PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:46 am 

I dont know about you guys but i found it very funny

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:53 am 
2old4this wrote:
I dont know about you guys but i found it very funny

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YES I can see the humour this though is the home of former MP Dick taverne, they are rather isolated in thier thinking , a bit like an uneducated Brighton.

They will limit by numbers but the police comment will haunt them, a survey overdue?

the story itself was spoilt by the opinion, the facts could have spoken for themselves.

lets see what transpires, knowing them too many buses chasing too few passengers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:56 am 

So now Lincoln will have to survey and ask 'all and sundry' for their views.

I wonder how many of the others will support Lincoln staying restricted?

But as Mr Yorkie says, those police comments will return to haunt them. And quite rightly too. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:08 pm 

I would like to know when a spokesperson from the cab trade will say :
We recommend that number restrictions on the Police forces be lifted urgently. We think this will help in the combatting of crime. Friday and Saturday nights are completely devoid of the boys in blue, is this restriction a way of boosting pensions?If we did increase the force the country could not afford the early retirements etc, after all if we put a police man outside every pub in the land at weekends perhaps this would reduce the trouble. During the less busy hours in the week we can find them something else to do. When will the Oft state the blindingly obvious, binge drinking will increase trouble exponentially whether there are cabs available or not.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:42 pm 
I'm a private hire driver in Lincoln. The trouble here is that there is no trade during the week. Monday to Thursday is very quiet, both day and night. Recently a pivate hire operator was quoted as saying that the school runs during the week were the bread and butter of the taxi trade here ( this was in response to a report in the local rag about the amount of cash spent on school transport, an issue raised by councillors at a meeting) he also said that if it wasn't for the school contracts that there wouldn't be as many cars working as there are at this moment. It really is dullesville during the week.
Weekends tend to be rather hit and miss, a lot of the locals are paid monthly, so, you have a couple of good weekends and a couple of mediocre ones in a month. A case of too many customers and not enough cars, but you dont make enough at the weekend to sit on your butt the rest of the week when its quiet.

Post subject: Re: No Lincoln de-limit
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:16 pm 

TDO wrote:
Read the article here:

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/lincoln.htm

Discuss the issues below!

This may be old hat, but it predates my membership of TDO.

As a licensed TAXI driver in Lincoln, I had no idea that I could make a contribution to the reduction of violent crime.

Eighteen months on from the publication of this article, nothing has changed, well, apart from the FREE nightbuses that take home the "drunk and rowdy" a halcrow survey (ISUD indicator value of 39) "The predominant market state is that of equilibrium" and a Council decision not to de-restrict.

There is no waiting list for plates.

On to "Comment"

"presumably changing hands for tens of thousands of pounds". WRONG

If you want a plated TX1, (T reg) with advertising revenue for less than 10K, send me a PM. (It's a City of Lincoln plate though, sorry) The present owner can't work it, and jockeys are non existent. So don't presume, research.

"Comparisons are odious" (Oscar Wilde)

You compare Lincoln with Great Yarmouth, but fail to compare,

Lincoln is 100% WAV is Great Yarmouth?

How many of Yarmouth's Hack's are Horse drawn?

Combined fleet numbers Lincoln 280 Yarmouth 214.

So Lincoln is BETTER served in numerical terms.

You doubt the word of one of Lincoln's finest Councillors when he states there is no one on the waiting list, which does exist, I have seen it. The last person in a queue of one passed away two years ago, and no one has asked licensing for years to be placed upon it. I do not like to hear of slurs upon our local dignataries, I will have you know we have the finest licensing committee that money could buy.

Finally, the reason that licenses are restricted in Lincoln is because it is the (sensible) policy of the City of Lincoln Council to restrict licenses, and it will take a change in the LAW to change that policy, irrespective of any official in the DfT, the OfT, or the RSPCA trying to bully them onto a contrary position. Don't you just LOVE old Labour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:07 pm 

You mean you've just found that Jimbo - I wonder why you've never said anything about it.

Thing is, if things are as you say they are then I can't see why you are getting your knickers in such a knot about derestriction, since no one would plate a taxi anyway, surely?

So why doesn't the council just delimit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:09 pm 

By the way, I can't see what relevance the size of the combined fleet, is - that wasn't the point being made, it was the extremely small proportion of taxis that seems anomolous.

Surely even you would agree that the proportion is extremely low, irrespective of what type of vehicle you need?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:11 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Finally, the reason that licenses are restricted in Lincoln is because it is the (sensible) policy of the City of Lincoln Council to restrict licenses, and it will take a change in the LAW to change that policy, irrespective of any official in the DfT, the OfT, or the RSPCA trying to bully them onto a contrary position. Don't you just LOVE old Labour?

Make your mind up Jimbo - in the same post you say no one wants plates in Lincoln, so it can't be very sensible for the council to restrict them :lol:

So basically you seem to be contradicting yourself in the same way as the councillor - if he's so 'fine', I wouldn't like to hear what the crap ones have to say. :wink:

We're keeping plates restricted because no one wants them - work that one out #-o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:24 pm 

TDO wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Make your mind up Jimbo - in the same post you say no one wants plates in Lincoln, so it can't be very sensible for the council to restrict them :lol:

So basically you seem to be contradicting yourself in the same way as the councillor - if he's so 'fine', I wouldn't like to hear what the crap ones have to say. :wink:

We're keeping plates restricted because no one wants them - work that one out #-o

Now, now, you are just spinning the plate.

You may not like it much, I really don't know why you care, unless you want a plate in Lincoln, but I am happy with the retention of the status quo. But why do you want to see de-limiting in Lincoln?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:44 am 

jimbo wrote:
TDO wrote:
jimbo wrote:

You may not like it much, I really don't know why you care, unless you want a plate in Lincoln, but I am happy with the retention of the status quo. But why do you want to see de-limiting in Lincoln?

Come on then Jimbo lets have it, how much is a plate worth in stinkin Lincoln and how much did you pay for yours?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:00 am 

Skull wrote:
jimbo wrote:
TDO wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Come on then Jimbo lets have it, how much is a plate worth in stinkin Lincoln and how much did you pay for yours?

In 1985 I bought my one plate for £4K in 1995, after a WAV only condition of license, you could get one for free. In 2005, you would have change out of £4K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:50 am 

TDO wrote:
You mean you've just found that Jimbo - I wonder why you've never said anything about it.

Thing is, if things are as you say they are then I can't see why you are getting your knickers in such a knot about derestriction, since no one would plate a taxi anyway, surely?

So why doesn't the council just delimit?

Was it Henry Ford who said" If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:01 pm 

jimbo wrote:

Was it Henry Ford who said" If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

No, it was an MSP, Kenny McAskill :lol: