Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 pm 

MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Nigel wrote:
There's no need for the passenger to travel sideways, there's enough room in a TX for the passenger to be seated the right way and belted in, it sounds to me like the drivers can't be arsed to move them round and secure them in the right way.

IMO, this should be a clause / paragraph in the Hackney Bye-laws.

As your Fully aware the DDA Act is at this moment being revisited by the Department for Transport, meetings have taken place across the country with members of the trade, on the 9th September the DFT will be holding a meeting with the combined members of the group known as the meeting of minds, there are many issues to be discussed... I'm sure this is one of them. :roll:

Good ..... for the Minds that are Meeting!!

Glad to hear it.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:53 pm 

MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Thank you Skippy41 & JDBubbles for the detailed information that you both provided & that the ultra-hard-working Mr T was unable to provide due to the massive work load that he suffers daily.

Mr T; time for a holiday matey!!
To be honest the E7 And Liverpool court case has no interest for me .. But I did point you in the right direction... I had every confidence that somebody would put the full story up.
A friend of mine got married this weekend( for the third time) so the drinking started on Friday and finished this afternoon..... priorities.... :wink:

You've had your holiday then & what a good excuse for one.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:56 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
MR T wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Why does the British Taxi Industry always seem to be at loggerheads with LA's and Courts ? Seems to me our fellow European brothers don't take the same flack on such issues :?

In my opinion, it's probably because in the past associations and unions have spent more time fighting each other........ hopefully that has now changed.........

Since the government claim we are Europeans now would it be better to have a European taxi policy, whereby every country has the same rules and regulations that every driver or owner can understand

Apparently, somewhere deep in some European transport department literature is the European view that we, over on this island, should not be transporting passengers in wheelchair in taxis.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Why does the British Taxi Industry always seem to be at loggerheads with LA's and Courts ? Seems to me our fellow European brothers don't take the same flack on such issues :?

I think one of the problems is that we have 400+ councils adopting 400+ differing sets of rules. :sad:

So basically, what is required is to contact someone in government and get a set of rules that apply nationally, but we already have them, but the problem is some councils cannot read.
So we need a new set that everyone can understand, or pull licencing from the councils and place it under VOSA

What a good idea; not because it is VOSA, but because it would be an authority with a uniform approach nationally.

BTW, I heard today that the new chap at the DfT in the Taxi & Accessibility Dept is ex-VOSA.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 am 

Highlander wrote:
After my short time in TDO and, sifting through various posts regarding our Trade, the one thing that halts progress is undoubtedly.. INDIVIDUALITY...Not a good trait to gain our aims. eusasmiles.zip
Progress that is a good word.... but the thing is progress for who... if the man in the Department of Transport had his way..... we would be working under a one Tear :shock: system... hackney of course... saloon cars would be gone.... but you would have a choice of which WAV you could purchase... all meters linked into the Inland Revenue ... testing and licensing under Vosa... 100 pounds on-the-spot fines for over ranking.. and so on.. and as for the officers.... I am sure their unions will make sure they fit into the new system..... they will simply be as thick as they are now just wearing a new uniform... and as for fare rises.. that could take years.... everybody has their own agenda including the man in the Department for Transport.. if on the way to the top he has to trample on you I don't think he'll lose much sleep..... up the revolution.... give the keys to the asylum to the inmate's...
no friendly warnings about your tyres.... just three points and a fine..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:11 am 

MR T wrote:
Highlander wrote:
After my short time in TDO and, sifting through various posts regarding our Trade, the one thing that halts progress is undoubtedly.. INDIVIDUALITY...Not a good trait to gain our aims. eusasmiles.zip
Progress that is a good word.... but the thing is progress for who... if the man in the Department of Transport had his way..... we would be working under a one Tear :shock: system... hackney of course... saloon cars would be gone.... but you would have a choice of which WAV you could purchase... all meters linked into the Inland Revenue ... testing and licensing under Vosa... 100 pounds on-the-spot fines for over ranking.. and so on.. and as for the officers.... I am sure their unions will make sure they fit into the new system..... they will simply be as thick as they are now just wearing a new uniform... and as for fare rises.. that could take years.... everybody has their own agenda including the man in the Department for Transport.. if on the way to the top he has to trample on you I don't think he'll lose much sleep..... up the revolution.... give the keys to the asylum to the inmate's...
no friendly warnings about your tyres.... just three points and a fine..

