Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:02 pm 
conditions must be relevant, 25 foot circle relevant? goes back to the days b4 reverse gears

no these conditions are meant to exclude, thats why LTI are expensive and have a team to keep putting out drivel.

never thought I would see dusty defending this lot.

by the way our christmas present did not last to the new year, Micks back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:33 pm 

TDO wrote:
Hope I'm not stating the obvious, but the reason LTI have a virtual monopoly in many cities is not because they are the preferred supplier, but because only they (and Metrocab) manufacture vehicles meeting the London Conditions of Fitness (CoF) and in particular the tight turning circle specified.

Thus any supplier that could manufacture a vehicle meeting the CoF could enter the market, but the limited market for such vehicles means that it's only economic for effectively one manufacturer to make them, and the effective monopoly is conducive neither to low prices or high quality.

Of course, the CoF are to a large extent a historical legacy, and whether the claims about them deriving from having to accomodate a top hat or a bale of stray are true or taxi rank myth, the turning circle is still one aspect that still has some resonance in modern times.

Thus the CoF in general, and the turning circle in particular, provide a reasonable rationale for LAs that wish to maintain LTI's monopoly, but of course the cynical view is that this is merely the ostensible reason for retaining the CoF, and their retention in fact has more to do with, for example, that the T&G is both influential at LTI's Coventry plant and in many of the LAs that might be affected by allowing 'alternative' vehicles to operate - the strong support for retaining the CoF in the T&G's Cab Trade News is perhaps symptomatic of this. The kind of 'buy British/Europhobic' argument provided in the opening post in this thread perhaps provides another rationale that may influence local policy makers, with the CoF providing a convenient smokescreen for this way of thinking.

As regards the law, it would probably be illegal under local government law if LTI were specified as the only manufacturer of taxis allowed to operate. In EU law this would also be prima facie discriminatory against foreign supplier, as more obviously would specifying only UK manufactured products.

But of course this is not what is specified - it's the CoF - and it just so happens that only LTI manufactures vehicles meeting them.

Therefore the probable questions under EU law is whether the CoF indirectly discriminate against other countries exports or impede the free movement of goods.

Of course, just because it may do this, this does not mean that it may not be done on unreasonable grounds, and thus the big test probably comes down to whether the CoF, and the turning circle in particular, is reasonable.

This debate has already taken place in London, of course, and TfL/PCO seemed to ignore some of the evidence, for example that the tight turning circle encouraged dangerous manoeuvres, thus being detrimental to road safety rather than conducive to it, in which case any ostensible rationale for the CoF would seem pretty thin indeed.

But it seems that all this has yet to be tested in a court of law, and if Allied has its way then it possibly never will.

As for the possibility of saloon cars in London and elsewhere, this seems unlikely - even if the turning cirlcle was abandoned, in seems unlikely that the WAV aspect would be, since it seems improbable that this would be considered unreasonable - indeed, didn't someone on here keep on saying that the impetus for the DDA came from Europe? I'm not sure about that, but it seems unlikely that the EU would strike the WAV criterion down, and also whether anyone would challenge it in the first place - probably not Allied, for a start!

So a more likely outcome is probably what we now see in some of the big cities - a mixture of LTIs, Metros and 'alternative' vehicles.

I wouldn't under estimate the EU. It has 25 members and only one insists on specific attributes regarding type of vehicle. So far the EU has left local licensing policy alone and has not interferred with its method of application but that does not mean it wont change in the future.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:11 am 

Yorkie wrote:
conditions must be relevant, 25 foot circle relevant? goes back to the days b4 reverse gears

no these conditions are meant to exclude, thats why LTI are expensive and have a team to keep putting out drivel.

never thought I would see dusty defending this lot.

WTF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:12 am 

Yorkie wrote:

Never thought I would see you defending Mick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:22 am 

JD wrote:
I wouldn't under estimate the EU. It has 25 members and only one insists on specific attributes regarding type of vehicle. So far the EU has left local licensing policy alone and has not interferred with its method of application but that does not mean it wont change in the future.

The reason for this might well be that many EU countries don't like interfering with vested interests in their own backyard, and if there's a collective element to this then so much the better, as in CAP subsidies in France and Germany.

So I can't really envisage EU interference with the DDA in the UK, because they won't really like the thought of interference in their taxi cartels on their own doorsteps. But I suspect that if anything it might be a move towards WAVs rather than away from them, given the apparent 'social' aspect to the EU.

In fact I think there are generally exemptions from EU measures as regards social legislation such as the DDA, indeed it would be surprising if the Govt had gone so far with the DDA if they thought that it could be interfered with from Brussels, both with regard to taxis and the DDA more generally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:25 pm 

Does the thought not occur to anyone apart from the few, that the UK's laws pertaining to the DDA are way ahead of our euro counterparts?

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Does the thought not occur to anyone apart from the few, that the UK's laws pertaining to the DDA are way ahead of our euro counterparts?

Regards

Captain cab

I just wonder how far ahead we would be if we didn't have purpose built vehicles? Take away the purpose built vehicle and we are more or less on a par with Europe.

There is only so much you can do with a saloon vehicle.

I expect sooner or later the Black cab as we know it will become extinct, what happens then? Europe has a Transport bill coming out in 2007 which will effect us all, what goodies can we expect from that?

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:17 pm 

JD wrote:
Europe has a Transport bill coming out in 2007 which will effect us all, what goodies can we expect from that?

A free and open taxi market would be a good start. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:49 pm 

JD wrote:
I just wonder how far ahead we would be if we didn't have purpose built vehicles? Take away the purpose built vehicle and we are more or less on a par with Europe.

You've hit the DDA nail on the head there John.

As mentioned earlier, the unique shape and size of the PB taxi is due to a historical legacy, and had more to do with top hats and bales of hay than wheelchairs.

But this fortuitously made the PB taxi easily convertible to wheelchair accessibility, so licensing authorities such as the PCO and in Edinburgh (I think!) could introduce mandatory WAVs without too much problem.

But clearly going WAV in saloon areas is a different proposition, which is one reason for the delay in the DDA implementation.

Likewise, many LAs have taken the easy way out and issued any new plates only to WAVs (whether while derestricting numbers or otherwise), which to some extent burys the WAV issue, gains them kudos with the disabled lobby, and also with the saloon car owners.

As you allude, things might have been very different if the whole UK had been saloon car like the Continent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:50 am 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:

You've hit the DDA nail on the head there John.

As mentioned earlier, the unique shape and size of the PB taxi is due to a historical legacy, and had more to do with top hats and bales of hay than wheelchairs.

But this fortuitously made the PB taxi easily convertible to wheelchair accessibility, so licensing authorities such as the PCO and in Edinburgh (I think!) could introduce mandatory WAVs without too much problem.

But clearly going WAV in saloon areas is a different proposition, which is one reason for the delay in the DDA implementation.

Likewise, many LAs have taken the easy way out and issued any new plates only to WAVs (whether while derestricting numbers or otherwise), which to some extent burys the WAV issue, gains them kudos with the disabled lobby, and also with the saloon car owners.

As you allude, things might have been very different if the whole UK had been saloon car like the Continent.

Yes I aggree entirely with what you say.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:02 pm 
TDO wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

Never thought I would see you defending Mick!

how uncharitable of you I always protect the underdog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:40 pm 

Yorkie wrote:

how uncharitable of you I always protect the underdog.

Only joking of course, as you were (presumably) about me defending the turning circle.

I think :?