Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: hackney carriage
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02 pm 

does anyone know if it still the case that a hackney carriage licensed by one authority can go and work in another authority on a private hire circuit,and does the driver need an additional badge for the other borough as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 pm 

The law is still the same as it was in 1847. You can infact do the work but the councils do not condone the practice. You do not need to be badged with two councils either.
We are awaiting the outcome of the Wrexham case for clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 pm 

Smoked Glass wrote:

Wasn't the Wrexham case dropped due to lack of funds?

CC

Post subject: Re: hackney carriage
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm 

taxitone wrote:
does anyone know if it still the case that a hackney carriage licensed by one authority can go and work in another authority on a private hire circuit,and does the driver need an additional badge for the other borough as well

It's still the case, and no you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Smoked Glass wrote:

Wasn't the Wrexham case dropped due to lack of funds?

CC
Not sure Captain, seems to have gone very quiet. Me thinks they were on to get a good hiding in court[Wrexham Council] so they have quietly let it go. Somebody in their legal department has told them that they are not responsible for the law making in Britain and the Government is. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 pm 

taxitone wrote:

We could have a pretty good ruck about this.....despite what the judge in the Berwick case said.....the DFT still believe the Com Cab vs. DPP judgement is the correct interpretation.......i.e. the HC can accept a booking from anywhere......provided it is within its prescribed distance.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:49 am 

captain cab wrote:
taxitone wrote:

We could have a pretty good ruck about this.....despite what the judge in the Berwick case said.....the DFT still believe the Com Cab vs. DPP judgement is the correct interpretation.......i.e. the HC can accept a booking from anywhere......provided it is within its prescribed distance.

CC
I contacted Powys CC Licensing & they said I could have a HC without a Knowledge test-no problem £100/3 year badge £100/1 yr plate + crb etc. I then told the officer my address; [Flintshire] and could I still get licensed with them? Answer …NO!
Their answer was that because of the Berwick case, they have to consider were the applicant was residing. I said that the law has not changed & why are they altering their policy because I live outside there area. The officer then explained that because of the judge’s comments, they had changed the licensing policy at Powys to reflect the law.
I then told him again The Law remains unchanged! ....yes you can probably see the merry-go-round syndrome entering into our conversation about now.
He did however say that it was prudent not to license applicants so far away from the licensing area because the vehicles would be difficult to manage effectively.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:26 pm 

Smoked Glass wrote:
captain cab wrote:
taxitone wrote:

CC
I contacted Powys CC Licensing & they said I could have a HC without a Knowledge test-no problem £100/3 year badge £100/1 yr plate + crb etc. I then told the officer my address; [Flintshire] and could I still get licensed with them? Answer …NO!
Their answer was that because of the Berwick case, they have to consider were the applicant was residing. I said that the law has not changed & why are they altering their policy because I live outside there area. The officer then explained that because of the judge’s comments, they had changed the licensing policy at Powys to reflect the law.
I then told him again The Law remains unchanged! ....yes you can probably see the merry-go-round syndrome entering into our conversation about now.
He did however say that it was prudent not to license applicants so far away from the licensing area because the vehicles would be difficult to manage effectively.

If they were to interpret the Berwick case like that in Brum, I would loose by licenses tomorrow, because I now live outside Brum.

It seems total nonesense to me; how about all the London cabbies that live nowhere near London.

I think your council are interpreting this incorrectly.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:04 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
If they were to interpret the Berwick case like that in Brum, I would loose by licenses tomorrow, because I now live outside Brum.

It seems total nonesense to me; how about all the London cabbies that live nowhere near London.

But you have a Birmingham HC plate with the intention of working Birmingham.....and by the sounds of it....Flintshire aint his council.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:15 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

But you have a Birmingham HC plate with the intention of working Birmingham.....and by the sounds of it....Flintshire aint his council.

CC

Does he intend to work Flintshire?

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:44 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

My mistake....he asked for a Powys license and they wouldnt grant it because his address was flintshire.........now presumably he wanted to license his cab there because it was cheaper.....and he had no intention of working Powys.

Thats my guess anyway. :wink:

CC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:17 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

My mistake....he asked for a Powys license and they wouldnt grant it because his address was flintshire.........now presumably he wanted to license his cab there because it was cheaper.....and he had no intention of working Powys.

Thats my guess anyway. :wink:

CC

I would guess the other way round; that he does intend to work the area where the license is issued i.e. Powys.

I got the areas a*se about t*t too.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:25 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I would guess the other way round; that he does intend to work the area where the license is issued i.e. Powys.

I got the areas a*se about t*t too.

He did state;

£100/3 year badge

£100/1 yr plate + crb

HC without a Knowledge test

I think that tells a story.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:25 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

CC
Flintshire aint you are correct!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:32 pm 

I have stated in a previous thread about Flintshires large Licensing bill, it was over £870 all in. Powys would be £130 average per year + medical/compliance/meter/top sign/crb another £430 = £560. The following year it would be a more managable £200 as I would of already bought the new meter and top sign.