Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:15 am 

Cleary a newspaper columnist in Liverpool wasn't too impressed by the council's evidence to the Transport Committee, according to this in the Echo:

HOW dare large parts of the media and numerous commentators describe the Hutton Report as a "whitewash"?

When something costs pounds 2m and takes more than six months to produce, one should at least have the decency to call it Snowflake White gloss, with a hint of rose.

With his keen eye for the truth, I wonder if Lord Hutton was behind a recent report to the Office of Fair Trading about why Liverpool does not need any more taxis.

The report states: "In the city centre, taxicab users do not have to wait for a taxi. A taxicab can always be found on rank. The population of Liverpool and its visitors find no difficulty in obtaining taxicabs."

Yes, that's right. And Saddam could have launched a nuclear attack within 45 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:09 am 
What a shoddy attack on Lord Hutton, you are no better than the countrys gutter press.

as for the evidence about attack in 45 minutes what very short memories most people have.

cannot anyone remember the churchill-matrix, and Astra saga?

let me remind you it was known as the supergun affair. the government then tory, put directors of arms companies on charge for illegaly supplying weapons to iraq, then it was discovered that under the official secrets act vital evidence was witheld to the defense side.

in smart words that government were to send directors to prison, for suppling arms which the government had ordered and given credit lines for.

so there is a cleft stick, do you declare weapons of mass destruction found
and then find that they were actualy built in Britain, or not declare any?

of course iraq had weapons of mass destruction we built the bloody things thats how we know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:04 am 

I think you have missed the point Mr Guest.

If even the local press doesn't believe what the Liverpool contingent told the Select Committee, why should we? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:12 am 

churchill-matrix, was that that film?

Liverpool, that place accoring to latest reports from the city council, has birds singing, the sun in the sky, people drinking expensive wine alfresco from wine bars, and taxi and private hire drivers living in perfect harmony.

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.....

Regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:47 am 

Yorkie wrote:
What a shoddy attack on Lord Hutton, you are no better than the countrys gutter press.

as for the evidence about attack in 45 minutes what very short memories most people have.

let me remind you it was known as the supergun affair. the government then tory, put directors of arms companies on charge for illegaly supplying weapons to iraq, then it was discovered that under the official secrets act vital evidence was witheld to the defense side.

in smart words that government were to send directors to prison, for suppling arms which the government had ordered and given credit lines for.

of course iraq had weapons of mass destruction we built the bloody things thats how we know!

Gosh, Yorkie.

We were one of the transport companies that carried it, and yours truly was one of the drivers. However, Supergun was not a weapon of mass destruction, and it was passed out through Dover Customs with the minimum of formalities.

The truth about Supergun, is that it was Oil Pipeline equipment. It said so on our T.I.R. carnets.

Methinks the idea was simple. Iraq was gonna fire oil at Israel from the Sueprgun, to avoid having to ship it through the Suez Canal.

Note: No-one from our Company was ever called to give evidence to the Commons Select Committee enquiry. Paul Ashwell (the guy who got arrested in Greece) was not, as far as I am aware, ever questioned by committee either. Clearly, thats because we were too thick to know anything about it.

All I remember, is that one Sunday night, all the remaining trailers had to shipped to Calais on the double, so that Matrix Churchill and Sheffield Forgemasters could draw down on their Letters of Credit.

As I recollect, and my memory is (necessarily) vague on such things, a few months before Supergun, we had another job carrying weapons systems and the like down to Portsmoth to be loaded on an Exhibition shp due to sail for the mddle east (Iraq). It was one of the Townsend Thoresen ships. Viking Voyager or something like that. The name did amuse me as I remember.

Oh for the good old days....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:38 pm 
The Hutton report was out on the day of the OFT slating, a bad day turned into a good one IMHO :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:19 pm 

You know what, I really think you actually believe that. :? :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:49 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

Gosh, Yorkie.

We were one of the transport companies that carried it, and yours truly was one of the drivers. However, Supergun was not a weapon of mass destruction, and it was passed out through Dover Customs with the minimum of formalities.

The truth about Supergun, is that it was Oil Pipeline equipment. It said so on our T.I.R. carnets.

Methinks the idea was simple. Iraq was gonna fire oil at Israel from the Sueprgun, to avoid having to ship it through the Suez Canal.

Note: No-one from our Company was ever called to give evidence to the Commons Select Committee enquiry. Paul Ashwell (the guy who got arrested in Greece) was not, as far as I am aware, ever questioned by committee either. Clearly, thats because we were too thick to know anything about it.

All I remember, is that one Sunday night, all the remaining trailers had to shipped to Calais on the double, so that Matrix Churchill and Sheffield Forgemasters could draw down on their Letters of Credit.

As I recollect, and my memory is (necessarily) vague on such things, a few months before Supergun, we had another job carrying weapons systems and the like down to Portsmoth to be loaded on an Exhibition shp due to sail for the mddle east (Iraq). It was one of the Townsend Thoresen ships. Viking Voyager or something like that. The name did amuse me as I remember.

Oh for the good old days....

Well thats what the court case was about, apparently gun steel isnt used on oil pipelines.

and a local firm here made something for it it was definitly a WOMD.

the government said so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:24 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
You know what, I really think you actually believe that. :? :? :? :?

When the delegaton turned up at the house of commons it was full of the press covering the Hutton report, when the press was asked, are you here for the OFT report??? The press said what??? Oh happy days :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:45 am 

And your point is? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:10 pm 
Suspect, nobody knows anything about the OFT report in the house of commons, thats why it's been a waist of money. [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:09 pm 
Nidge wrote:
Suspect, nobody knows anything about the OFT report in the house of commons, thats why it's been a waist of money. [/b]

Nige
I cannot believe anybody can believe that this report will be put on a shelf and forgotten.

this is the height of optomism on your part.

action will be taken on this report, we can only speculate what action that will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:34 pm 
Nidge wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Nidge wrote:

The report has already been welcomed by the government
will it be acted upon?
it is being now in local authorities up and down this land.
Nige, you either dont understand the mechanisms of political control or you are being eternally blind.

anyway didnt you say you were leavibg the trade?

with this behaviour you soon will, by choice or otherwise.

Nige
I cannot believe anybody can believe that this report will be put on a shelf and forgotten.

this is the height of optomism on your part.

action will be taken on this report, we can only speculate what action that will be.

The hight of optmisim is will it be accepted???? Will it heck as like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:10 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Suspect, nobody knows anything about the OFT report in the house of commons, thats why it's been a waist of money.

Firstly, the government has to reply by March 9th. Look for the words 'guidance' in the short term, and 'statutes' in the long term.

Secondly, the fact that nobody in the house knows nothing about OFT is hardly surprising, just look at those on the select committee. :shock:

But if what you say is true, then that's evidence itself that the T&G is full of s***.

All I have been reading in CTN, all the trade press, and on taxi forums, is that the T&G have umpteen MPs that follow the T&G agenda.

Well if they know nothing, then that must be the T&G agenda, nothing. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:58 pm 

Supergun was a gun. Not a WOMD.

It would only become so, if you used nuclear or bacteriological warheads.

I may well be wrong, but I dont `think' we supplied any of those things.

Who knows, stranger things have happened.