Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VOSA spot checks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 am 

Do VOSA have the power to give taxis & private hire vehicles on the spot fines?

Our LA has written to all the operators quoting "VOSA have stated that from the next planned check in December, they will impose on the spot fines and also prosecute when a vehicle is presented in a state not fit for use on the highway. On the spot fines can be as high as £900".

I've done a bit of research and from what i gather they only have the power to fine/prosecute PSV's and HGV's?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Post subject: Re: VOSA spot checks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 am 

Super Fly wrote:
Do VOSA have the power to give taxis & private hire vehicles on the spot fines?

Over vehicle issues yes, over licensing issues no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:57 pm 

Just to clarify your question, VOSA are all sworn in Police Constables with the power of arrest. They can issue on the spot fines for whatever they can find wrong with any vehicle anytime. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 am 

so basically your saying we're fcked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:27 am 

For minor issues won't they just issue rectification notices or advisories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:10 am 

Super Fly wrote:

We're not, but iffy folks are. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:37 pm 

Super Fly wrote:

youve only just realised that?

they can also slap a notice on the vehicle and stop it moving, so dont argue with em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:57 pm 

Smoked Glass wrote:
Just to clarify your question, VOSA are all sworn in Police Constables with the power of arrest. They can issue on the spot fines for whatever they can find wrong with any vehicle anytime. :cry:

They're not. :shock:

The office of Constable in closely controlled under the Police Act. You’re confusing this with certain powers afforded to them under the act from which they draw power to inspect vehicles and thus enables them to issue prohibitation notices and F.P.N's.
Being a Constable is all about accountability, a complaints system and hence we have the independent PCA.
The folks that work for VOSA are accountable directly to their line managers, not the public.

They're a tad like the pretend 'Traffic Police' that drive around in the latest £45K Range Rovers (Recession, what recession?) with 'Traffic Officer' emblazoned all over it.
I am of course referring to the Highways Agency Wombles, who have no powers other than those set out in the act that govern them, which is basically to close roads and stop traffic by using rolling road blocks, but not to conduct stops on individual moving cars.

Look at the rumours connected with them! 'They do you for speeding' 'They have Blue lights' 'They carry handcuffs' etc, all of which are urban myths.

I'm sure V.O.S.A, which is basically the new name for the old Vehicle Inspectorate, are all very professional, but Police Officers they ain't. :wink:

I've a suspicion they are even barred from volunteering as Specials with their local forces because of their occupations, but I'd have to look up the list to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 pm 

Quote:
I'm sure V.O.S.A, which is basically the new name for the old Vehicle Inspectorate, are all very professional, but Police Officers they ain't

You are confused and are trying to misslead our friend.
They are sworn in as basic PC's. Traffic Officers are NOT. VOSA officers can pull anyone over for a spot check thereby freeing up the Traffic Police for other duties. You may now notice that all VOSA roadside check points have no Traffic Police pressence now because the VOSA Officers have the power themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am 

Smoked Glass wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure V.O.S.A, which is basically the new name for the old Vehicle Inspectorate, are all very professional, but Police Officers they ain't

They are sworn in as basic PC's. Traffic Officers are NOT. VOSA officers can pull anyone over for a spot check thereby freeing up the Traffic Police for other duties. You may now notice that all VOSA roadside check points have no Traffic Police pressence now because the VOSA Officers have the power themselves.

They are accreditted officials under the 2002 Police Reform Act granted the power to stop vehicles without a police officer being present, if you fail to stop then you contravene section 67 of the road traffic act, this power was granted to them on July 27th 2004 by Mr Jamieson who was at the time the minister for roads, the good news for our friends north of the border is that this law does not apply in Scotland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 am 

the thinker wrote:
They are accreditted officials under the 2002 Police Reform Act granted the power to stop vehicles without a police officer being present, if you fail to stop then you contravene section 67 of the road traffic act, this power was granted to them on July 27th 2004 by Mr Jamieson who was at the time the minister for roads, the good news for our friends north of the border is that this law does not apply in Scotland.

Correct :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:42 pm 

the thinker wrote:
Smoked Glass wrote:
Quote:

Correct, but they're not sworn in as Constables!

The only folks sworn in as Constables are Police Officers, end of.

In London some boroughs have Parks Constables attested under the old Ministry of Housing Act dating from the 1960's, and some ports still retain Constables that were appointed under a long repealed Ports Act, but most of them are being replaced by Security Guards as their 'Police' powers were on dodgy grounds to say the least.

Liverpool still has a Private Police force in the shape of the Mersey Tunnels Police, but again their powers are limited to what is basically 'private land' that being the tunnels, the approach roads and the marshalling areas.

Whilst the examiners at VOSA have a power of Stop, they're not Constables, there's no such thing as a 'basic PC', you’re either a PC or not. Even Specials are sworn in as Constables the same as the regular force.

I've not seen any 'VOSA' only checks, they're on sticky grounds trying to stop vehicles, whilst they may have the power, how many members of the public would stop for anyone other than a Police Officer in Uniform?

It's fair to say the majority of LGV drivers know who they are and will stop when directed to.

The Police tend to do the (latest buzz phrase) 'Multi-Agency approach' in partnership with VOSA.

Now that everyone has dozed off . . . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:50 pm 

There are loads of VOSA vehicles on the Midlands motorway networks, usually parked up at police vantage points along the side of the motorway.

They have MPVs with the bodywork covered in large black & yellow square checks & VOSA in large letters on the side of the vehicles ..... so you can't mistake them for what they are.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:55 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
There are loads of VOSA vehicles on the Midlands motorway networks, usually parked up at police vantage points along the side of the motorway.

They have MPVs with the bodywork covered in large black & yellow square checks & VOSA in large letters on the side of the vehicles ..... so you can't mistake them for what they are.

You sure you're not thinking of the Highways Agency Wombles, they both drive similar motors, no expense spared.

Talking of Brum, there's another bunch of chancers that used to dress up as the Police.

The Birmingham Markets Police. :roll:

No act, no powers, but they used to dress up to look like the Police. :roll:

FFS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:12 am 

GBC wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

You sure you're not thinking of the Highways Agency Wombles, they both drive similar motors, no expense spared.

Talking of Brum, there's another bunch of chancers that used to dress up as the Police.

The Birmingham Markets Police. :roll:

No act, no powers, but they used to dress up to look like the Police. :roll:

FFS.

Definitely, definitely VOSA. I see them almost every day when I'm up & down the motorways from the airport. They do have VOSA on the side of the vehicles.

And the Birmingham Wholsale Market's police are still there. They wouldn't let me in last time to get some big portions of greens & groceries for a party, so I had to park outside & cart the stuff to the cab. Next time I have to go in I'll tell them I'm picking up Mr Bickerstaff, one of the oldest if not the oldest traders there. That should get me in.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.