Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:35 pm 

OFT - TAXI DEREGULATION 01.03.04

Meale/Alan

That this House is alarmed about the Office of Fair Trading's recent report on the taxi trade, which advocates the deregulation of the industry; is deeply concerned that since its publication, the OFT has engaged in a series of behind closed doors, so-called round table discussions across the country, promoting its own position against other options and without the involvement of representatives of those who work in that sector; and calls upon Her Majesty's Government to listen to common sense and reject the dangerous and misguided meanderings of this body, before its actions and opinions ruin what is by and large a sensibly managed and regulated public transport service.

The average number of signatries for 'Early day motions' is between 40 and 100, and the doom-mongers have got 6.

Even the 'HORNCHURCH FOOTBALL CLUB' got 27. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:59 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:

Meale/Alan

Nidges buddy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:26 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:

Meale/Alan

That this House is alarmed about the Office of Fair Trading's recent report on the taxi trade, which advocates the deregulation of the industry; is deeply concerned that since its publication, the OFT has engaged in a series of behind closed doors, so-called round table discussions across the country, promoting its own position against other options and without the involvement of representatives of those who work in that sector;

lol you wanted to know what was going on Sussex, Mr Meale has told you a small part of it. Maybe he read my post in TDO last week. What he probably doesn't know is that the OFT have been working very closely behind the scenes with the Government departments concerned. I was informed of this last week. I couldn't mention it because at the time it wasn't common knowledge. Mentioning it would have breached confidentiality. Seeing as Mr Meale has brought it into the open I feel a little more comfortable in revealing to you the fact that there has been a lot of activity between all the relative Government departments concerned with changing section 16. The Government undoubtedly have the will to follow it through, but will it get through the committee stage of the RRO?

I suspect you may get an official or unofficail comment soon on the activity that has recently taken place between the Departments.

Intersting times ahead but when will the Fat lady sing and for who'm?

The intirigue that is politics. lol

Best wishes

John Davies
Manchester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:56 pm 

John Davies. wrote:
The Government undoubtedly have the will to follow it through, but will it get through the committee stage of the RRO?

I think it will John. :D

If for no other reason than restricting numbers just doesn't make sense.

I must have typed a few million words, on forums, in the press, to MPs, to councils etc etc.

Not once have I had a coherent answer to the 'why restrict' question. :shock:

I have received and read, lots of rubbish, lot of lies, lots of scaremongering, lots of the 'end of the world is nigh', but not once has anyone defended restricting the number of HC(taxis) in anything near a reasoned way.

I wonder why? :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:10 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Nidges buddy.

See I don't even mind that, providing the MP has made an informed view based on the facts, not the myths.

Hopefully when he receives accurate up-to-date info, telling him what the situation is, not what the scare-mongers say it is, then sense may prevail.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:12 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:
so-called round table discussions across the country, promoting its own position against other options and without the involvement of representatives of those who work in that sector.

So when he says representatives of those working in the sector, he means the bus-man from the T&G. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:14 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
John Davies. wrote:
The Government undoubtedly have the will to follow it through, but will it get through the committee stage of the RRO?

I must have typed a few million words, on forums, in the press, to MPs, to councils etc etc.

I have received and read, lots of rubbish, lot of lies, lots of scaremongering, lots of the 'end of the world is nigh', but not once has anyone defended restricting the number of HC(taxis) in anything near a reasoned way.

you wouldnt reccognise it if it happened, unfortunatly you have a closed mind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:16 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
John Davies. wrote:

you wouldnt reccognise it if it happened, unfortunatly you have a closed mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:54 am 

I heard you the first time. :shock:

As for a closed mind, maybe, but it would be nice if someone tried to open it in a coherent way.

Perhaps the ministers will, and perhaps they wont. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:15 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
I heard you the first time. :shock:

As for a closed mind, maybe, but it would be nice if someone tried to open it in a coherent way.

Perhaps the ministers will, and perhaps they wont. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sussex.
Politics is the art of the possible, its made to look like "we are doing the best"

somethings are important somethings less so, in the scale of things this is not important at all, it wont win a general election, nor will it lose one.

we will drop new regs on taxis if you support os on (wharever) that is how fickle things are.

Ministers care not whether Sussex gets a plate, nor even your justification, they do care about getting a good report, on the justification on wat in iraq for instance.

you know full well the truth of what I am saying.

and to cap it all taxi drivers still have friends in the Lords.

dont to anything stupid its nothing to commit harrycarry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:35 pm 

No Wharfie, I wont do anything stupid, but thank you for the thought. :oops:

To be honest, if the worst case scenario for me is the status quo, it's not really a massive problem. :wink:

But I don't think the worst case scenario will happen, I think if nothing was going to happen, then we would have known by now.

The conspiracy theorists among us will no-doubt say, that in the last few weeks the OFT, the DfT and the DTI, have all stitched up a nice little old set of rules for us, including the end of the quotas system.

I couldn't possibly comment. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:49 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
No Wharfie, I wont do anything stupid, but thank you for the thought. :oops:

To be honest, if the worst case scenario for me is the status quo, it's not really a massive problem. :wink:

But I don't think the worst case scenario will happen, I think if nothing was going to happen, then we would have known by now.

The conspiracy theorists among us will no-doubt say, that in the last few weeks the OFT, the DfT and the DTI, have all stitched up a nice little old set of rules for us, including the end of the quotas system.

I couldn't possibly comment. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yes I am aware of the secret meetings, the scull and dagger,

however I still know how fickle politics are!

I still dont think this one is in the bag by a long chalk, your confidence baffles me unless its bravado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:48 pm 

For the record it's up to 19 now. :shock:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:55 pm 
Alex wrote:
For the record it's up to 19 now. :shock:

Alex

and as they say in Dundee "Its growing all the time"

Post subject: