Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:05 pm 

While these licensing checks, which started on 4 April 2022 in England and Wales, do not include any calculations, it does confirm a driver is registered for tax on their licensed taxi or private hire vehicle income.

The new taxi rules however now makes sure that the revenue is being accounted for in Self-Assessment tax returns. All revenue generated by Private Hire Vehicle (PHV) will come direct from operators and have a digital trail.

It is hard to know at this stage how many drivers are mis-reporting their digital revenue at this stage and by how much.

In the gig-economy, which includes food delivery apps, there has been some bigger issues where multiple users share accounts to work on the platform.

In Spring 2023, following an increase in immigration offences by gig workers in the region, Home Office teams stepped up action to tackle illegal working and arrested drivers working for companies including Deliveroo, JustEat and UberEats.

Given the higher regulation standards set in the taxi and PHV industry, when compared to the courier gig sector, it is again more difficult to put a figure on the number of drivers currently working fraudulently.

However, what these new rules eradicate is the potential for drivers sharing licences moving forwards. A driver allowing someone else to work under their name fraudulently would now have to declare all the earnings made under the licensee's name and pay all tax liability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:48 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Hopefully loads and loads but you just know that even if IR demand the tax it won't get paid because the money and the earners of that money will have dissapeared.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:01 pm 

Quote:
It is hard to know at this stage how many drivers are mis-reporting their digital revenue at this stage and by how much.

Is it really that hard to estimate that number?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:51 am 

Uber is non-cash, all transactions recorded....

6000 uber drivers just left th UK :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:29 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

One wonders if the next step is for the likes of Uber to directly pass the tax to HMRC, akin to what happens in the building trade. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:05 pm 

An article on Taxi-Point's website has a couple of interesting points.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/taxi- ... ting-rules

The payment year is Jan to Dec, whereas we all file April to March. That seems like a lot of work for anyone checking.

And it seems firms are going to ask for National Insurance numbers. No way is any operator getting mine, but who checks the number is correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:19 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

One wonders if the next step is for the likes of Uber to directly pass the tax to HMRC, akin to what happens in the building trade. :shock:

one of our illuminati members here had HMRC gain info straight from a despatch SERVER (not the base) and the tax demand that followed it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:29 pm 

An interesting article from PHTM.

https://www.phtm.co.uk/news/6379/phtm-n ... ebc454c80c

I think it's trying to calm people down a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:52 pm 

Tax 'expert' wrote:
• Most of the platforms covered by the new legislation are open marketplaces that match sellers to buyers. Examples are Booking.com, eBay, Etsy as well as ridesharing apps such Uber, Bolt, OLA and Freenow.

• Private hire tech exists in a different space because it pairs operators with drivers, who are already regulated through their relationship with the licensing authority.

No, me neither #-o

Either I don't understand how it all works, or the author of the PHTM piece doesn't. To me, that all reads like, at best, a distinction without a difference. At worst, utter garbage :-o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:03 pm 

I think he is trying to say this new rule is (currently) aimed only at online platforms i.e. Uber, eBay, Deliveroo etc.

So any operator currently panicking and requiring drivers to give them their national insurance details is jumping a gun that hasn't been, and might not be fired for at least a little while.

And I'm still not sure how HMRC will check the declared income, from the 100s of 1000s of so-called self-employed folks, to see if they match the numbers supplied by those platforms.

Would be so much easier to change the law to make them PAYE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:04 pm 

And (skim) reading the PHTM piece as whole (which I haven't actually done yet, and doubt I ever will :lol: :oops: ), you'd be forgiven for thinking that Uber, Bolt et al aren't actually licensed as PH operators, nor even that their drivers require badges, nor that cars require plates :-o

Thought we'd left all that behind a few years ago now, but maybe not... :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:11 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I think he is trying to say this new rule is (currently) aimed only at online platforms i.e. Uber, eBay, Deliveroo etc.

Indeed, but it all reads like it's all aimed at something substantively and totally different from the traditional trade, whereas it's more of a spectrum between the two.

I mean, what's the difference between an A2B driver doing an app job and an Uber or Bolt driver doing an app job? :-k

Or a driver who was doing a Local Cab job via the Uber app? :-o

And it's interesting that the piece says that HMRC have still to define what kind of platform the new rules will apply to, which is maybe the crux of it all. I mean, Uber, Bolt and Ola are self-evident. But say a more traditional firm is doing 90% of its work via an app - would they be regarded as totally different to Uber and Bolt? :-k

So it will be interesting to see how HMRC defines it all, but the difficulty of providing a definition is probably why they haven't come up with one yet :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:41 am 

Sussex wrote:

And I'm still not sure how HMRC will check the declared income, from the 100s of 1000s of so-called self-employed folks, to see if they match the numbers supplied by those platforms.

I think they have purchased a new computer system to do the job for them. It has been developed by Fugitsu allegedly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I think they have purchased a new computer system to do the job for them. It has been developed by Fugitsu allegedly.

I doubt anyone needs to worry

Quote:
Staff at Fujitsu, the technology firm at the centre of the Post Office Horizon scandal, are due to go on strike tomorrow, which their trade union said could disrupt HM Revenue and Customs at the busiest time of year for tax collection.

About 300 staff, most of whom work in IT support for HMRC at sites in Telford and Stratford, east London, will go on strike in protest at a pay offer that the Public and Commercial Services union (PCS) said was 10 times less than what Fujitsu is offering staff in Japan.

The PCS said Fujitsu staff involved in fixing and protecting HMRC computers would take further action between 18 January and 15 February.

HMRC is understood to be confident that industrial action would not affect its ability to process self-assessment tax returns in the busy weeks before the 31 January deadline.

However, the PCS said it believed the strike was “likely to disrupt those seeking to complete their self-assessment tax returns by the end of the month”.

I would imagine they will concentrate on getting returns in rather than catching non payers

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:25 am 

Quote:
So it will be interesting to see how HMRC defines it all, but the difficulty of providing a definition is probably why they haven't come up with one yet :idea:

Maybe HMRC are just trying to spook those on those platforms to be a bit more honest with their returns. 8-[