Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am 

Sussex wrote:
JDBubbles wrote:
What they have been doing for years was under a different council.

I'm not really sure that matters.

The 1847 act applies equally to the smallest of councils as to the largest of councils.
Exactly Sussex a taxi is always a taxi etc etc. Councils have very limited power in regard to changing an act of parliament; they just oversee it and implement it. They don’t like it but facts are facts. If we went back into time, the only reason we using LTI's were because London was. In reality the whole WAV debate is illegal in my view, because you may use any suitable vehicle to use as a taxi according to the 1847 act, but the LA's unfortunately interpret that its THEY who pick the vehicle. It does not say in the act anywere, that the government or the local councils choose which vehicle just any suitable vehicle.
If it’s got a roof & 4 doors etc its ok. The act was there to promote safety more than anything.
To finalise, Chester & West Cheshire are going beyond their remit to change exsisting rules & should be brought to account. The touble is its like trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted.
I will tell you whats coming next...they will insist on drivers changing their cabs every 5 years!! :cry: eusasmiles.zip :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:05 am 

Thanks for your E-Mail

The question of existing drivers and the current need for them to replace a current vehicle with a new vehicle is already being looked at and a report will be prepared for the Licensing Committee soon. We have been liaising with the Hackney Association on this matter.

I will pass that information on the the Access Officer.

Thanks again.

Guy Morris
Team Leader Licensing Processes
Cheshire West and Chester Council
Tel: 01244 402378
Email: guy.morris@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
Visit: cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:26 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Thanks for your E-Mail

The question of existing drivers and the current need for them to replace a current vehicle with a new vehicle is already being looked at and a report will be prepared for the Licensing Committee soon. We have been liaising with the Hackney Association on this matter.

I will pass that information on the the Access Officer.

Just out of interest what did you put in your email ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:35 pm 

I recon Skip just told them the 1847 act law as it stands now & they will be miffed off about it, but I could be wrong LOL :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 pm 

Subject: Re: taxi rules

Dear MR. Guy, many thanks for your prompt reply to my email, could you just clarify one point,

(The Council made the decision that new applicants for a Hackney Licence must have a new vehicle from the approved list. Since this decision was made a further 28 new Hackney Carriages of various models have been licensed in Chester.)

What about excising licence holders, if they want to exchange there older cabs for a newer model, these is nothing in any of the acts that states they must provide a new vehicle, or new applicants for that matter

Regarding the Access Officer, please show him or her the DFT best practice guidance that clearly states that saloons must be licenced as hackney as well

On the subject of your requirement that only new vehicles will be licensed please go and check the law, you will find that you and the 2 other former councils cannot impose this, also the governments best practice guidance will also inform you of this, it will also inform you that saloons must be licensed as hackney as well, so to give all disabled the chance of getting a taxi from a rank or being able to hail one from the street.
Taxi owners are free to transfer licences by law, so please don't make it up as you go along stick to the law as it is written
Zones must also be abolished if fares are set by the council as you will now be one area, and taxis are free to pick up anywhere within a council area

Many Thanks for your E-Mail.

We were aware of the case that was brought in Liverpool but thanks for drawing our attention to it.

Both in the old Chester City Council and the new Cheshire West and Chester Council we have licensed both the LTI and a number of models of the converted vehicles that were approved by the council. Prior to approving any new model we always consult the Access Officer for his views.

The Council made the decision that new applicants for a Hackney Licence must have a new vehicle from the approved list. Since this decision was made a further 28 new Hackney Carriages of various models have been licensed in Chester.

We are aware that the Transfer of a Hackney carriage is allowed, however the parties must by law notify the Council within 14 days.

With regard to Zones these came about as part of the Local Government Reform Transitional Provisions, the removal of the zones will only take place after consultation with the trade and approval of the Council. Fares are only approved by the council any changes are proposed by the Hackney Association.

Hope this helps but if you need anything else please conatct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 am 

Skip, they missed the part about vale Royal licensing saloons pre-Chester & West. Vale Royal still has saloons and will continue to license them. However WAV's are in the Ellesmere Port & Chester district.
Do you think we can change the uk HC laws single handed Skip? Not sure but we give it a go eh! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:09 am 

Well as your all now under one nice friendly council you too should be able to licence a saloon, as you say they already do, that's if you want one, if they say no take them to court
Or for free put a written complaint into the traffic commissioner

The complaint is already in the council system :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:47 pm 

They have altered the rules in the ex Vale Royal to wavs only now, but will continue to license the existing ones. The drivers here have the right to appeal this and get there voice heard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:08 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
The Council made the decision that new applicants for a Hackney Licence must have a new vehicle from the approved list. Since this decision was made a further 28 new Hackney Carriages of various models have been licensed in Chester.

NEW APPLICANTS, To my understanding they have decided that when you buy another vehicle to replace your existing one the plate from the old cab ceases to exist and so you then become a NEW APPLICANT and must buy a brand new vehicle.
The Association have had correspondence with the council, and have proposed that EXISTING plate holders should replace their cabs with NEWER ones. NEW plate applicants will need to buy Brand new. No idea what the response has been yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:38 pm 

bulldogdrummond wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

NEW APPLICANTS, To my understanding they have decided that when you buy another vehicle to replace your existing one the plate from the old cab ceases to exist and so you then become a NEW APPLICANT and must buy a brand new vehicle.
The Association have had correspondence with the council, and have proposed that EXISTING plate holders should replace their cabs with NEWER ones. NEW plate applicants will need to buy Brand new. No idea what the response has been yet.
It seems a reasonable proposal. The LA is on a sticky wicket if they insist that current plated owners get a brand new one. A suitable vehicle on their approved list is the correct interpretation of the 1847 act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50 am 

Just heard a good rumour about the Black cab minibuses in Chester. I admit its only a rumour but I beleive that they can take folks to the Airport but not allowed to collect them again :roll: :roll: If true Chester & Cheshire West should be reported the the OFT for a breach of the restriction of trade act. They are also in breach of the 1847 Police Town Clauses Act TUT TUT. Can anyone shed some light on the rumour....JD??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:29 pm 

Smoked Glass wrote:
Just heard a good rumour about the Black cab minibuses in Chester. I admit its only a rumour but I beleive that they can take folks to the Airport but not allowed to collect them again :roll: :roll: If true Chester & Cheshire West should be reported the the OFT for a breach of the restriction of trade act. They are also in breach of the 1847 Police Town Clauses Act TUT TUT. Can anyone shed some light on the rumour....JD??

We regularly pick people up from the airports on return and as long as it is pre booked then there is no problem.

My understanding is I can pick up anyone up from anywhere in the country as long as it is pre booked.

Sounds like someone has got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:26 pm 

Smoked Glass wrote:
Can anyone shed some light on the rumour....JD??

Not sure he will be able to answer that. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Not sure he will be able to answer that. :?

If he does......I'm gonna call ghostbusters :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:47 pm 

Probably just a bad rumour.