Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:13 am 

our local council in their ultimate wisdom are applying the mandatory wav rule from this year(subject to change)
only good thing is we should all be on a level playing field,i hope.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:40 pm 

andy fosher wrote:
only good thing is we should all be on a level playing field.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:38 pm 

Level playing field eh?

So your Council is applying the rule to PH too?

So your Council is stopping subsidy for buses and all other forms of competing transport?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:04 am 

Andy7 wrote:

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:19 am 
Andy7 wrote:
Level playing field eh?

So your Council is stopping subsidy for buses and all other forms of competing transport?

Ah subsidy Andy dear sir, we had a meeting last week with rep from Notts County Council, she was amazed that the hackney trade receive no grants from the local authorities, she told us Stagecoach had over £100,000 form Notts County Council last year, Central Trains had over £250,000 last year, the Taxi and PH trade had nothing :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: She told us she will do everything in her power to ensure that we receive some sort of grant from the County Council.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:21 am 
andy fosher wrote:
our local council in their ultimate wisdom are applying the mandatory wav rule from this year(subject to change)
only good thing is we should all be on a level playing field,i hope.

Stick it up them Andy, they can't make you go all WAV, they will be discriminating against those people who can't get in them. Newark and Sherwood are trying to bring the all WAV thing in to. Our Council are having a split of saloons and WAV's, people like the choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:09 pm 

Brighton & Hove City council have recently written in giving support to a mixed fleet of vehicle sating that it see's no reason to change it's policy. Brighton is one of the areas designated to be all WAV in the governments recent article on WAV accessability.

However, any new plate being issue (19 recently and 5 per year for the next three years has to be a WAV)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:57 pm 
scanner wrote:
Brighton & Hove City council have recently written in giving support to a mixed fleet of vehicle sating that it see's no reason to change it's policy. Brighton is one of the areas designated to be all WAV in the governments recent article on WAV accessability.

However, any new plate being issue (19 recently and 5 per year for the next three years has to be a WAV)

Nice to see the Councils are giving the goverment what for Scanner, mixed fleets work well in all other areas it's nice to see Brighton Council talking some sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:21 pm 

I sometimes wonder how London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield and the hundred odd other councils manage to operate a taxi service.

Or maybe I don't.

And isn't it funny how the only drivers defending a mixed fleet, are those that a) might have to buy a WAV in the future, or b) advocate others coming into the trade buy them. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:43 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
I sometimes wonder how London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield and the hundred odd other councils manage to operate a taxi service.

Or maybe I don't.

And isn't it funny how the only drivers defending a mixed fleet, are those that a) might have to buy a WAV in the future, or b) advocate others coming into the trade buy them. :?

No it's not funny Andy, you can discriminate against able bodied people as well as diabled people. A lot of people don't like WAV's, alot of people will walk round a WAV to get to a saloon, it's proved that in Dundee. If you look in all the cities you mention the PH trade are making a killing because of the WAV's. I can speak for Nottingham because they have F***ED the HC trade up big style with it being all WAV's, a mate of mine works in Nottingham for Trent cars and says their trade has increased 40% since the WAV rule was bought in 8 years ago, the HC trades prices have been increased to cover the extra costs of the WAV's this being passed on to the public. A ride to Mansfield from Nottingham is £20 in a PH, in a HC it's £30+ not a deal of difference is there??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:52 pm 

My point Nigel, isn't that having all WAVs is a good thing, it's just I don't think it's fair that some will have to pay for them, whilst others wont.

I think the government should subsidies WAVs, but I also think that isn't going to happen. :(

Post subject: access vehicles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:40 pm 
check out age limits page 2

cheers[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:54 pm 
Nidge wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

Or maybe I don't.

No it's not funny Andy, you can discriminate against able bodied people as well as diabled people. A lot of people don't like WAV's, alot of people will walk round a WAV to get to a saloon, it's proved that in Dundee. If you look in all the cities you mention the PH trade are making a killing because of the WAV's. I can speak for Nottingham because they have F***ED the HC trade up big style with it being all WAV's, a mate of mine works in Nottingham for Trent cars and says their trade has increased 40% since the WAV rule was bought in 8 years ago, the HC trades prices have been increased to cover the extra costs of the WAV's this being passed on to the public. A ride to Mansfield from Nottingham is £20 in a PH, in a HC it's £30+ not a deal of difference is there??

there is lies, damn lies and statistics, you deliberatly imply that the 40% increase is due to work form taxis.

consider,
1 changes in the trade in the last 8 years, dot claim big increase in trade size.

2 demographic change, more getting older, population changes some areas rising fast.

3, gains from straight forward competition.

then youll consider things not that straightforward.