Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:27 am 

In 1992 the Law Society Gazette wrote in respect of Hackney carriage licensing the following information. But I challenge the LSG to give us a new definition now that section 75 1 B has been repealed.

Where a vehicle is used for carrying passengers for hire or reward under a contract for the hire of the vehicle for a period of at least seven days, no licence is required under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 (see s 75(1(b)).

An agreement for the provision of a vehicle on a continuing basis, but where there is no agreed minimum or maximum length of the contract term nor any agreed period of notice, does not fall within the provisions of s 75(1)(b) (Crawley BC v Ovenden [1992] RTR 60).

I highlighted Ovenden and several other cases quite some time ago but I doubt the limo fraternity and ladies dressed in pink have ever heard of Ovenden outside of TDO.

My challenge to the law society Gazette is this, now that section 75 1 B has been repealed what is their definition of vehicles operating hire or reward without an appropriate license?

Regards

JD