked for nothing, so you might not have a massive debt, but you won't have much to show for your efforts.

But who knows, Glasgow could take years to go, in which case it could prove a good investment.

But I think they'll all go eventually. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:14 pm 

JD wrote

" My advice would be to wait until the Government best practice document is published, the picture will no doubt be a lot clearer."

Which Government?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:20 pm 

Good investment, even if they deregulate it might cost you 35k to get on if they insist on a brand new TX2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:38 am 

The only safe bet is to stay clear of buying taxi plates. Nobody knows when a LA will deregulate, 3 years down the line, your plate could be worthless.

It is definitely best to avoid this situation completely. If you definitely want to get on the cabs, look for a decent settle cab and plate.

Ask around and see who's got a good name for reliable, new cabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:46 am 

fairway wrote:
The only safe bet is to stay clear of buying taxi plates. Nobody knows when a LA will deregulate, 3 years down the line, your plate could be worthless.

It is definitely best to avoid this situation completely. If you definitely want to get on the cabs, look for a decent settle cab and plate.

Ask around and see who's got a good name for reliable, new cabs.

Your best bet is too, weigh up the options, dont be frightened by the doom and gloom merchants and go for it,those guys will moan and whine louder than a fawlty wheelbarrow cause they aint been given something for nothing, a worker will always do well cause, simply, they work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:02 am 

Weigh it all up but remember if you take the plunge you will never be free from the spectre of de-regulation. Or for that matter the Council pulling your licence if you end up in a spot of bother, the choice is yours. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:10 am 

Sirius wrote:

Which Government?

Application to Devolved Administrations

The Department for Transport has responsibility for taxi and PHV legislation in England and Wales, and, accordingly, the Guidance we eventually publish will be directed at local authorities in England and Wales. Responsibility for taxi and PHV licensing in Scotland and Northern Ireland is devolved, but the respective Administrations have been involved in the preparation of this draft Guidance and will decide for themselves the extent to which they which they wish to make use of it or adapt it to suit their own purposes.

JD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:35 am 

Craig25 wrote:
Hi

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... xiguid.doc

In terms of Section 10(3) to the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, 1428 remains the number of taxi licences considered necessary to meet the demand for the services of taxis in Glasgow but nevertheless there will be no significant unmet demand for the services of taxis until the number of taxi licences falls below 1418 and that limit shall be reviewed annually.

They do not mention de-limiting the plates there, only that it will be monitored Annually, you will no best how the trade works in your part of the World, personally I would go for it, any changes are likely to be some years off if they happen at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:03 am 

Sirius wrote:
Craig25 wrote:
Hi

In terms of Section 10(3) to the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, 1428 remains the number of taxi licences considered necessary to meet the demand for the services of taxis in Glasgow but nevertheless there will be no significant unmet demand for the services of taxis until the number of taxi licences falls below 1418 and that limit shall be reviewed annually.

They do not mention de-limiting the plates there, only that it will be monitored Annually, you will no best how the trade works in your part of the World, personally I would go for it, any changes are likely to be some years off if they happen at all.

I take it that you are thinking of going for it youself Sirius.

If you are, wait untill the end of November.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:10 am 

Skull wrote:
Sirius wrote:
Craig25 wrote:
Hi

why, whats happening then?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:17 am 

Sirius wrote:
Skull wrote:
Sirius wrote:
Craig25 wrote:
Hi

You never heard of Santa?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:19 am 

Sirius wrote:

Glasgow cannot refuse anyone an owner/operators license unless they can prove there is no unmet demand for Taxis in their area. It doesn't matter what their policy dictates it is what the law dictates that matters.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:26 am 

Sirius wrote:
Skull wrote:
Sirius wrote:
Craig25 wrote:
Hi

A lot that you don't know about yet?

Let the dust settle first, not a wise move just at the moment. :wink: