Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:00 pm 
Sussex wrote:
GBC wrote:
In saying that though, by the time you pay for the Air Con and the Automatic version, I'm betting they will be no cheaper than the current choice.

Top of the range E7 is about £27,000. And that includes just about everything.

Thought it was more than that for the whole shooting match? Alloy wheels, A/C, underfloor ramp etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:02 pm 

Nigel wrote:
Thought it was more than that for the whole shooting match? Alloy wheels, A/C, underfloor ramp etc etc.

£27,000 is what they quoted me. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:46 am 

A little bit more from the Scottish press.

It would appear Liverpool also lost in relation to EU competition laws, which will have an effect on London. :shock:

I wish the judge had released the written judgement before he went on his holiday. :sad:

http://www.sundayherald.com/business/bu ... 65.0.0.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 pm 

Liverpool wheelchair group hails taxi ruling

LIVERPOOL wheelchair taxi campaigners are rightly celebrating a landmark High Court victory. But I'm just puzzled why their fight ever had to get this far – and leave ratepayers with what will almost certainly be a whopping legal bill.

The campaigners fought tirelessly to overturn a decision by the council's licensing committee to reject an application for a wheelchair accessible Peugeot E7 cab, made by Glasgow-based Allied Vehicles.

The new-style cabs, which Liverpool Wheelchair Users Group say provides a good and ‘safer’ alternative for people who have difficulty in using black cabs, are already used in many cities across the country – and in all neighbouring Merseyside authorities, despite the city council's concerns about its sliding doors and turning space.

All the campaigners want is the right to choose to use a cab that is best – and safer – for them. That's not too much to ask, is it? Judge Justice Blake has now ruled the council must reconsider its decision.

The court noted the council's Equality Impact Assessment had been inadequate and that errors of fundamental fact had been made by the decision-making committee which had not taken much of the evidence on board.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission, which supported the campaigners, argued that the council's decision was unlawful as it discriminated against disabled people contrary to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.

It also argued that the process leading to the decision was flawed and unfair and the Equality Impact Assessment carried out by the council as part of the decision-making process was defective.

Susie Uppal, director of the Commission's enforcement team, said: "Access to public transport, and taxis in particular, is a fundamental issue for disabled people and essential to them in order to access the same opportunities as non-disabled people."

Wheelchair user Alma Lunt, who brought the claim against the council, said: "We are used to facing many barriers and challenges in daily life and were determined to press on and get our voices listened to."

Liverpool Wheelchair Users Group secretary, John Bruce, said: “Liverpool Licensing Committee, officers and solicitors have spent so much time in the last two years denying there are difficulties and safety issues for wheelchair users in using the black cabs.

"Anything and everything seems to have been done to block access to the Peugeot E7, a modern style taxi cab design, which can safely accommodate many of today's larger wheelchairs."

Donald Pow, at Allied Vehicles, said: "The ruling is terrific for disabled people in Liverpool and will have positive implications for others from all over the country."

The formal judgement will be given on September 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:39 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But I'm just puzzled why their fight ever had to get this far – and leave ratepayers with what will almost certainly be a whopping legal bill.

Indeed.

Sussex wrote:
The formal judgement will be given on September 7.

Nice holiday for his Lordship. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:42 pm 

That's the turning circle out of the window at last :D :D :D

GBC Order your E7 now :D

How many places still insist on lti cabs at the moment :lol: :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:48 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
How many places still insist on lti cabs at the moment :lol: :lol: :D

No where as far as I am aware?

The Mercedes is not manufactured by LTI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I have tried to find the judgment on the BAILI site, but can't find it.

I suspect it's because the judge has gone on holiday without approving the written transcript. :roll: :roll:

The inconsiderate Little Lordship!

Who does he think he is going on annual leave before writing his tome about the E7.

Now we all have to wait until his a*se has had a good sunning.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 pm 

GBC wrote:
In saying that though, by the time you pay for the Air Con and the Automatic version, I'm betting they will be no cheaper than the current choice.

To my knowledge there is no automatic version & I don't think they will be making one soon either.

Even if there was it is most likely that it would give mega-trouble, because French autoboxes are renowned to be poor when heavily used.

I remember all too well from my towing days; you could not even get an extra cooler on the damned things.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:07 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
To my knowledge there is no automatic version & I don't think they will be making one soon either.

If they get London on their list, trust me there will be. :wink:

Otherwise not many folks are going to go manual in the big smoke, me included, even for a cheaper Taxi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:43 am 

GBC wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Otherwise not many folks are going to go manual in the big smoke, me included, even for a cheaper Taxi.

I hope you are right because I would consider buying an E7 auto.

But even if they do start producing an automatic gearbox version, I doubt if it will be at all reliable considering the track record of French auto boxes.

Although I would hate to go back to a manual box after 30+ years driving an auto, my thoughts would be heavily weighted towards a manual, because of the reliability factor.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 am 

The jungle drums are playing in Liverpool..... the rumour mill says that Liverpool will be appealing the decision..... true or false is to be seen..... it would seem that costs have been greatly exaggerated .... smoke and mirrors .... seems to be the game ..... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:52 pm 

GBC wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Spoke to Richard Coleman, branch manager of Allied Vehicles (Cab Direct), Coventry today, who told me that the E7 with auto gearbox will be available in about 12-18 months.

Have you been talking to them already Mr GBC?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:42 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
GBC wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Spoke to Richard Coleman, branch manager of Allied Vehicles (Cab Direct), Coventry today, who told me that the E7 with auto gearbox will be available in about 12-18 months.

Funny that BC. they told me the same thing for or five years ago..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 pm 

MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
GBC wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Funny that BC. they told me the same thing four or five years ago..

Obviously, Allied Vehicles, Coventry branch, must have been in Bullsh*t Mode then.

How surprising that a salesman would say such a thing.

Thanks for the warning.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next