It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Public liability...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:27 pm 

I own 1 car

I have two school runs

My son owns his car

we both have H&R insurance and we both have PL insurance

NOW, county want the contractor (me) to cover ALL vehicles (owned or not) for PL...

Quote:
As our contracts are with you, and not individual owner drivers, you are required to hold adequate Public and Employer’s Liability Insurance (minimum £10m) to cover the operation of all of your contracts with the County Council. When you sign up to join the DPS it is clearly indicated in the online tender questionnaire that liability insurances must be held by the legal entity that is signing up and with whom we will have the contracts.

The cover held by individual owner drivers does not meet the insurance requirements of our contract conditions.

We cannot advise on where you obtain cover, but most reputable insurance brokers should be able to help you find the policy that you need.

Post subject: Re: Public liability...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:46 pm 

Broker says i CAN take out a £100 policy but any claim will NOT be paid out as i have no "insurance interest" in a vehicle i dont own

go figure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:12 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Broker says i CAN take out a £100 policy but any claim will NOT be paid out as i have no "insurance interest" in a vehicle i dont own

go figure

Put it on the price.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:28 am 

Public and employers liability usually covers the contractor and any persons working for him whether employed directly or not, any person visiting his premises etc. I have individual PLI for my now sole trader bus business (as opposed to ltd co which I sold recently).

It does not cover the vehicles, they are covered individually on he vehicle insurance. Legally, if you are contracting out to your son (or anyone else for that matter) you are liable in law for their actions. Maybe read the wording of your PLI policy a bit closer, you will probably find it will cover you. How does the council know it doesn't cover your son, have they read the policy?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:25 am 

I'm pleased i'm just a two person family run partnership, our PL insurance of £10M is built in to each of our Vehicles insurance policy's....and as we employ no one else we dont need employers liability insurance either, when we applied for a place on our LA's DPS this threw up a few issues as well for at first, it just wouldnt accept our answers re PL Insurance but after a few phone calls and a wee bit of effort the DPS application was modified slightly to make it achiveable for contractors to complete successfully.

I think initially the newly introduced DPS was an off the peg online application from Pubic Contracts Scotland and had a few wee issues with it, but luckily our LA are very good and have a fair bit of commonsense and they had ammended the DPs application to better suit their own LA requirements...sadly not all LA's are that obliging or accomodating nor have the will or savvy to do as ours did.

In all it just came down to a few glitches that were sorted out in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:57 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Public and employers liability usually covers the contractor and any persons working for him whether employed directly or not, any person visiting his premises etc. I have individual PLI for my now sole trader bus business (as opposed to ltd co which I sold recently).

It does not cover the vehicles, they are covered individually on he vehicle insurance. Legally, if you are contracting out to your son (or anyone else for that matter) you are liable in law for their actions. Maybe read the wording of your PLI policy a bit closer, you will probably find it will cover you. How does the council know it doesn't cover your son, have they read the policy?

i agree... but county pillocks dont...

I ill pay £103 go 50/50 with Jnr and never knowingly undercharge them ever......in the long run I win but

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:00 pm 

BTW, i asked about a trading status change to LTD company whilst keeping my work

they want £1750 solicitors fees off me so my lad will joinup as a contractor with me/wife in partnership maybe even as a ltd company and see how it goes

his run ends in July, mines is till april 2022

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:42 am 

There is a process known as "novation of contract", it is used a lot in the bus industry when one operator takes over from another on the saem terms if the first one goes broke or gets taken over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:50 pm 

I could make him a new partner into the business meaning he would be the contractor and his insurance would cover it but county still might moan

or "buy" his car off him, he would still be the V5 registered keeper and insured, i own the vehicle

county said "if there was an incident WE (county) would claim off YOU (contractor)" but surely the injured party would be the claimant?

they also instruct us, in event of a car accident NOT to admit blame.........