To be honest, i think a one tier system would have it's benefits, both Driver and passenger safety for one, easily identified Wav's are surely a big plus. I'm not that convinced that the Saloon hacks would agree but, i for one would not hesitate in making the transition. I believe that new legislation must be agreed and initiated from both the Trade and the Government. At the end of the day, it's up to both, to realise that the public pay both wages, and therefore deserve a safe and reliable service for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 am 
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
MR T wrote:
Highlander wrote:

In my opinion, it's probably because in the past associations and unions have spent more time fighting each other........ hopefully that has now changed.........

Since the government claim we are Europeans now would it be better to have a European taxi policy, whereby every country has the same rules and regulations that every driver or owner can understand

Apparently, somewhere deep in some European transport department literature is the European view that we, over on this island, should not be transporting passengers in wheelchair in taxis.

I thought the passenger had to get out of the wheelchair when they were in the vehicle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 pm 

BC.... I received a phone call today from a friend who is part of Allied and was at the court case...... it would seem that the costs are in the region of £800,000 . and the disability group are claiming 250,000 . Allied also claiming 2 million in lost revenue.
the judge has gone on holiday for a few weeks and when he comes back will be finalising costs...... whichever way it works out whether it be 1 million or 3 million other councils will have to seriously review the position regarding the E7.... and I think they should also include London....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm 

MR T wrote:
BC.... I received a phone call today from a friend who is part of Allied and was at the court case...... it would seem that the costs are in the region of £800,000 . and the disability group are claiming 250,000 . Allied also claiming 2 million in lost revenue.
the judge has gone on holiday for a few weeks and when he comes back will be finalising costs...... whichever way it works out whether it be 1 million or 3 million other councils will have to seriously review the position regarding the E7....
Quote:
and I think they should also include London....[/
quote]

London and the other few remaining places will have to comply with the court ruling or anyone could take them to court and win now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:47 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
London and the other few remaining places will have to comply with the court ruling or anyone could take them to court and win now

If they get the local disability groups behind them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:01 pm 

MR T wrote:
the judge has gone on holiday for a few weeks and when he comes back will be finalising costs...... whichever way it works out whether it be 1 million or 3 million other councils will have to seriously review the position regarding the E7.... and I think they should also include London....

I don't!!

And the reason is that London already have an 'E7 Type' vehicle that is licensed; the Mercedes Vito with rear wheel steering which has the 25ft turning circle.

But I am intrigued & would like to read the full judgment to see whether the judge/s specifically stated or implied that the E7 should be licensed by Liverpool or whether a vehicle of that size should be licensed, i.e. Mercedes Vito with rear wheel steering.

I have tried to find the judgment on the BAILI site, but can't find it.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:04 pm 

Big cost though at that money.

Liverpool's council tax will go up a lot next time to pay for this.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I have tried to find the judgment on the BAILI site, but can't find it.

I suspect it's because the judge has gone on holiday without approving the written transcript. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 am 

Best I hold out on the future Mercedes Vito purchase then?

Hopefuly two years will be enough for Allied to ask the PCO to reconsider there decision from 2005 in light of this case.

In saying that though, by the time you pay for the Air Con and the Automatic version, I'm betting they will be no cheaper than the current choice.

Perhaps we should go down the Doblo road? :?

On second thoughts, perhaps not. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:55 pm 

GBC wrote:
In saying that though, by the time you pay for the Air Con and the Automatic version, I'm betting they will be no cheaper than the current choice.

Top of the range E7 is about £27,000. And that includes just about everything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next