Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:01 am 

Hi all, please could someone direct me to any court cases/legislation in regards to a hack company giving work to a licensced/op licencesed PH driver.
A PH driver approached my company in regards to working for us (we are 100%hackney only and have no need in our district to have a operators licence). I explained that we have no ops license and he explained that he did as he was owner driver. Can our company take bookings through our system (we take name no etc same as PH) and subcontract this work to him. All records are being kept and every detail is being recorded correctly.
Yesterday our LO informed me that the PH must be the only one to take his bookings. Is this correct?. It seems a bit stupid in this day and age with apps data systems etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am 

I would ask to see, and check his operators license. If he does have an operators license then work can be sub contracted to him but he must have an operators license.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am 

grandad wrote:
I would ask to see, and check his operators license. If he does have an operators license then work can be sub contracted to him but he must have an operators license.

Agree with you but he must record every booking details he receives correctly,he is licensed as a p/h operator to invite bookings for the provision of a private hire vehicle even though he is a one man band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am 

He has definitely got ops licence, LO confirmed this but said he couldn't have his jobs subcontracted to him. We in the office are recording every job detail in a separate book for him as well as him keeping his own records. Could anyone give me any cases or what part of legislation could I argue this on?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am 

brodiedoe wrote:
Hi all, please could someone direct me to any court cases/legislation in regards to a hack company giving work to a licensced/op licencesed PH driver.
A PH driver approached my company in regards to working for us (we are 100%hackney only and have no need in our district to have a operators licence). I explained that we have no ops license and he explained that he did as he was owner driver. Can our company take bookings through our system (we take name no etc same as PH) and subcontract this work to him. All records are being kept and every detail is being recorded correctly.
Yesterday our LO informed me that the PH must be the only one to take his bookings. Is this correct?. It seems a bit stupid in this day and age with apps data systems etc.

I would ask your LO what law is being breached?

Or is he saying that your company isn't able to ask a licensed private hire operator to undertake work, yet a convicted killer could ask the same licensed private hire operator to undertake work? :-k

You would be passing work to a private hire operator, entirely legal. The fact that that licensed private hire operator will pass on that work to himself, a licensed private hire driver, is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 am 

She could not answer me when I asked what law we had breached. She said I had a "Quirky" way of interrupting PH laws. She is going to check it out with her legal department and get back to me by Friday .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 pm 

As a TAXI business(Hackney Carriage) you are acting on behalf of the passenger and booking a legitimate private hire operator to provide a p/h vehicle albeit his own.

There is not a violation of any Regulations in doing this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:50 pm 

whats a taxi business?

a taxi is a taxi, its office is a booking office

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
whats a taxi business?

a taxi is a taxi, its office is a booking office

Opposite to a private hire operator business who can only take a booking for the supply of a private hire vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 pm 

heathcote wrote:

Opposite to a private hire operator business who can only take a booking for the supply of a private hire vehicle.

And hackneys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 am 

Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

And hackneys.

Operators license only states provision to accept booking for a private hire vehicle. (1976 Act)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 pm 

heathcote wrote:
Operators license only states provision to accept booking for a private hire vehicle. (1976 Act)

Indeed that's why they can use hackneys as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:16 am 

Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Explain that,hackney carriage can never be a private hire vehicle so how can a private hire operator accept a booking for a hackney carriage,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:16 am 

Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Explain that,hackney carriage can never be a private hire vehicle so how can a private hire operator accept a booking for a hackney carriage,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:11 am 

heathcote wrote:
Sussex wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Look at it another way - a HC pre-booking operation doesn't need a licence.

But suppose they start taking on PH as well - now they'll need a PH operator's licence. But bookings received for HCs continue to be unregulated.

So look at it from the other direction - a PH-only operation starts taking on HCs as well. Now it's wearing two heads - a HC pre-booking head which doesn't need licensed, and a PH pre-booking head which does need a licence.